IGNORED

Lambert

Ralph Milne

Not good enough for the championship. Big step up from div 1 just ask Trundle. You will see Grant Holt also struggle next year if he stays at Norwich.

I stand to be corrected mind you but players such as Lambert and Holt are short of pace and would struggle

Andy carroll isn't quick?

may be rubbish but rumours on the rovers forum suggest we are lining up a 3million bid for lambert.

I can tell you this now that Lambert will be a Celtic player before the season starts. Guaranteed done deal and the source is a very, very good Saints source.

To be fair to Lambert a lot of the goals he scores are of pure quality, many long range strikes and free kicks that are unstoppable at any level.

Personally at the right price i think he would be a decent signing. I wouldnt even consider it if Southampton wanted anything over a million for him though, i dont care what he has done in league one no player with only lower league experience especially at his age (28?!) should cost over a million.

Would he cut it in the Championship? To me he has a lot of similarities to Trundle in pace/weight/size.

Very true, technically good but hasn't got Championship fitness.

I can also guarantee that Grant Holt will not score anywhere near 30 goals next season, most defending at our level is a class above league 1 standard and just goes to prove how well Nicky Maynard has done.

BCAGFC

I've never been entirely convinced by Ricky Lambert.

Certainly, no-one can doubt his goal scoring record in the fast few seasons. However, i think he knows he is a little too good for L1, but has doubts himself whether he is capable of making the step up to Championship level.

He has an awsome strike on him, is strong in the air, and does occasionally show a touch of class in his play. PACE, that is the question with him.

I just think at £3m, and i dont blame Southampton to be asking for that, bearing in mind his achievements last season, he is one hell of a gamble for any side playing at a higher level.

Would i be happy if we signed him?

I really dont know! it seems alot of money, but you cant argue with his goal ratio.

Would i risk my own money on him?

Probably not! although that would probably make the transfer fee about £45!

Will be interesting to see what happens, but no doubt an offer from Celtic will take him there, and im sure he will do well up there. Mind you, i would expect myself to score 15 a season in SPL!

100% agree

Many on here are clouding there views on the fact that he used to play for rovers.

You would think a team will eventually gamble and give him a shot at a bigger league, at 28, from his perspective, that needs to be now.

He would take a move to Celtic in a shot, but I think we can compete with any SPL club on strength of league, plus we can offer the big prize potentially, Old firm teams, no matter how big they are and how glorious their past may be, they'll never get a chance to play in the best league in the world.

Anyways, £3m will scare off most chairman, £800k with incentives would be more realistic.

You would think a team will eventually gamble and give him a shot at a bigger league, at 28, from his perspective, that needs to be now.

He would take a move to Celtic in a shot, but I think we can compete with any SPL club on strength of league, plus we can offer the big prize potentially, Old firm teams, no matter how big they are and how glorious their past may be, they'll never get a chance to play in the best league in the world.

Anyways, £3m will scare off most chairman, £800k with incentives would be more realistic.

A 30+ goals scorer from the football league wouldn't cost anything less than over £1M. In fact £1M would be a bargain for Lambert.

He could well be a good signing for us. Wouldn't mind him being here.

Several seasons too late imo, should've nicked him from the gas after the JPT games... he was an obvious target to go for then, couldve picked him up for relatively small money.

Was waiting at the time to hear that we were after him -but it never happened :dunno: ... during the Jpt game at AG he was the standout player on the pitch for me, the only real danger man in the match & he was wearing blue/white quarters :grr: ...

Why GJ didnt go for him then I cant fathom, reckon we wouldve saved a bundle of wasted cash speculating on numerous striking failures signed since then.

If we had him before he hit his purple patch for the gas & subsequently for the saints I believe he wouldve done the same for us.

The potential was already there to be seen by everyone, I hope we didnt miss out purely due to city/gas rivalry because imo Lambert was just what we needed then & since... imagine how potent we wouldve been with Maynard & Lambert emerging together at the same time in City colours!!

Too late now though - the horse has bolted, - big mistake to have let such an obvious potential asset pass us by.

:tumbleweed:

Just because Lambert has scored a few goals in League 1, doesn't mean he'll score just as many in the Championship, you only got to look at Matt Fryant at Leicester to see that.

I do think that some of our fans love to "get off" on Gash connections, whether it's their ex-players or Holloway, some of our lot seem fixated and even seem to go over the top to be seen to want what the Gash used to have.

Just because Lambert has scored a few goals in League 1, doesn't mean he'll score just as many in the Championship, you only got to look at Matt Fryant at Leicester to see that.

I do think that some of our fans love to "get off" on Gash connections, whether it's their ex-players or Holloway, some of our lot seem fixated and even seem to go over the top to be seen to want what the Gash used to have.

a few goals?? surely the dumbest post for a long time. Well done that man.

1.5 million would buy him.

That seems unlikely. I believe Southampton paid £1M+ for him and Pardew has said he's not leaving.

Suggestions that they'll sell him for a little above what they paid seem far fetched - just like the idea that we'd let Maynard go for £2.5 -3M.

Of course a head turning offer to the player could change things - but that would be Celtic (or EPL) not us.

I have to say I'm impressed how objective this thread is - relatively little objection based on who he used to play for. Admittedly some prejudice saying he's fat - which doesn't stand up looking at recent photos.

Archived