IGNORED

Hartley Off?

Who Shot JR?

http://www.football.co.uk/bristol_city/robins_reject_hartley_rumours_311715.shtml

I know the rumour has been quashed, but it did make me wonder how SC will manage the firebrand that is Paul Hartley. Will the bearded one tow the line? Will SC allow him to be so outspoken/confrontational? What percentage of the season will SC make Hartley warm the bench for? Will he hand him the captain's armband!?!

Unless he can fit into the plan and suddenly gets fit enough to work box to box for 90 minutes he may have difficulty. Can't see Steve standing any nonsense either. No manager can allow a player or players to think they run the show and Steve will know the role that played in Gary's demise.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see PH go through the summer. As Chinapig has covered already unless he finds some magic fitness button through the summer then it will be the highway for him. No doubting his talent and under performed through his time with GJ for whatever reasons. However SC has always had to all action, box to box central midfielders.

Unless he can fit into the plan and suddenly gets fit enough to work box to box for 90 minutes he may have difficulty. Can't see Steve standing any nonsense either. No manager can allow a player or players to think they run the show and Steve will know the role that played in Gary's demise.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Hartley, but I also wonder whether or not SC will give him much playing time. I think SC will bring in a more dynamic midfielder and give our midfield a much-needed boost.

Hartley is an intelligent footballer who I think SC will deploy in a deeper position when needs be.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Hartley, but I also wonder whether or not SC will give him much playing time. I think SC will bring in a more dynamic midfielder and give our midfield a much-needed boost.

Hartley is an intelligent footballer who I think SC will deploy in a deeper position when needs be.

... if indeed he is still with us next term!

It's common knowledge that the travelling back and forth to Scotland to see his family is a bit of a fag for him. Perhaps he is off to Hibs after all!!!!!whistle.gif

Was Hartley really out of order in the days under Johnson?

I don't think he was. He basically felt the manager was making some appalling selection errors and as a result we were playing absolute gash football - both of which are true.

I am not sure if Coppell will keep him. He's not going to get any younger and you use him for his intelligence and technique - combined with experience that you can't get in 22 year olds.

Paul Hartley aged 25 would go box to box yeah - thing is Paul Hartley aged 25 would be out of our price range and not playing for us.

... if indeed he is still with us next term!

It's common knowledge that the travelling back and forth to Scotland to see his family is a bit of a fag for him. Perhaps he is off to Hibs after all!!!!!whistle.gif

That's a fking commute and a half and is pretty dedicated.

I live in SW London and going back to AG every other saturday gets on my nerves and it's only 2 hours door to door. Up and back from Scotland is some effort.

I wouldnt mind if we let him go

he is a class act on the ball but isnt getting any younger and certainly cannot be part of our long term plans

as quality as he looks with the ball at his feet i wonder how many goals/assists he actually racked up last season. From memory im not sure it was enough to justify his position in the team as a creative/attack minded centre mid.

Can anyone out there tot up his goals / assiusts stats from last season? I dont have the statto powers :laugh:.

many threads floating round on this topic...

Think I can sum them all up by saying - undoubtedly talented and his control/distribution has at times looked world class this season, however his fitness is dwindling and would need to work extremely hard over the summer to fit into coppells "bracket" for a centre midfielder, also has been commuting to and from Scotland a couple of times a week so may well decide a move closer to the border is a better idea for himself and his family.

Would love to see him stay but can't see him wanting to warm the bench for 85% of the season

Top midfielder for goals and assists last season - 5 goals, 6 assists.

Our Player of the year plays in the same position and only got 2 goals and 2 assists. I'm not having a go at either of them, I believe they are both really good players and are valuable to the team.

but more impressive record than any other of our midfielders and at times not first choice.

Think you might want to go and check that.

Hartley started 36 times, Skuse 39, Elliott 33. Skuse also got two goals from open play, Sno got three...

6 assists isn't all that if you're taking all the corners and free kicks...

Some of Hartley's performances last season were poor and I'm pretty convinced that he hasn't got the legs to play back to back Saturday-Tuesday games, of which there are a lot in the C'ship due to International breaks.

Quality when fully fit but time not on his side

Think you might want to go and check that.

Hartley started 36 times, Skuse 39, Elliott 33. Skuse also got two goals from open play, Sno got three...

6 assists isn't all that if you're taking all the corners and free kicks...

Some of Hartley's performances last season were poor and I'm pretty convinced that he hasn't got the legs to play back to back Saturday-Tuesday games, of which there are a lot in the C'ship due to International breaks.

Quality when fully fit but time not on his side

Good points. I hate this whole "assists" thing taken from American sport anyway as it oversimplifies football. What if a defender makes a brilliant interception, carries the ball upfield, plays a superb pass to put the winger in space and all he has to do is square an easy ball for a striker to score? Presumably the winger gets the assist? Football is a team game; you cannot so easily isolate credit for a goal.

Good points. I hate this whole "assists" thing taken from American sport anyway as it oversimplifies football. What if a defender makes a brilliant interception, carries the ball upfield, plays a superb pass to put the winger in space and all he has to do is square an easy ball for a striker to score? Presumably the winger gets the assist? Football is a team game; you cannot so easily isolate credit for a goal.

tongue.gif

rofl2br.gif

Sorry - I couldn't resist!!!!

P.S. I know (and agree) with what you're saying by the way!

Archived