IGNORED

Goalkeeper

Southport Red

This has been posted on the silly transfer rumours site;

13 May 2010 08:58:12

Carlo Cudicini has been spotted around Norwich. Paul Lambert believes the Italian stopper will be good replacement for Fraser Forster who is unlikely to return. Cudicini will be available on a free transfer and is expected to make the move in the next few weeks.

Now I know it's all nonsense but if it IS true that Cudicini is out of contract wouldn't he be a great asset for us?

What do you think?

This has been posted on the silly transfer rumours site;

13 May 2010 08:58:12

Carlo Cudicini has been spotted around Norwich. Paul Lambert believes the Italian stopper will be good replacement for Fraser Forster who is unlikely to return. Cudicini will be available on a free transfer and is expected to make the move in the next few weeks.

Now I know it's all nonsense but if it IS true that Cudicini is out of contract wouldn't he be a great asset for us?

What do you think?

I'm going to post on that site that Alan Shearer is coming out of retirement to play for Bristol City...............

It's a website for kids with an average age of 13 to post stories that seem realistic due to too much time spent of football manager games.

I'm going to post on that site that Alan Shearer is coming out of retirement to play for Bristol City...............

It's a website for kids with an average age of 13 to post stories that seem realistic due to too much time spent of football manager games.

Just out of interest, have they ever got something right? What's their biggest comfirmed rumour come good?

Or is it just a case of if you guess enough sooner or later , by the law of averages. you will stumble on something?

Which is why I called it the sily site.

I was not saying any of it was true, I was saying that IF he was out of contract, given that we are looking for an experienced goalie, would he be a good bet for us? Other posters reminded me of his injury and the answer to my question became rather obvious. So thanks Rich for the rather patronising reply, I'll try to think of something more acceptable next time.

I was not saying any of it was true, I was saying that IF he was out of contract, given that we are looking for an experienced goalie, would he be a good bet for us? Other posters reminded me of his injury and the answer to my question became rather obvious. So thanks Rich for the rather patronising reply, I'll try to think of something more acceptable next time.

Been loads on there recently saying Bradders is off to North End!

Some of the post on here absolutely amaze me. Two broken wrists, broken pelvis, so why sign him and even if fit a) we could not afford his wages and b) no disrespect

to to the club I support but a fit Cudaicini would not come to City.

I appreciate that you are only passing on what you have read but do people not have the sense and realise that anyone can type any s*ite on these rumour sites and then people regurgitate them and post on OTIB.

Please please please, I ask people to think before they post as otherwise there will be so much rubbish posted on here.

Rant over.

Some of the post on here absolutely amaze me. Two broken wrists, broken pelvis, so why sign him and even if fit a) we could not afford his wages and b) no disrespect

I appreciate that you are only passing on what you have read but do people not have the sense and realise that anyone can type any s*ite on these rumour sites and then people regurgitate them and post on OTIB.

Please please please, I ask people to think before they post as otherwise there will be so much rubbish posted on here.

Rant over.

Please please will people READ my posts before coming back with such patronising guff!

The point of the post was that IF he was available on a free then might he be worth a look for us? The first two respondents said he was badly injured (which I had forgotten, I am sorry, I do not keep tabs on the fitness of every footballer in the UK). After I was made aware of his injuries I said that my original question had been answered, i.e. no, he wouldn't be worth a look end of. But don't let that stop you looking down your nose at people will you?

Ther is hardly anyone posting on here in the off season and the response that you have given does not encourage me to post any more.

Precisely WHAT should I have 'thought before posting on here?' Thanks for saying that I do not think and I don't have any sense when you didn't even READ the first message.

Rant over

I haven't been on the site in question for quite a while, but I'm always happy to read the rumours that people take the trouble to post on here from it. Yes, we all know 99% is rubbish but when our players are mentioned, or potential players, well you never know...

Carry on posting Southport, I understand where you are coming from.

Keep posting the rumours I say... isn't that about the only thing to talk about during the close season??? And you never know some might come true. I seem to remember a rumour (or 20) on football-rumours about some bloke called Coppell coming here - what nonsense that turned out to be.

As someone previously posted - Bradley Orr gets several mentions linking him with PNE (closer to home), where have those rumours come from and can anyone say they can be totally discounted?

There seem to be some suggestions that this should be a "fact only" forum - if you only want facts and official news surely the club's official site does the job?

So... anyone got/heard any good rumours, we've got about 3 months to kill!!!!

Rant over.

Calm down mate. He's only posting on here because it was on that site, which he himself acknowledges is full of garbage.

Not like we have an awful lot to talk about with the lack of football isit. I really dont see the problem?

Rant over.

I happen to think that one of the most fun aspects of football (particularly in the close season) is the speculation and 'rumour' as to who may be going where.

However...

...Southport Red has in no way tried to instigate a rumour. All he has done is seen a bit of gossip somewhere regarding a player and attempted to gauge his fellow City supporter's opinions on the matter, for which he has been roundly castigated in some quarters.

Funny then, that some people seem able to post any half-baked, unfounded rumour on this site without any comebacks at all (I would in particular refer you all to the 'next manager' debate before SC was thankfully appointed).

In response to your original post Southport Red, given the injuries (which you have acknowledged you were not aware of at the time of posting), I do not think Cudicini would be a valid option. I also think that his wages would put us out of the running, so it's a no from me.

Nonetheless, please keep posting Southport Red. Don't let the morons bully the sensible posters off of here!

:cool2:

To RedM, Mendip City, City07 & Superjack,

Thank you.

Re the thread in general, this sums up the conundrum (pre Coppell at least).

Players that are good enough - we cannot afford/attract

Players we can afford/attract - Not (quite) good enough (to take us to the next level I mean).

If Carlo had been fit, we (maybe) couldn't have got him, that he is well within our reach means he is either not good enough or, as in this case, vv good but crocked.

However, that is all PRE Coppell.

I guess the reason we are all so excited now is because we feel this dynamic could be about to change and the idea that a player such as this (if he had been fit) MIGHT come here.

We will have to wait and see if the 'Coppell factor' is a reality (at the moment it is just us wishfully thinking) but I love the fact that someone could suggest that we might get a Nicky Butt or Kevin Phillips (for example, I am NOT saying they are coming), and others can say, with a totally straight face "No, we can do better".

Great days to be a City fan.

To the above mentioned, - thanks for reading my original post and actually understanding it.

Love Carlo Cudicini, was a fantastic goalkeeper WHEN he was playing. And I'm not refering to the horrrible motorbike accident either.

Unfortunately for him, Peter Czech came to Chelski and pushed him down the pecking list for a couple of seasons, and in the last 4-5 seasons he has played roughly 11 games a season(including 11 for Spurs this season).

He is 37 in September and based on the number of games he has played in the last few years, it would be a regretful no for me.

Southport, I too also read football-rumours on a nigh on daily basis, but treat it as entertainment rather than factual, because as others have said 99.9% on that site is absolute guff.

It would be funny though if a top manager like SAF posted on it on a regular basis - as the few genuine gems on there do tend to get swamped by the BS and children playing football manager.

Apologies if I came across as patronising - this was certainly not my intention. I was purely focusing on the site and not the particular piece of information that you had brought to the table - in fact I was agreeing with you that it is a 'silly site'.

To RedM, Mendip City, City07 & Superjack,

Thank you.

Re the thread in general, this sums up the conundrum (pre Coppell at least).

Players that are good enough - we cannot afford/attract

Players we can afford/attract - Not (quite) good enough (to take us to the next level I mean).

If Carlo had been fit, we (maybe) couldn't have got him, that he is well within our reach means he is either not good enough or, as in this case, vv good but crocked.

However, that is all PRE Coppell.

I guess the reason we are all so excited now is because we feel this dynamic could be about to change and the idea that a player such as this (if he had been fit) MIGHT come here.

We will have to wait and see if the 'Coppell factor' is a reality (at the moment it is just us wishfully thinking) but I love the fact that someone could suggest that we might get a Nicky Butt or Kevin Phillips (for example, I am NOT saying they are coming), and others can say, with a totally straight face "No, we can do better".

Great days to be a City fan.

To the above mentioned, - thanks for reading my original post and actually understanding it.

Whatever the effect of the alleged Coppell factor might be on the attractiveness of the club to certain players (and it's debatable whether someone who has for instance played for Sir Alex is going to be that impressed) Steve will still be constrained by the wages we are willing/able to pay. A player may be impressed by Steve but if he has to accept lower wages than he could get elsewhere that might be as far as it goes.

Steve has also said he prefers to sign rough diamonds so it doesn't follow that there is going to be an influx of the kind of big names that seem to get some fans so excited (we do after all live in an age where celebrity is more important than ability). Steve has never been interested in being a celebrity himself and I suspect he is unlikely to be interested in how much of a celebrity a player is either.

Personally I couldn't care less whether a player is a so called big name as long he is a) good and b) committed to Bristol City as opposed to picking up another fat signing on fee. Given that Steve has said he has no targets as yet we may have to wait a while to find out anyway. :fingerscrossed:

Whatever the effect of the alleged Coppell factor might be on the attractiveness of the club to certain players (and it's debatable whether someone who has for instance played for Sir Alex is going to be that impressed) Steve will still be constrained by the wages we are willing/able to pay. A player may be impressed by Steve but if he has to accept lower wages than he could get elsewhere that might be as far as it goes.

Steve has also said he prefers to sign rough diamonds so it doesn't follow that there is going to be an influx of the kind of big names that seem to get some fans so excited (we do after all live in an age where celebrity is more important than ability). Steve has never been interested in being a celebrity himself and I suspect he is unlikely to be interested in how much of a celebrity a player is either.

Personally I couldn't care less whether a player is a so called big name as long he is a) good and b) committed to Bristol City as opposed to picking up another fat signing on fee. Given that Steve has said he has no targets as yet we may have to wait a while to find out anyway. :fingerscrossed:

Good point. I guess that it is quite possible that we will be 'disappointed' with his first signings (i.e. some want us to sign the present-day Nicky Shorey when, as you point out, Steve may well sign today's equivalent of the 2005 Nicky Shorey). Even so, for all I agree with all that you said, the 'Coppell factor' may be a tie-breaker in our favour for a change - I'm thinking of that Man U kiddy that went to Ipswich last year (Walters?), we matched their offer but he went to Ipswich, perhaps because of the 'Roy Keane factor'.

I do hope that young players will be attracted to City now because of Coppell's reputation of being able to develop the hell out of players so that 'nobodies' become household names (where would Kevin Doyle be...?) and also, maybe just a little bit, because he is famous.

Like you said Chinapig :fingerscrossed:

Good point. I guess that it is quite possible that we will be 'disappointed' with his first signings (i.e. some want us to sign the present-day Nicky Shorey when, as you point out, Steve may well sign today's equivalent of the 2005 Nicky Shorey). Even so, for all I agree with all that you said, the 'Coppell factor' may be a tie-breaker in our favour for a change - I'm thinking of that Man U kiddy that went to Ipswich last year (Walters?), we matched their offer but he went to Ipswich, perhaps because of the 'Roy Keane factor'.

I do hope that young players will be attracted to City now because of Coppell's reputation of being able to develop the hell out of players so that 'nobodies' become household names (where would Kevin Doyle be...?) and also, maybe just a little bit, because he is famous.

Like you said Chinapig :fingerscrossed:

I think you make a very good point when it comes to attracting young players from Prem clubs, as opposed to the kind of established older players fans like to fantasise about. You may well be right about Martin (rather than Walters - though he is a player I admire who could do with a change of club :innocent06:), though it turned out to be a good thing we missed him as he has been a flop. Steve of course took Sidwell and Harper from Arsenal when they were unknown so maybe it's that kind of signing we should hope for/expect?

Just a quick point here: a couple of the Reading players being mentioned (Shorey and Harper) were not actually signed by Coppell but by his predecessor Alan Pardew.

With regard to who we could or couldn't sign, I think we need to start having a bit more ambition here. I agree that Coppell prefers to find cheap, unknown players so I won't hold my breath for big names but we should now be able to attract players with Premier League experience. Stoke won promotion with players like Ricardo Fuller and Salif Diao in their team, both of whom had played in the Premier League (not terribly successfully but they wouldn't have gone to Stoke if they had) therefore we should be looking to attract similar and should believe that it is possible to get them.

Hate these ''worth a look, have a punt'' comments or worse quoting from some worthless site that we are supposed to have an interest in some worthless player.

Just stick to your Playstations ...please

Just out of interest, do you actually READ any of the posts or do you just scan the title, do a mind-read and then make up your pointless aggressive reply?

Your 'contribution' to this thread has been to signally miss it's entire point and then slag off people you do not know.

If we are going to start arbitrating who should and should not post, let me join in...

EITHER CONTRIBUTE TO A DISCUSSION OR DON'T BOTHER POSTING. NOTHING IN YOUR LAST POST ADVANCES THE DEBATE, RAISES A THOUGHT OUT COUNTER ARGUEMENT, MAKES ANY KIND OF CONTRIBUTION, NOWT.

As I have said before, there is precious little on here to read in the off season, what is here is often not interesting (to me), fortunately, I do not have the arrogance to think that because I don't agree with/like/find interesting a post it is, automatically and de-facto worthless.

So please, either contribute something meaningful to the forum or naff off to play your own Playstation

Its worthless gossip, it has NO bearing on facts at all, and yet this mindless tripe keeps on coming back, leave the recruitment to the management, there, how about that for advancing the 'debate'.

The OP clearly points out that the basis for which this thread started upon wast based on "TRIPE" from one of the rumour site. There is absolutely no harm in doing what people are doing here and discussing whether a player is capable of adding to our squad and whether he is within our means to sign. They are merely judging a player and seeing if he, or players of his ilk, are compatible with us and who we are aiming to be, not saying that we are going to sign him or have heard strong rumours that we are making a bid (which if they were I'd agree was wasteful writing). If you don't like it don't read and don't post.

On the matter itself, i think that whilst it would be good to see a goalkeeper with the standards that Cudicini demonstrated whilst at Chelsea, someone who has been in the top league of English football for that length of time is beyond our wage budget, in my opinion.

Archived