IGNORED

Bcfc Robin Badge Poll

Warwickshire Red

BCFC Robin Badge  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the robin and bridge mean bristol city football club

but the current badge can stand for bristol anything

ie,rugby,the city council or cricket team.

Surely with so many fans moaning about us being

referred to as bristol the old 70,s badge tells

other fans we are bristol city football club,

and the media still use it to portray us.

:englandsmile4wf:

The coat of arms works so well because it looks timeless, everything else (the robin) just looks like a ghastly example from the decade in which it was invented. Someone on here posted about Cheltenham's new badge and I thought that looked dreadful too - it looks like something from a piece of commercial stationery.

the robin and bridge mean bristol city football club

but the current badge can stand for bristol anything

ie,rugby,the city council or cricket team.

Surely with so many fans moaning about us being

referred to as bristol the old 70,s badge tells

other fans we are bristol city football club,

and the media still use it to portray us.

:englandsmile4wf:

Don't you find it hipocritical of a forum called 'One Team In Bristol' that it moans about the club not being defined from the other teams?

I do think the media should call us Bristol City but it's indicitive of the level of public awareness we've risen to that they do refer to us as bristol and therefore as bristol's only team.

Concerning the badge, I agree with fka dagest, the badge is a symbol of our heritage and i'm perfectly fine with Swindon being the robins. What I would say though is get rid of the white shield shape behind the badge, I think it's ugly. I would have the badge on its own.

The badge poll on here will always reflect the way of the current badge, it always has!!

same old people voting 30 to 40 so say wink.gif

now the facebook group of 2,665 will not agree with keeping the crest it does not reflect

this website!!

http://www.facebook....88683348&ref=ts

Another poll not long started 36 for the robin 5 against the crest

http://host1.easypol...ll.html?p=12584

Facebook poll robin 391 crest 291

http://apps.facebook...2000533/results

I take polls on this website with a pinch of salt as i do on zh wink.gif....

BUT HERE GOES as in the nickname thread...

I have never liked the crest, to many people have used it from the council, Bristol rovers, Bristol rugby club,

gloucester cricket club to every thing Bristol ''we are not rovers'' or the others i stated, the rovers are the pirates and however shite their badge it represents them, the crest has no real ID to Bristol City, Bristol yes, but us as a club no, and i have read how irritated some get when the media refer us to as just ''BRISTOL'' it's the same feeling for me with this crest badge it has no ID of it's own to me or to our club, the robin may need a revamp granted but it is what we are called ''Bristol City fc The Robins'' we should have a badge to reflect our nickname and if that is to change ''the nickname'' then that should go hand in hand with our club badge...

From ''we want our robin back'' facebook group

The Robin is undoubtedly a icon of Britain featuring on Christmas cards but from 1976 for nearly two decades was along with the Suspension bridge the emblem of Bristol City fc. This period was without doubt the most successful but also turbulent in the clubs history. For a time during this period it seemed City had established themselves in the first division before becoming the first ever team to suffer three successive relegations and occupying bottom spot of the fourth division by early 82.

In the mid nineties the decision was taken to change the clubs emblem back to a crest. Now some ten years and more on this move has still yet to really catch the imagination of fans or even become an instantly identifiable image associated with Bristol City fc. Ask most fans of other fans what is the nickname of Bristol City fc? Instantly it's the Robins. Ask what features on the club badge and the answer is the Robin and Suspension bridge not the crest of Bristol! Even the media constantly use the Robin and Suspension bridge seemingly in the mistaken belief it really is Citys current badge.

There's something unlovable about the Crest. Its not really ours, Bristol City have no greater claim on it than anybody else and parts of the design have indeed been used by the noxious Gas in the past, the egg chasing lot up Gloucester road, the Bristol Car company and part currently looks suspiciously like the anti sport eating councils image. The Gas have as much claim to this badge as we do and we do not need a symbol that represents all of Bristol including Easton, East Vile, Fishponds and Whorefield.

In the Robin and Suspension bridge we have the perfect emblem of our club. Here with its Suspension bridge is a celebration of a marvel of architecture which nobody else can lay claim to. Couple this with the Robin a Spirited fierce fighter, willing to battle with rival birds to the death to defend its territory and we have something to be proud of.

This robin works, its simple, instantly recognisable with a perfect balance of red , white and black catching the onlookers attention and remaining in the memory. The Crest simply does not work in the same manner, its fussy, unoriginal, forever tainted with its association with others and the terrible and the repellent stigma pictured .

The supporters trust use a robin on their logo is there plans to change? (hope not) forza eastend and the Three Lions use an angry robin is there plans to change?(no) the club use a badge that looks like 2 jaundice unicorns humping a ship and a castle wearing a silly snakes hat?? is there plans to change? hope so...

A NEW ROBIN DESIGN??? So Someone out there design something new, lets see

errr sink that slave ship!!! wink.gif

rob5557.jpg

rob5556.jpg

badgexs1.gif

arms-bris-01a.jpg

The arms are based on the early seals of Bristol, from which the ship and castle theme (signifying a strongly fortified harbour) developed. The shield was in use from about the 14th century, and to this was added in 1569 supporters (the two unicorns) and the crest (two arms rising from the clouds holding scales and a serpent). The significance of these various items is recorded in the City Audit Books of this time:- the Unicorns will only do homage to men of virtue; the arms in the crest signify that good government depends on wisdom (the serpent) and justice (the scales) and that these are divine gifts from above.

By a patent of "Robert Cooke esq, alias Clariencieux, principall and kinge of armes of the southe easte and weste partes of this realme of England from the river of Trente southewardes", the arms of the city of Bristol are declared to be "gules on a mount vert, issuant out of a castle silver upon wave, a ship gold" and the crest and supporters granted in 1569 "upon the heaulme in a wreathe golde and gules; issuant out of the cloudes two armes in saltour charnew, in the one hand a serpent vert, in the other a pair of balance gold; supported with two unicornes seant gold mained, horned; and clayed sables mantled gules dowbled silver." The motto "Virtute et industria."

Aug 20 1569

gt-brit-bit-05b.jpgarms-drillhall-02.jpg

In short, the arms show a golden ship leaving from the Watergate of a silver castle.

Bristol's castle at this time was a twin-towered structure, built in the 1240s by order of Henry III.

Versions of the coat of arms can be seen in various places in the city from a decoration on the SS Great Britain (above left) to innumerable instances on public buildings. They even decorate the city's bridges.

The arms also led to the pub name 'The Ship and Castle', seen in many areas which had connections with Bristol.

virtut01.jpgbristol-arms-200.jpgBath-Road-Briddge-arms-12100-129.jpg

The golden Unicorns perched on top of the Council House on College Green are based on the supporters from the city's arms. They arrived in 1950, a pair of 12 foot high gilt bronzes, much to the surprise of the Council. Only when the architect returned from holiday did they learn where the creatures were to live.

unicorn-1.jpg

The robin

but from 1976 for nearly two decades was along with the Suspension bridge the emblem of Bristol City fc. This period was without doubt the most successful but also turbulent in the clubs history. For a time during this period it seemed City had established themselves in the first division before becoming the first ever team to suffer three successive relegations and occupying bottom spot of the fourth division by early 82.

In the mid nineties the decision was taken to change the clubs emblem back to a crest. Now some ten years and more on this move has still yet to really catch the imagination of fans or even become an instantly identifiable image associated with Bristol City fc. Ask most fans of other fans what is the nickname of Bristol City fc? Instantly it's the Robins. Ask what features on the club badge and the answer is the Robin and Suspension bridge not the crest of Bristol! Even the media constantly use the Robin and Suspension bridge seemingly in the mistaken belief it really is Citys current badge.

In the Robin and Suspension bridge we have the perfect emblem of our club. Here with its Suspension bridge is a celebration of a marvel of architecture which nobody else can lay claim to. Couple this with the Robin a Spirited fierce fighter, willing to battle with rival birds to the death to defend its territory and we have something to be proud of.

This robin works, its simple, instantly recognisable with a perfect balance of red , white and black catching the onlookers attention and remaining in the memory. The Crest simply does not work in the same manner, its fussy, unoriginal, forever tainted with its association with others and the terrible and the repellent stigma pictured .

http://www.facebook....88683348&v=wall

The coat of arms works so well because it looks timeless, everything else (the robin) just looks like a ghastly example from the decade in which it was invented. Someone on here posted about Cheltenham's new badge and I thought that looked dreadful too - it looks like something from a piece of commercial stationery.

100% with you on this, I totally hated the robin badge during our first division days.

100% with you on this, I totally hated the robin badge during our first division days.

just the first division days? you must have hated it most of bcfc history, city had it during the 80's and up to mid nineties and as i remember the robin has been an icon with Bristol city for a very long time also Bristol city's shirts did not always have a badge on them and the crest was used before the robin and back to the crest after, however Bristol city have used the robin on their programmes for a long time even when there was no badge on the shirts, the image was a robin in front of a gate.

9427_1236096592100_1519775573_30637616_6510580_n.jpg

9427_1236096632101_1519775573_30637617_1748031_n.jpg

6454_118372627507_798687507_2249789_4292243_n.jpg

n666857513_420711_5108.jpg

5534_104417792507_798687507_2074094_153744_n.jpg

5534_104417797507_798687507_2074095_3909394_n.jpg

n666857513_420677_7867.jpg

n666857513_420707_4206.jpg

5889_117180597513_666857513_2492587_8373730_n.jpg

I have never liked the crest, to many people have used it from the council, Bristol rovers, Bristol rugby club,

gloucester cricket club to every thing Bristol ''we are not rovers'' or the others i stated, the rovers are the pirates and however shite their badge it represents them, the crest has no real ID to Bristol City, Bristol yes, but us as a club no, and i have read how irritated some get when the media refer us to as just ''BRISTOL'' it's the same feeling for me with this crest badge it has no ID of it's own to me or to our club, the robin may need a revamp granted but it is what we are called ''Bristol City fc The Robins'' we should have a badge to reflect our nickname and if that is to change ''the nickname'' then that should go hand in hand with our club badge...

From ''we want our robin back'' facebook group

The Robin is undoubtedly a icon of Britain featuring on Christmas cards but from 1976 for nearly two decades was along with the Suspension bridge the emblem of Bristol City fc. This period was without doubt the most successful but also turbulent in the clubs history. For a time during this period it seemed City had established themselves in the first division before becoming the first ever team to suffer three successive relegations and occupying bottom spot of the fourth division by early 82.

There's something unlovable about the Crest. Its not really ours, Bristol City have no greater claim on it than anybody else and parts of the design have indeed been used by the noxious Gas in the past, the egg chasing lot up Gloucester road, the Bristol Car company and part currently looks suspiciously like the anti sport eating councils image. The Gas have as much claim to this badge as we do and we do not need a symbol that represents all of Bristol including Easton, East Vile, Fishponds and Whorefield.

The supporters trust use a robin on their logo is there plans to change? (hope not) forza eastend and the Three Lions use an angry robin is there plans to change?(no) the club use a badge that looks like 2 jaundice unicorns humping a ship and a castle wearing a silly snakes hat?? is there plans to change? hope so...

A NEW ROBIN DESIGN??? So Someone out there design something new, lets see

errr sink that slave ship!!! wink.gif

All of this.

BRING BACK THE ROBIN / SUSPENSION BRIDGE!!!

Send the boring crest back to the boring bureaucrats in the Council House. :preacher:

Bollocks, no more or less fake than the completely artificial Robins nickname.

Robins are gay, simple as that. All the robin badges look like a kid with some crayons did them during detention.

Whereas those two unicorns with blunt horns look real cool! disapointed2se.gif

I voted to bring the robin badge back. But, I'd be happy with a new updated robin/suspension bridge design.

Whereas those two unicorns with blunt horns look real cool! disapointed2se.gif

I voted to bring the robin badge back. But, I'd be happy with a new updated robin/suspension bridge design.

So are you saying if we make the horn sharp that would like the current badge?

I'm with Nibor on this - the robin looks dated (and will look dated after every year unless updated every year) and quite frankly why would we want a robin, a single symbol that represents more clubs up and down the country than any other (its the most dull and boring middle of the road nickname going)!

I hear arguments like "we make it our own by putting the suspension bridge on it" but if its the bridge that's our true representation then why include the robin? with this in mind why not make the badge bridge like and change the nickname to be something bridge like? obviously try and avoid making the badge look like the Cisco systems badge!

no thanks

Shows the weakness of your argument really.

Robins is a shit nickname and the badges with them on are childish.

I'd much rather have the current badge than some crayola creation and if we have to have a nickname I'd rather it wasn't a chirpy little bird shared with half a dozen other teams.

Keep on fighting your cause though, if you try hard enough they might just bring the 70s back.

Shows the weakness of your argument really.

Robins is a shit nickname and the badges with them on are childish.

I'd much rather have the current badge than some crayola creation and if we have to have a nickname I'd rather it wasn't a chirpy little bird shared with half a dozen other teams.

Keep on fighting your cause though, if you try hard enough they might just bring the 70s back.

the robins badge is shit because you say it's shit

great argument

Firstly I am against the robin badge, I hate it and have always hated it and will always hate it.

However as a nickname, for a place at the rear of the shirt and for items in the club shop I have no problem with it.

and Nibor actually Robins are certainly not gay, They are one of the most violent and territorial birds in the bird world, Most fights between robins over territory inevitably ends in the death of one of them. They are a bird that will take no crap from other birds. When you feed garden birds and the various species are feeding, As soon as a robin comes onto the feed table the other species get out of the way very quickly, Too be honest they are not popular amongst other bird species and whilst other species bugger off during the winter to sunnier climes, The robin is still there visible in all winds and weathers, Well hard.

I'm definitely in favour of bringing the robins/bridge badge back.

In my view the badge is all about having a specific identity. Many of the easily recognisable team badges have nothing to do with city crests and are instantly recognisable. You just have to look at random examples such Forest, Arsenal, Aberdeen, Birmingham, Leicester, Liverpool etc plus any number of foreign club badges such Juventus, Bayern Munich, Barcelona. In fact a lot of teams include their team name with an image and that's more or less it.

If you looks at teams that use a city crest it just looks far too fussy and uninteresting in my opinion and certainly far from being instantly recognisable. It's all individual taste of course but having first seen City in the first division days, to me that robins badge IS Bristol City. It has a simple and easily recognisable image which not only reflects our Robins nickname but incorporates a strong Bristol icon in the suspension bridge.

Opinion on this forum seems fairly split though CH has quite a few fans on facebook signed up to support the Robins badge. SL has said (understandably) that the nickname/badge aren't priorities for him. However, with over 2500 fans signed up on facebook, I think there seems enough support for the club to ask the fans what they really want if it's important to them. That's what I'd like to see anyway.

Alternatively, if SL prefers an aggressive nickname image for the club maybe he'd prefer it if we changed our name to" the King Cobras" or "the Cobras". (Not much connection with Bristol there though unless you stuck a suspension bridge in behind!).

u18644998.jpg

I'm kind of in between here, but I do think the badge should be changed-something edgier and modern but specifically defines who we are. If this has a robin in it or not, so be it! Anybody out there good with computer graphics?! I'm sure if they can knock up City's next kit then a badge shouldn't be too tricky. Would love to see some ideas of what people actually want.

Archived