IGNORED

Worst City Player Ever

Superjack

OK, I'll hold my hands up, I just wanted to start a thread as I haven't done so before.

But while we're here...

I know Bas Savage is going to be mentioned and rightly so IMO, but who else?

If we're talking strikers, I would put Ian Baird up there as well. I'll never forget being behind the goal before a game when the City players were warming up. Baird took it upon himself to have shooting practice from the edge of the penalty area at an open goal. He must have had twenty shots and didn't put one in the net.

Also, Brian Mitchell, what a mule.

I can sense Agyemang coming for some reason...

Finally, I know I'm going to get slated and I think he's a great coach and rightly part of the furniture at AG, but I have to say I always thought Millen was an awful defender, although I'm sure we have had many worse in our time.

Thread might just as well have stopped after 1 post.

Immediately Brian Mitchell sticks out as by far the worst player I have seen.

However on looking at other peoples posts he is facing some competition.

Gus Caesar was bad and Gary Stanley and Scott McGarvey were pretty bad. Henry McKop was not much cop. sean dyche, Liam Robinson were not that good as well.

We have had allot of donkeys. However I think for pure utter terrible play it has to be: Brian Mitchell

I actually felt sorry for the guy at Luton away. Even City fans were giving him grief. He honestly could not trap a simple pass to him. I think pressure must have got to him as no one surely can be that bad. I wonder what he is doing now.

From the Pulis era argh.gif Sean Dyche and Martin Kuhl. The later had the turning ability of an oil tanker.

From the 80s: Brian Williams. I always remember the entire Gate falling silent when the bloke who sits in Dolman C Block with the world's loudest voice shouted: "Williams, you're a cabbage!" after the hapless Northener was outfoxed by yet another opposition forward. No-one was arguing.

Recent times: Agyemang.

Andy Smith, The stricker Johnson signed in our promotion season. Played 10 games scored 0. According to wikipedia and soccer base he still hasnt scored in his professional career and hes 29! Even played for northern ireland 18 times without a goal!!!

Found it, it was 442, did not think it was that long ago.. Sorry Rick

The June 1999 edition of the excellent football magazine Four Four Two had a feature in which fans of each English league and Scottish premier side nominated the worse player of all time to represent their team.

Worse Players Link

It's amazing to see how many players on that list actually played for City also !!

^ Gary Marshall, dross.

Also (as said elsewhere), Gary Stanley and Sean Dyche

Others who spring to mind that perhaps haven't been mentioned:

Craig Woodman (poor, and IMO the reason we lost that vital game up at Sheff Wed at the end of I think the '04 season)

Michael Bridges (big flop)

Kevin Nugent (scored a few, bit of a donkey tho)

Tony Rougier (total w*ank against Brightion in playoffs)

Cameron Toshack (yep, who?)

From my 29 years of watching football at the Gate, i can add these guys to the Hall of Shame..

1986-87 Graham Withey (striker) Ex Gashead and Bath City , probably played 2 games but looked well out of his depth.

Tony Caldwell (striker) Signed from Bolton Wanderers after we had beaten them in the Freight Rover Final, scored for fun at Burnden Park but never settled down here and City fans wished we had bought his Bolton strike partner George Oghani!

1992-94 David Thompson (Centre back) Ex Millwall - Was sh*te in the air, had no pace and couldnt pass for toffee. A real fans favourite...for p*ss taking.

2001-2002 Harpal Singh (Forward) Came to us from Leeds, played 3 games i think and was about as good as that other devasting ex Leeds front man Tomas Brolin (except slimmer)

The worst players technically for me were Savage, John and Dyche - We went on a 9 game unbeaten run with savage didn't we?

John is a player that just didn't fit into the clubs way of playing football he''s good at penalty area scrambles, we tend to pi$s about with the ball on the edge of the area

-overlapping full backs and wingers that run to the byline and cross may be slowly disappearing in city's play but that's something consistant the whole time i've been watching.

I find it harsh to base your worst player on one performance - based on that Phillips vs Oxford where we lot 3-0 has to be my worst performance

Have to say I disagree with a few

Burnell - committed versatile youngster, good in the middle of the park

Holland - Again, committed in the centre of midfield, shame about the injury

S Jones - Very unfit when signed, fitness improved towards the end of City career, and performances established him as a fans favourite.

(And did someone mention Millen?! What? Millen was great at CB - marshalling the back line, providing he played alongsode someone with pace)

My vote has to be

Dinning

My vote has to be

Dinning

I would pay money for someone to find the thread from years back with the picture someone did with Dinning "In the comfort zone" basicly a cut and paste job of Dinning in an arm chair and a caption suggesting he had hit the comfort zone at BCFC now he joined perma.

Had me in hysterics for some reason that picture, would love to see it again.

£5 to the first person to find that pic! :farmer: Ive spent ages trying to find it and i cant :disapointed2se:

Steve Stacey 1970/71.,Gus Caeser,Steve Johnson,Steve Galliers,Andy Webster all totally shocking.

I can't scroll past that and not say something............really?? I remember Steve Galliers to be a decent player.

^ Gary Marshall, dross.

Also (as said elsewhere), Gary Stanley and Sean Dyche

Others who spring to mind that perhaps haven't been mentioned:

Craig Woodman (poor, and IMO the reason we lost that vital game up at Sheff Wed at the end of I think the '04 season)

Michael Bridges (big flop)

Kevin Nugent (scored a few, bit of a donkey tho)

Tony Rougier (total w*ank against Brightion in playoffs)

Cameron Toshack (yep, who?)

I quite liked Woody myself :( thought he done okay. Tony Rougier was alright and you say about the Brighton game, well if it weren't for the way he played away at Hartlepool we wouldn't have even played Brighton !!

Andy Smith gets my vote, he wouldn't score in a Brothel with a fist full of fifties.

I can't scroll past that and not say something............really?? I remember Steve Galliers to be a decent player.

I thought Galliers was a total star, he once scored twice in one game and the faithful were so stunned they didn't react when number 2 went in. Not much of a passer but by heck, he could tackle - a real terrier in the middle. When he first came on loan, we wondered what he was all about for, ooh at least 3 minutes. Then he clattered some guy about twice his size (Galliers was about 5'6") and we all went "Ah, that's what he's for...".

No way does he belong on the rubbish list. Like I say, you need to be an old f%rt like me (most of you weren't born when he played) but it's Steve Johns(t)on. He was total gash.

Calvin andrew (only played a few times but that was enough to see he was shit)

Tony Dinning - what a *****, had the same issues when he dropped down a league or 2 aswell i think

Harpal Singh - wow!!

Gerrard Lavin - bad

I think people naming Andy Smith is a bit harsh. Worked very hard and if score one I feel he would have scored a few more, if only Enoch squared it when smith was unmarked things could have been so different for Smith!

I'm sure I can remember at least one good game from Harpal Singh (Bury at home, I think, Mickey Bell scored 2 screamers).

Dyche was decent too, up until that game with West Brom where he came back from injury too soon.

Lorenzo Pinamonte anyone?

I thought Galliers was a total star, he once scored twice in one game and the faithful were so stunned they didn't react when number 2 went in. Not much of a passer but by heck, he could tackle - a real terrier in the middle. When he first came on loan, we wondered what he was all about for, ooh at least 3 minutes. Then he clattered some guy about twice his size (Galliers was about 5'6") and we all went "Ah, that's what he's for...".

I agree with your puzzlement on the Galliers inclusion in this list. To me, he was, shall we say, "highly committed", limited in skill, but so was Glen Humphries, but both put in 110% every game. Galliers was the antithesis of Dinning.

Also(bizarely) quite liked Ray Atteveld!! Scored a couple of remarkable o.g's and was genuinely excited that we spent £250k on an Everton player.

I notice that the majority of the list(if not the votes) are made up of strikers, is this a basic lack of understanding of their role in the football team i.e. don't score goals so they must be crap? Steve Johnson, yes, again, limited in ability but he was a battering ram that we needed at the time(and FAAARRRRRR from the worst player to grace the red/white)

Can't also believe that someone has mentioned Kevin Nugent as well!! Good player for the era/league we were in at the time, held the ball up reasonably well and good in the air whilst chipping in with a fair few goals

The worst for me has to be Clemens Zwijnenberg(sp?), devoid of any attributes befitting a professional football player, as was Henry McKop. Richard Dryden was also very "suspect", laughed my ar$e off when Soton signed him - always remember laughing when he completed a pass and the song from the Atyeo "Walking in a Dryden wonderland" - oh the irony!!

Archived