IGNORED

Barlowe Defends Phillips.

Robbored

I think its fair to say that Steve Phillips hasn't taken muck stick on here after his error on Saturday.Most of us fans would accept that mistakes are part of the game but when a goalkeeper makes a rick its often more costly.

Phillips also played a superbly and made a string of good saves.If hadn't been for his performance City could have been facing a deficit on Wednesday night.

Management defending Phillips is not necessary in my view.

Guest Ciderhead Reynolds

agreed , but seeing Phillips reaction at the end of the game i think he needed a bit of public re-asurance !!

So when Miller missed that chance at Swindon it was okay for Wilson to come out on the radio and critisise him for him?

If I remember rightly Wilson said that Miller "should have scored". Thats a fact - Miller should have scored and Miller admitted as much himself.

Stating the obvious is not critism when everyone agrees with it.

If it wasn't for Phillips we would have lost 4 or 5 goals, he pulled off a number of fantastic saves and I though deserevd man of the match for it. Ok he made one mistake for the goal but what about Tinnions ball which put Phillips under tha pressure etc, you could blame it on a number of reasons. Why put added pressure on a young bloke who has played fantastic this season and won so many points for us. There is no need to put added pressureon his shoulders so don't think about critising him becasue he doesn't deserve it.

Phillips's shot stopping in my opinion premiership quality. If he could tone up on his other area he would be a goalkeeper too good for us.

The mistake on saturday wasn't just his faught though he must take some blame for it. However his numerous amount of superb saves which any average division 2 keepers wouldn't of saved more than made up for it.

The difference between criticing him for that and Miller forhismiss is that Phillips actually played well before hand and actually already done many good things. Miller however came on and didn't really make a difference.

there was no need for philips to come out for that ball saturday,but it wasnt entirely his fault,carey should have put it in the stand for starters,so its right for barlow to defend him,as he seems to be taking most of the blame.

As I understand it from the interview with Louis, Steve had admitted he called out saying he was claiming the ball and then missed it, so Stevie had admitted it was pretty much his mistake. Team mates seem to have responded with comments about it not being one persons fault and Steve made some good saves - so evens out.

Good to see his team mates supporting him and for Frank to say the same - good team spirit, no blame culture, team responsibility - sounds good to me.

I thought Frank Barlow put it in perspective nicely as did Louis.

I thought the best thing about Phillips performance was his command of the area. He actually came for, and claimed, some crosses. I can't remember the last time he did this?

His confidence was reassuring. I just hope it hasn't been shot to pieces by his unfortunate mistake. Also, he must realise how lucky he was with the penalty. He could well have cost City the game.

Also, he must realise how lucky he was with the penalty. He could well have cost City the game.
In fairness though he had no choice but to come out for the penalty - yeah he got lucky but if he hadnt come out the way he did williams probably would've scored and we would have lost the match

Archived