IGNORED

Watney Cup Footage From 1973

Bristol_Mick

I thought you guys might be interested in the video that has just been posted on one of our sites (Stoke) showing the MOTD coverage from our game with you in the Watney Cup semi final at the Victoria Ground in August 73. Dig the hair - especially Keith Fear. Good goal from your Ritchie too!

http://northy.footballunited.com/2010/05/14/video-watney-cup-1973-stoke-4-1-bristol-city/

Mike (SCFC)

I thought you guys might be interested in the video that has just been posted on one of our sites (Stoke) showing the MOTD coverage from our game with you in the Watney Cup semi final at the Victoria Ground in August 73. Dig the hair - especially Keith Fear. Good goal from your Ritchie too!

http://northy.footba...1-bristol-city/

Mike (SCFC)

Classic post. Brought back so many memories? Strange thing is that I actually attended the Plymouth V Stoke match at Home Park (Even though i am BCFC through and through) as I was on holiday with my parents in Cornwall when the game was on and my Dad took me up to Plymouth on the train across the Tamar Bridge.

Thanks so much for posting - Brilliant memories.

Classic post. Brought back so many memories? Strange thing is that I actually attended the Plymouth V Stoke match at Home Park (Even though i am BCFC through and through) as I was on holiday with my parents in Cornwall when the game was on and my Dad took me up to Plymouth on the train across the Tamar Bridge.

Thanks so much for posting - Brilliant memories.

We were away at Posh, absolute mayhem, kicked off big time.A daily Mail reporter had his brand new white Jag srayed with City Rules!

Needless to say he wrote a huge editorial about the "thugs" of BCFC (a precurser to the Evil Post no doubt)!

Nice away kit from us also, yellow shirts with BLUE (yes BLUE) shorts!

After the game, City announced they would never play in yellow again!

For younger members of this forum the Watney cup was for the top two scoring teams in each of the four divisions who failed to win promo or qualify for Europe.

The tournament was held as a pre season tournament. The Div 4 pair would be home to the div 2 pair and the div 3 teams would host the div 1 teams on Saturday. The semis would be held in midweek and the final on the next Saturday. As replays were out of the question, that competition introduced us to the delights of penalty shoot outs. The first year 4th div Colchester beat 1st div WBA in the final that way and a few year later the gas won it by beating The Blades on pens.

72-72 City from Div 2 and gas from Div 3 both qualified, but both went out in the semis.

Archived