IGNORED

Would It Not Be Ironic If...

City Exile

not having had a penalty all season, we end up having to take 5 or so Wednesday night!

So, you are Wilson. Your 5 penalty takers would be....

Equally, would you be having some practice on them? Seems negative, but equally, you look a bit of a prat if somebody pipes up 'we didn't even practice them' if we go our that way.

not having had a penalty all season, we end up having to take 5 or so Wednesday night!

So, you are Wilson. Your 5 penalty takers would be....

Equally, would you be having some practice on them? Seems negative, but equally, you look a bit of a prat if somebody pipes up 'we didn't even practice them' if we go our that way.

If I recall correctly, Birmingham players practised walking from the halfway line and then taking them, with the rest of the squad watching them, to create a bit of pressure.

Birmingham went on to beat Norwich on penalties.

I would like to think we are practising them, to cover for every eventuality.

You can't name 5 penualty takers on ability as it is also about confidence and if a player doesn't think they are going to do it then they should take one. It is all about believeing. I like the idea though of what Birmingham did, but to be honest if it did o to pens I'd be very very nervous and wouldn't bet on us.

It was indeed Bournemouth at the gate. Mercer was pulling faces at Mark Stein as he made his run up and he blazed it over the bar ! Great Stuff !!

Peacock is awful at Penalties, Not knocking him but some people can take them and he is not one of them !! He just drives them down the middle as hard as he can !! I would be confident facing his penalties !!

I wouldnt like to pick five City players to take pens, Even Tins isnt that great at them !! He always goes the same way as well !!

Also did anyone see Scott Howie for Shrewsbury ? He saved 4 of the Aldershot kicks because he did his homework. Most players (especially at this level) always place there kicks the same side. Something I hope Phillips has looked into !!

City must be practising penalties.It would be criminal not to,like Venables did in Euro '96.

In theory all players should score a penalty.The odds are stacked against the 'keeper saving them or the taker missing the target.Professional players know how to strike a ball accurately but even though' they still sometimes miss.

Its the psychological pressure (or fear of failure) that does for them and Brian Jones will be the most crucial element over the next few training sessions.

His advice and guidance could make all the difference.

On the subject of Psychology - I saw a programme about sports psychology and the psychologist reakoned that everyone does it wrong - basically your best kicker should take the last kick, not the first - theory being that his better skill will compensate better for tha added pressure of taking the later and more important kick - might be a load of ###### mind.

Not sure I could bear to watch if it went to pens

On the subject of Psychology - I saw a programme about sports psychology and the psychologist reakoned that everyone does it wrong - basically your best kicker should take the last kick, not the first - theory being that his better skill will compensate better for tha added pressure of taking the later and more important kick - might be a load of ###### mind.

Not sure I could bear to watch if it went to pens

But you may have already lost by the time the 5th penalty comes along!

Equally, if we get through and the Swindon v Brighton game goes to penalties, I hope we write down where each player puts his penalty and fully brief Phillips, just in case we have to face them in the final.

Chances are, in a pressure situation, a player will go with where they feel most comfortable, when picking a side of the goal.

Also did anyone see Scott Howie for Shrewsbury ? He saved 4 of the Aldershot kicks because he did his homework. Most players (especially at this level) always place there kicks the same side. Something I hope Phillips has looked into !!

he saved them because (yes he went the right way but..) he was off his line on all 3 occassions,and he was off quite a bit.. :D

Do you have to say to the ref the exact order of the kickers before the shootout starts?
No, the only time that a kicker is identified is when it's a penalty kick during a match, not for a shootout.

The only thing a ref has to check is that all the players have a go before someone has a second try (i.e. if it goes into sudden death)

Something I have always wondered - if a team has had 2 players sent off, and its goes to sudden death shoot out, what happens after the first nine playes have been?

Secondly, name the only British side to lose a cup penalty shoot out, and still get through to the next round?

And while I'm on a roll...

The BBC I remember did some research a year to back of all penalties ever taken in the premier league. A little surprisingly, the most successful ratio was for kicks head high straight at the goalie, as he always moved out the way.

The theory was that if a goalie just stayed where he was, in a penalty shoot out he would normally save bettwen 1 and 2, quite easily. Never seen a goalie brave enough to test this!

I think we should stick Matthews on the bench just in case a penalty shoot out occurs, he always seemed capable of putting pens away. Stick him on for the last minute of extra time surely he cant get injured in a space of a minute, actually on second thoughts he'd probably come a cropper on the run up blades of grass being dangerous and all

Something I have always wondered - if a team has had 2 players sent off, and its goes to sudden death shoot out, what happens after the first nine playes have been?
If a team has any players sent off the other team have to select players to leave the field of play and take no part in the penalties (i.e. in your example the opposition would have to reduce themselves to 9 men as well)

Boy did I have fun convincing some Sunday League brutes that that one was law in a cup game once.... :D

I think they thought that I had been slipped a fiver by the other team! :P

Once all those players have then taken a kick (if it gets that far) it just starts again... like a little merry-go-round of penalty kick takers :D

Guest Ciderhead Reynolds

most people seem to have avoided the Question , but il answer :P

Tinnion

Bell

Colesy ( Ex striker)

Peacock

Tommy ( just couldnt see him letting us down ) :D

Anyone see the conferance play off final yesterday? Shrewsbbury won 3-0 on pens after being outplayed by Aldershot.

Ex rovers Scott Howie was Shrewsbury's keeper and apparently he studied video tapes of Aldershots semi final penalty shout out over and over, which obviously payed off.

Tinnion- because hes proven his pens are great

Doherty- he's confident enough and hasnt got a bad right foot

Butler- he's confident and couldnt see him missing

Bell (but would have probably been subbed by then) - same as tins

Roberts - confident and could see him scoring but would have ben subbed by then

Roberts - confident and could see him scoring but would have ben subbed by then
Don't take this the wrong way, because I do rate Roberts and am glad that he's starting at the moment, but I would be pretty nervous if he took one. Something in me would be making me feel that he would see red like he sometimes does and sky it...

Archived