IGNORED

Bbc Gossip Column

todays says wolves interested in signing 3m rated maynard.

would you take that if it meant getting someone like kitson?

TBH, IMO, no. With inflated transfer fees and wages i`d expect a much bigger return and would be disappointed if the club had to let him go for that low a fee. Yep, i reckon there could be some interest come the end of the season and it`s a worry unless we can get a good deal. Don`t know any details about his contract, ie release clauses etc, i guess we`ll just have to wait and see.

Personally though i`d like to think we could keep him for at least another season, he is improving and we need to keep hold of players of his quality if we are to move onwards.

todays says wolves interested in signing 3m rated maynard.

would you take that if it meant getting someone like kitson?

3M rated by who ? Somebody talking down the price and testing the water perhaps. Our fans of course are talking up the price with figures of 5-8M mentioned.

I hope we keep him here, at least he wont rot on the bench. If he gets a good goal scoring bonus, he will have a cash incentive. Add to that the benefit of developing under SC's management. Then of course SL could help him with a first class investment portfolio.

It was mentioned that we finished last season around 6M in debt, thats the figure I'de be looking at .

Talksport were saying that a certain Robbie Keane may be heading to Wolves to partner Doyle which would make sense to me especially given their Republic of Ireland partnership.

Me personally thinks that if he scores 20 next year then we may have a job keeping hold of him, as clubs will look at what he can do consistently and just not a one season wonder.

There would be no logic in us making a profit of just £750k on a 23 year old with a contract that still has at least 2 years to run.

A bid of £6m and we'd have to consider it, an offer of £7m and we'd probably reluctantly sell.

There would be no logic in us making a profit of just £750k on a 23 year old with a contract that still has at least 2 years to run.

A bid of £6m and we'd have to consider it, an offer of £7m and we'd probably reluctantly sell.

GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!

He was a panic buy, good player but we paid over the odds for him. £3m is a fair price but I can't believe Wolves are in for him with the strikers they have.

GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!

He was a panic buy, good player but we paid over the odds for him. £3m is a fair price but I can't believe Wolves are in for him with the strikers they have.

no mate you get real, we would never sell for 3 mil, are u bloody insane

GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!

Why dont people realise we PAID FOR POTENTIAL. That potential is being fulfilled - cant see how anyone can knock this particular johnson signing!

A young English, prolific 23 year old striker is worth more than 3m! Wolves bought the hoff for about 3m ffs!

Maynard has been the greatest signing the club has made for some time and it is nice to watch maynard because whenever he gets the ball in the box 9/10 it's a goal and even when he gets the ball outside the box he scores crackers regularly, they guy is IMMENSE and will only get better imo, so we need 2 keep hold of him for at least one more season if we can even talk about the prem and I think Coppell is sensible enough to realise that, I hope :)

GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!

I'd happily have another panic buy if it bags us another striker who scores 20 in a season. £3m may well be a fair-ish price for him now based on current performance but it takes no account of the fact that I believe he will continue to improve and will be worth far more than that in a years time.

GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!

How can you say it was a panic buy? you know this for a fact yeah?

We bought Maynard as a long term investment...in my eyes, he has already repaid the £2m we paid for him!! 31 goals in 2 seasons, 20 this term, 19 of those in the league.

David Nugent and Kevin Doyle never managed this amount of goals in a season, Nugent hit 15, Doyle hit 18. Maynard is still learning, this lad has the potential to go all the way if he is nurtured.

If players like Chopra and Nugent are worth £6m, to be looking for £4.5m for Maynard isnt that much of a long shot

GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!

Are you a Wolves fan? Lets be fair he has scored 19 goals in the league this season, at least half of them have been his own doing. Next year he will score more with some actual 'SERVICE' imo. If Beckford is so say worth 5million plus Maynard must be - at least he has had a successful year in the championship. Improving player and getting stronger on the ball now as well, why sell at all? Cannot see anyone available who is going to take his place if we did sell anyway - certainly wouldnt be getting a 30 year old on double/triple his wages. An excellent signing even if he may not have been first choice at the time - destiny is why he is here and he can seriously help us get to the promised land imo.

We do not need to sell and if we do does it really show our ambition to get out of this league? Unless SC tells lansdown to get rid I do not see him even considering any bids under 5 million.

GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!

I think you need to get real mate, The strikers at Wolves are so great Doyle has scored 7 goals, The next top scorer is central defender Craddock with 6, Jarvis has scored 3, Ebanks-Blake 2 and Hoffmeister 1, Wolves have scored a total of 28 goals (11 only at home) and the strikers have scored less than half of them. Yeah Wolves strikers are great.

Maynard is worth 4.5 mill any day of the week and more if he has another 20 goal season, 31 goals (over 2 seasons) in a team struggling to score and even create chances is incredible and he will improve.

Maynard was our first choice, but believed to be too expensive. Having failed to land the "better value" options of Meteb and Mifsud we decided it was worth paying £2.25M.

Mifsud - glad we didnt get him here.

Maynard was our first choice, but believed to be too expensive. Having failed to land the "better value" options of Meteb and Mifsud we decided it was worth paying £2.25M.

I'm pretty sure that Crewe originally wanted £1.75million for him and we decided that was too much. After the Meteb saga and Mifsud-gate, we went back to Crewe who, quite cleverly realising we were out of options, in desperate need of a striker and fast approaching the start of the season, whacked another £500k on the price.

Kudos to them, but another example of how niaive we appear to have been in the transfer market under Johnson. Still, glad we got him in the end and i think he is turning into a shrewd investment. In the real world Nicky shouldn't be worth more than £3 million, but if Chopra, Beckford, Nugent and McLean are worth £5million, the Nicky certainly is and given that we don't need or want to sell, i think we should be asking £6 million to any club that comes knocking. Hopefully another 20 goal season and he'll be playing in the Premier League aginst Wolves in a Bristol City shirt

If the 3 million is accurate then we are only going to profit by £800,000, surely the deal is a non starter even in todays financial climate. Also would there be a sell on clause in place so we'd have to be paying Crewe a % of any profit? Maynard has had 2 years Championship football added to the player that we bought, and is still very young. 3 million would be an insult.

But it won't be the players financial worth to the selling club that decides these things, it's the promise of playing at a higher level and the financial rewards to the player himself. We took Maynard from Crewe so you can't blame other clubs for doing the same I suppose.

Also if Wolves wanted Maynard wouldn't it have been better for them to negotiate when johnson (mad micks mate) was still here, maybe he did? Maybe Iwelumo was to be part of the deal, just guessing.

Guest oftbc

We would be making a loss when you factor in wages and sell on fee plus the money we would have invested in his development. To get us round the table a bid would have to be of around 5 million.

Let's be realistic - if the right offer (ie more than £3M) comes in, we'll sell. We are a selling club at the end of the day, it's the only way we can stay afloat financially. But it would need a really serious offer.

So anything over 3 million is a serious offer? If he goes for 3 million I would be astonished - no chance whatsoever.

Archived