IGNORED

It's Going To Be An Exciting Summer!

Sampson City Reds

Now we have got Coppell on board. It is going to be exciting times at the club starting with the summer I can see quiet a few comings and goings this summer and IMO Steve Lansdown will be welling to give Coppell a fair chunk of cash to spend on transfers and with the new stadium being build the sooner we get in the premier league the better it will be all round.:winner_third_h4h:

Exactly, this is key IMO! We have a lot of deadwood in the squad, he is going to need time!!!!

very true. dont know every detail about the formations SC played with reading but ive got a feeling he was mainly a 442 man. not a formation our squad is set up to play week in week out with only 1 genuine left sided player in Jamie mac who may even be surplus to requirements.

SC may need next season to put his stamp on the team and get his ideas accross whilst gradually making signings and shipping players out over the next three transfer windows not just this summer.

for me i'd be happy with mid table again next year as long as we are steady through out the season and dont go for a GJ style lunge towards the drop at any stage as my nerves cant stand it!!! a more attractive style than we saw over the last couple of years with GJ would be nice though wink.gif

SC may need next season to put his stamp on the team and get his ideas accross whilst gradually making signings and shipping players out over the next three transfer windows not just this summer.

for me i'd be happy with mid table again next year as long as we are steady through out the season and dont go for a GJ style lunge towards the drop at any stage as my nerves cant stand it!!! a more attractive style than we saw over the last couple of years with GJ would be nice though wink.gif

Our previous manager left behind some deadwood but he also left behind some decent players and it will take Coppell the pre-season to work which is which. Millen of course will have significant say in that

I would expect Coppell to have City playing some decent football quite quickly which will be a delight after the dreadfull shite we've suffered for most of the last 18 months. Tbh, thats all I want. If a team is playing with flair and style results will come.

Under Millen we've seen the potential that is already at AG and with 4 or 5 new additions over the summer, I would see City being in contention next season.

very true. dont know every detail about the formations SC played with reading but ive got a feeling he was mainly a 442 man. not a formation our squad is set up to play week in week out with only 1 genuine left sided player in Jamie mac who may even be surplus to requirements.

from memory im sure he played 442 at reading as he had s.hunt and convey on the left and Oster and later Kebe on the right.

If he wants to do go for that here i reckon he will def need to sign up a quality left winger

Regardless of formation a long term succesor to Louis needs to be lined up and IMO prob one more striker whoi has a bit more about him physically (not a mairhoffer tho :laugh:)

George Boyd, Ibrahima Sonko and a cheeky year loan for Dave Kitson

Sorted ha ha

from memory im sure he played 442 at reading as he had s.hunt and convey on the left and Oster and later Kebe on the right.

If he wants to do go for that here i reckon he will def need to sign up a quality left winger

Regardless of formation a long term succesor to Louis needs to be lined up and IMO prob one more striker whoi has a bit more about him physically (not a mairhoffer tho :laugh:)

George Boyd, Ibrahima Sonko and a cheeky year loan for Dave Kitson

Sorted ha ha

Rather than Boyd I'd prefer Michael Kightly from Wolves - if we're to move up a level we need to be upping the quality across the board. Plus Boyd hasn't pulled up any trees at the Trees. Agree with the others though.

As exciting as this appointment seems, I would be in the "calm down camp". I remember the similar posts last year after the signings we made, we were going to "walk this league with our squad" weren't we?

Not me. I always felt last years signings improved us as a squad, but not necessarily the first team. We ended up with a lot of players who were good prospects a few years ago, but not stand out Championship performers - Nyatanga, Haynes etc. This year I hope to see proven quality in this summer, not players who haven't quite reached their potential.

I doubt Coppell would have come if his arms were going to be tied. Didn't he leave Brentford for exactly that reason... lack of ambition from the boardroom?

Coppell's CV is comparable to anyone elses in the lower divisions. Exciting summer ahead.

:winner_third_h4h:

Not me. I always felt last years signings improved us as a squad, but not necessarily the first team. We ended up with a lot of players who were good prospects a few years ago, but not stand out Championship performers - Nyatanga, Haynes etc. This year I hope to see proven quality in this summer, not players who haven't quite reached their potential.

I doubt Coppell would have come if his arms were going to be tied. Didn't he leave Brentford for exactly that reason... lack of ambition from the boardroom?

Coppell's CV is comparable to anyone elses in the lower divisions. Exciting summer ahead.

winner_third_h4h.gif

Bang on there about the squad Eric. I think that SC will make a difference in being able to attract quality, rather than potential - I hope so anyway! Pretty certain you are correct about Brentford too. May not have been during SC's time there, but at one point they wouldn't pay more than £500/wk to anyone, admire their principles, but very unlikely going to get you out of the old Div 3!

A couple of nice looking quotes on Sky from Coppell plus crazy odds on us getting promotion (6/1 ??!!??!!):

Coppell says: "We have obviously discussed budgets but there has not been a figure put on it. I know that the chairman has always been supportive and if I go to him he will help me bring players in."I will take over at the end of the season and we are already planning to fill gaps in the squad. I have been talking to Keith and watching DVDs of players and we expect a busy summer."

Sounds like there is going to be a big player turnover this summer - not before time.

Sky Bet - Bristol City Specials - Bristol City to be promoted from the Championship 2010/11 6/1

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}

Hello,

Reading fan here, please don't shoot.

Coppell was very much a 4-4-2 man, with Convey on the left and the legend that is Glenn Little on the right in the promotion season. Very rarely made many or major signings for us, maybe he'll change for you, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Very much a evolution not revolution kinda bloke.

Also, don't expect any substitutions before the 85th minute....

Archived