IGNORED

City Greats

Bristolface

Good evening fellow City fans,

Im getting wedd next fri and our table names are going to be city greats of old, I started watching City back in 86 so most of my city greats are of my generation with a few exceptions from Parents and grandparents storys, I need 15 names for the tables so far I have with Atyeo being the top table well he has to really doesnt he but after that I have , Tinnion / carey / Newman / Gow / murray / Dotherty / maynard / bob taylor / garland / Skuse / Dziekanowski / Shaun taylor / Royle and of course are fab Chairmman Lansdown . So can you think of any better and who would you swap ? give you something to think about close season hehe

Yea I know what you mean but then Lansdown has done so much for this club, I said to the Mrs should just be players really but she wants a lansdown table, hark at her thinks she knows summit about football, even turned on the england game this eve, marrying a good one there haha, So if lansodwn stays who do i drop to get walshy in ? I did grow up watching the Walshy shuffle

Im getting wedd next fri and our table names are going to be city greats of old, I started watching City back in 86 so most of my city greats are of my generation with a few exceptions from Parents and grandparents storys, I need 15 names for the tables so far I have with Atyeo being the top table well he has to really doesnt he but after that I have , Tinnion / carey / Newman / Gow / murray / Dotherty / maynard / bob taylor / garland / Skuse / Dziekanowski / Shaun taylor / Royle and of course are fab Chairmman Lansdown . So can you think of any better and who would you swap ? give you something to think about close season hehe

Cashley

Sweeney

Drysdale

Merrick

Collier

Gow

Tainton

Mann

Whitehead

Cheesley

Ritchie

:worship2:

That great side which gained promotion to the old first division in 1976, ending a 65-year exile.

Marvin Harriott

Gus Ceaser

Henry McCop

Bas Savage

Based on 45% of marriages going tits up, you might want to hedge your bets slightly?

Skuse? Really? Not just yet

As others have said Walsh, Tom Ritchie, Andy Llewellyn.

How about Forbes Phillipson-Masters, poshest name to ever play for the City, surely

Marvin Harriott

Gus Ceaser

Henry McCop

Bas Savage

Based on 45% of marriages going tits up, you might want to hedge your bets slightly?

You almost sound a tad bitter there, Rob. . .

Marvin Harriott

Gus Ceaser

Henry McCop

Bas Savage

come on mate keep it positive. Congratulations to you both on tying the knot and best wishes for you in your future.

as for city greats surely you must include walshy and cheesely??

Norman Hunter, the best defender I have seen in a City shirt - 3 great seasons in the top flight. One of the hardest footballers ever, but oozed class.

Are you really planning this for the wedding or is it just an excuse to chat about city players of the pastinnocent06.gif ? All the bestclapping.gif

Hi Ed

I did exactly the same when I got married on 14th Dec 2002. Fantastic day not just because of the wedding, but City beat Cardiff 2-0 at Ninian Park, Live on Sky. It was a 5 O'Clock KO so managed to watch about half an hour between the reception and evening do!!!!

I definately had tables for Atyeo, Tinnion, Dziekanowski, Bob Taylor, Rob Newman, Richie, Walshy, and Joe Jordan. Beyond that it's all a blur!!!!

ForeverRed

MITCHELL

I suppose it depends on how far back you go.

If it's CITY's all-time greats you are honouring then you really can't omit Billy "Fatty" Wedlock.

Capped for England 23 times ,:-and we've haven"t really had another player like him- with the possible exception of John Atyeo.

Same season I started - you have to have a Neville and a Riley table!

Good luck for the big day mate!

Rob Newman, Bobby Hutchinson, Gary Shelton, David Rennie, Robbie Turner, Bob Taylor, Keith Waugh, Mark Gavin, DEFINITELY ALAN WALSH,

David "Smudger" Smith, Martin Scott, John Bailey, Stuart Munro, Darren Barnard, Mickey Bell, Norman Hunter?

The list is endless, hope it gives you some ideas!!!

I went to my first City game with school as a mere lad in 1978, but started going regularly on my own from about 1984, so roughly the same era.

Any greats list from then (and I'm assuming post 1986, so - shock horror! - no Atyeo) would have to include:

God Taylor (seriously, just because) (he's in the all-time list anyway)

Jackie (not many games but a top player)

Goal King Cole (ditto)

Rob Newman

Alan Walsh (he's in the all-time list anyway)

Louise Carey

Mickey Bell

Scotty (no, not Scott McGarvey)

Joe Jordan (player manager?)

Tinman

Llewy

Ivan Tistemetnantatntatntaatanu (spelling?) (another with few games but a total star)

I'd also include Buster the Physio, because he was THE MAN. Anyone sitting on that table would have to wear a really tight (white) T-shirt.

Probably easier to do an all time XI, so there you're talking the likes of Atyeo, Wedlock, Gow, Cheesley, Ritchie et al. And I'd have God Taylor and probably Walshy in that list also.

I went to my first City game with school as a mere lad in 1978, but started going regularly on my own from about 1984, so roughly the same era.

Any greats list from then (and I'm assuming post 1986, so - shock horror! - no Atyeo) would have to include:

God Taylor (seriously, just because) (he's in the all-time list anyway)

Jackie (not many games but a top player)

Goal King Cole (ditto)

Rob Newman

Alan Walsh (he's in the all-time list anyway)

Louise Carey

Mickey Bell

Scotty (no, not Scott McGarvey)

Joe Jordan (player manager?)

Tinman

Llewy

Ivan Tistemetnantatntatntaatanu (spelling?) (another with few games but a total star)

I'd also include Buster the Physio, because he was THE MAN. Anyone sitting on that table would have to wear a really tight (white) T-shirt.

Probably easier to do an all time XI, so there you're talking the likes of Atyeo, Wedlock, Gow, Cheesley, Ritchie et al. And I'd have God Taylor and probably Walshy in that list also.

...and sit next to the air conditioning with it set to minus 10 !!

The word "great" is the most misused word used in football, "great " team,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "great" player,,,,,,,,,,,"great" pass and so on.

Keep it real, great has to be exactly that, something that is truly GREAT. For what it's worth my oppinion is that John Atyeo was Great.

Cheers lads and lasses have now added Walshy to the mix and was chatting with my usher today who said well you should name the bar after Jacki, so then you can include Hunter ha ha, shame we couldnt invite more now as got at least 18 names to fit in really but 15 tables of 10 is costing enough ha ha any way come 3o'clock and the wedding kicks off after a few pints of farm house Zider i'll doubt I will care

Cheers lads and lasses have now added Walshy to the mix and was chatting with my usher today who said well you should name the bar after Jacki, so then you can include Hunter ha ha, shame we couldnt invite more now as got at least 18 names to fit in really but 15 tables of 10 is costing enough ha ha any way come 3o'clock and the wedding kicks off after a few pints of farm house Zider i'll doubt I will care

How about naming a table after great partnerships, apt given its a wedding!! - that way you could get a few more in - so Cheeseley/Ritchie, Collier/Merrick, Gow/Tainton ......................................

Joe Royle was a great for Everton, not for us. Quoting from Wikipedia:

"His time at Bristol City, however, had not been so fruitful. After a storming on-loan debut, scoring four, Joe only tallied another 14 goals in the remaining 100 games with the reds."

Geoff Merrick, for captaining the promotion-winning side and being one of the Ashton Gate Eight would be a more than fitting replacement.

Archived