IGNORED

Second Part Of The Coppell Interview

GrahamC

I thought it was very revealing, much more than the first.

Especially his comment that he didn't expect to do much (if any) business before July because he felt it was a risk as he didn't know what he had inherited very well.

He said that any signing he did make before then would have to be done on that basis that it was somewhat of a risk, though clearly if we have identified that we need a new keeper that is one position that might easiest come into that category.

He also ruled out signing any current Reading players, which seems to mean Ingimarsson won't be coming and SC wasn't exactly positive over whether he'd sign Sawyer, either.

I got the impression that he is cautious to do too much before he has spent time on the training ground with his players but that he realises waiting too long will mean most of his identified targets will be fixed up by then.

Especially his comment that he didn't expect to do much (if any) business before July because he felt it was a risk as he didn't know what he had inherited very well.

He said that any signing he did make before then would have to be done on that basis that it was somewhat of a risk, though clearly if we have identified that we need a new keeper that is one position that might easiest come into that category.

He also ruled out signing any current Reading players, which seems to mean Ingimarsson won't be coming and SC wasn't exactly positive over whether he'd sign Sawyer, either.

I got the impression that he is cautious to do too much before he has spent time on the training ground with his players but that he realises waiting too long will mean most of his identified targets will be fixed up by then.

Interesting points. A number of thoughts occur to me:

1. There were some cynical comments a while back on here about how good it was that SC would be making quick signings compared to Gary Johnson who maintained (rightly if you look at previous summer transfer windows) that most activity happens towards the end of the summer. Think again folks.

2. Any signing is a risk, no matter how much time you have to assess your squad. Sir Alex said if you get 50% right you are doing ok.

3. We need another keeper because we are down to two. It doesn't follow it will be a big name to replace Gerken as most seem to assume, given Steve does not know the current keepers.

4. While he no doubt will listen to Keith he is not going to take his opinion as the basis for signings.

5. If we get close to the new season with no signings, as seems likely, I suspect there will be much grumbling on here.

6. Could it be that he sees the January window as a more appropriate time to sign players once he has seen the squad's performance?

7. Is it less likely that other players (Johnson, Williams etc.) will leave in the summer as replacements will not have been signed?

8. He could of course be bluffing!

Could be a long slow summer.

We have the World Cup to entertain us!

Its no surprise that Steve Coppell should want to see what his playing resources are for himself and he rightly says that he won't be able to know the players untill a couple of weeks after pre-season starts on the 1st July.

He knows that he's inherited an unbalanced squad he will be bringing in players to correct that but who they are and when they arrive is still to be decided. No doubt City will have feelers out and also have been contacted by various agents already but its a long road from intial contact to obtaining the players signature.

Good news about Maynard. He could be outright top scorer next season playing under a manager who likes to attack and play football on the front foot. 20 by christmas?

1. There were some cynical comments a while back on here about how good it was that SC would be making quick signings compared to Gary Johnson who maintained (rightly if you look at previous summer transfer windows) that most activity happens towards the end of the summer. Think again folks.

2. Any signing is a risk, no matter how much time you have to assess your squad. Sir Alex said if you get 50% right you are doing ok.

3. We need another keeper because we are down to two. It doesn't follow it will be a big name to replace Gerken as most seem to assume, given Steve does not know the current keepers.

4. While he no doubt will listen to Keith he is not going to take his opinion as the basis for signings.

5. If we get close to the new season with no signings, as seems likely, I suspect there will be much grumbling on here.

6. Could it be that he sees the January window as a more appropriate time to sign players once he has seen the squad's performance?

7. Is it less likely that other players (Johnson, Williams etc.) will leave in the summer as replacements will not have been signed?

im sure there is a bit of number 8 in there!!! he must be aware of one or two he'd like to bring in, not saying it will be easy but he's seen enough games whilst out of work to know whats out there. alsohe must know we havent got a left footed midfield/winger at the club and having seen DVD's of our games he must of noticed the hoorendous indecison at the back and that we need a GK and CB to sort this out.

We have the World Cup to entertain us!

Its no surprise that Steve Coppell should want to see what his playing resources are for himself and he rightly says that he won't be able to know the players untill a couple of weeks after pre-season starts on the 1st July.

Well, at least until the quarter final penalty shoot out. :innocent06:

Quite so. My first point was that some had jumped to the conclusion on the basis of a vague general comment Keith made that Steve would be making quick signings. He will not, nor should he, unless a no-brainer comes along. In any event, as I repeat ad nauseam, business in the transfer window tends to be slow to get going anyway as players assess their options.

What struck me was the contrast between him and GJ. They could not be more different in the approach to the job.

GJ - cheeky chappie, always ready with an off the cuff quote but a bit impulsive and we all know about his mistakes when it came to signings (loan or permanent) and substitions for that matter. With regard to signings I was slightly surprised to hear SC backing Pete Johnson, but perhaps he knows more than we do.

SC - deep thinker, analytical, obviously highly intelligent, will not make knee jerk emotional decisions. I was very impressed.

Just one niggle. At least twice he referred to our club as "Bristol". In due course he will remember that there is actually another club in Bristol (at least for the time being). No doubt someone will put him right about this.

I was among those who hoped that at least some new additions to the squad would be made relatively early, before the best available players get snapped up, though my comments were not intended to appear cynical. There is also the issue of integrating new signings into the team and allowing players time to have a good pre-season together before the serious stuff starts, otherwise you tend to be playing catch-up compared with clubs whose preparation is further advanced.

It's not that the reasons for SC to hold off don't make good sense - they do - but it does place us at something of a disadvantage if we are planning to make several signings, which I had understood to be the case from previous comments by Millen, among others. Maybe, as you say, he's just being cagey.

If it does mean that we won't be moving anyone else out just yet, that might be an indirect benefit. For example, much as I suspect Williams to be another Noble (naturally talented, but incapable for whatever reason of making a consistent contribution over a full season) I would like to see him get one more chance under a new manager who has made it clear he likes to play attacking football. Played in his preferred position as an attacking central midfielder who can score goals, and in a team that is committed to going forward, he could yet prove a useful asset.

im sure there is a bit of number 8 in there!!! he must be aware of one or two he'd like to bring in, not saying it will be easy but he's seen enough games whilst out of work to know whats out there. alsohe must know we havent got a left footed midfield/winger at the club and having seen DVD's of our games he must of noticed the hoorendous indecison at the back and that we need a GK and CB to sort this out.

I'm positive there's a bit of number 8 in what he's said! I'd be very surprised if Coppell didn't have knowledge of several players he wants to sign and he'll know the general quality (or lack there of) in our squad. Don't think that means we'll get early signings, but i suspect that at least some of his ducks will be put in row long before we get any new players. I think the bluff may go a little for his comments on Reading players too; i don't think he'd want to upset the Reading chairman or fans by making comments about players still under contract there

What struck me was the contrast between him and GJ. They could not be more different in the approach to the job.

GJ - cheeky chappie, always ready with an off the cuff quote but a bit impulsive and we all know about his mistakes when it came to signings (loan or permanent) and substitions for that matter. With regard to signings I was slightly surprised to hear SC backing Pete Johnson, but perhaps he knows more than we do.

SC - deep thinker, analytical, obviously highly intelligent, will not make knee jerk emotional decisions. I was very impressed.

Just one niggle. At least twice he referred to our club as "Bristol". In due course he will remember that there is actually another club in Bristol (at least for the time being). No doubt someone will put him right about this.

referring to us as just 'Bristol' about 3 or 4 times over the course of the two interviews was bugging me too. Someone at the club needs to have a word with him to nip it in the bud! :no:

am i the only one who had to watch his 1st interview twice because i started losing focus of what he's saying and started thinking of something else because his voice is so dull.

quote]

Strange how we react differently. I find Coppells tone and way of conversing very capitvating. I could listen to him all day.

I was among those who hoped that at least some new additions to the squad would be made relatively early, before the best available players get snapped up, though my comments were not intended to appear cynical. There is also the issue of integrating new signings into the team and allowing players time to have a good pre-season together before the serious stuff starts, otherwise you tend to be playing catch-up compared with clubs whose preparation is further advanced.

It's not that the reasons for SC to hold off don't make good sense - they do - but it does place us at something of a disadvantage if we are planning to make several signings, which I had understood to be the case from previous comments by Millen, among others. Maybe, as you say, he's just being cagey.

If it does mean that we won't be moving anyone else out just yet, that might be an indirect benefit. For example, much as I suspect Williams to be another Noble (naturally talented, but incapable for whatever reason of making a consistent contribution over a full season) I would like to see him get one more chance under a new manager who has made it clear he likes to play attacking football. Played in his preferred position as an attacking central midfielder who can score goals, and in a team that is committed to going forward, he could yet prove a useful asset.

Wasn't referring to you Cliff. There were inevitably some who took a general aspiration from Keith as indicating that signings would be made quickly and inevitably used it as a stick to beat Gary Johnson with (accusing him of making excuses for not signing loads of player the minute the window opens when the facts show that tends not to happen anywhere much). Steve's comments seem to rather undermine their expectations.

Who knows what Steve will make of Gavin but if he prefers 4-4-2 I can't see him being the sort of energetic box to box player required (viz Sidwell and Harper). Like Noble he seems better suited to a 5-man midfield but in that formation would he replace any of the current incumbents?

Wasn't referring to you Cliff. There were inevitably some who took a general aspiration from Keith as indicating that signings would be made quickly and inevitably used it as a stick to beat Gary Johnson with (accusing him of making excuses for not signing loads of player the minute the window opens when the facts show that tends not to happen anywhere much). Steve's comments seem to rather undermine their expectations.

Who knows what Steve will make of Gavin but if he prefers 4-4-2 I can't see him being the sort of energetic box to box player required (viz Sidwell and Harper). Like Noble he seems better suited to a 5-man midfield but in that formation would he replace any of the current incumbents?

SC's remarks may also be partly a quite astute attempt to reduce expectation levels generally and not just specifically in relation to signings. His style seems to tend towards the understated, which is fine by me.

As for Gavin, I agree with you on the whole, but it does sadden me to see players like him and Noble wasting their considerable talent. I didn't always agree with GJ, as you know, but I couldn't really fault his decision to let Nobes go and I fear Williams will go the same way, and for similar reasons. On a good day, he can undoubtedly be a match-winner, but he can also be a luxury and I can't see SC indulging that. He certainly won't threaten the place of, say, Skuse, for instance.

Posted Today, 09:10 AM

Top interviews by a top manager.

One blip though, can someone explane to him that we CITY, not Bristol. He sounds like an opposing manager after a defeat when he calls us that.

I'm sure he'll get the hang of it!

ahem, yes

Posted Today, 09:10 AM

Top interviews by a top manager.

One blip though, can someone explane to him that we CITY, not Bristol. He sounds like an opposing manager after a defeat when he calls us that.

I'm sure he'll get the hang of it!

ahem, yes

I don't have the same strong objection to this as some people. Doesn't it simply reflect the fact that he's totally forgotten the existence of the other lot? In other words, he thinks that there's only one team in Bristol...:whistle2:

left back, Shorey, end of.

attacking midfielder someone who can score goals, Elliot and Skuse were out scored by Fontaine last season, not a good return from our midfielders.

striker, We need a Brooker type player to play alongside Maynard, Brooker was awesome, Fatty Lambert?

keeper. Prem experience or a full international, lets not cock about with this position, we need a top class keeper and should spend the required money to fill it.

centrehalf. Need a more mobile Boom type player.

This is just SC damping down expectations. He knows his arrival has created high expectations, due to his previous success, and he's just making sure this does not get out of hand.

You can't tell me before he signed up to be our manager that he didn't have a good long look at the squad to make sure he knew exactly what he was taking on.

He will know what will need addressing straight away, and likley recurits to do that. But also there will be players that he will have to see in person to make his mind up about whether he will need replacements or not, which was more what, i suspect, he was talking about.

Good news about Maynard. He could be outright top scorer next season playing under a manager who likes to attack and play football on the front foot. 20 by christmas?

I hope you don't go off on one if he doesn't. Nothing like heaping pressure on the lad :closedeyes:

I don't have the same strong objection to this as some people. Doesn't it simply reflect the fact that he's totally forgotten the existence of the other lot? In other words, he thinks that there's only one team in Bristol...whistle.gif

It just "jars" a bit with me,I think it's a bit like calling someone by their surname.

I think CITY this, CITY that, is more,I don't know thouchy,feely.Maybe that's just me!

It just "jars" a bit with me,I think it's a bit like calling someone by their surname.

I think CITY this, CITY that, is more,I don't know thouchy,feely.Maybe that's just me!

I know, I know. I agree with you really, mate. I was just being a bit mischievious for a chuckle.

Although, at the same time, there is a hint of a serious point in there. It sort of emphasises the fact that the minds of managers like SC are focussed primarily on the Prem and the CCC, and it's with clubs from those leagues that he'll be comparing us. That's not to say he won't consider recruiting from the lower leagues if he thinks a player's got what it takes, but it's a slip of the tongue, if you like, that make you realise that when he's talking about Bristol, it's with the implicit mindset that there's only one team in town.

In a sense, you cold regard it as an indication of the fact that our status has grown over the last few years: BR simply aren't on his radar. Now,when you talk about 'touchy-feely', doesn't that thought give you a nice warm glow?

He also ruled out signing any current Reading players, which seems to mean Ingimarsson won't be coming

That bit was certainly true, he's signed a new one year deal at Reading today according to Sky.

I know, I know. I agree with you really, mate. I was just being a bit mischievious for a chuckle.

Although, at the same time, there is a hint of a serious point in there. It sort of emphasises the fact that the minds of managers like SC are focussed primarily on the Prem and the CCC, and it's with clubs from those leagues that he'll be comparing us. That's not to say he won't consider recruiting from the lower leagues if he thinks a player's got what it takes, but it's a slip of the tongue, if you like, that make you realise that when he's talking about Bristol, it's with the implicit mindset that there's only one team in town.

In a sense, you cold regard it as an indication of the fact that our status has grown over the last few years: BR simply aren't on his radar. Now,when you talk about 'touchy-feely', doesn't that thought give you a nice warm glow?

Yes, amongst other thoughts! :0)

Surely GD of -9 tell us we need atleast a defender and a Striker or is that too simplistic?

Archived