IGNORED

Fans Meeting With The Football Club - Report

thatcham red

On Tuesday 29 June from 8pm at Bar BS3 club officials have agreed to come along and talk to fans. Your very own David Lloyd will be there, along with other decision-makers from the club. Do come along if you can.

The topics up for debate are fans' matchday activities/initiatives and all aspects of access to the East End.

There is a bit of previous to consider where things have not gone so well with collaboration over matchday activities. We won't dwell on those, but they do form a reason make sure we get it right going forward. So, flag days, Red and White Nights, ticker taping, balloons, leaflet distribution or whatever the event is, we need to get better at it.

There are a number of issues for fans around access to the East End. In short, many fans feel that the East End has proven itself since re-opening and should now shake free of some of the stereotypes that are still restricting access for many fans outside of being a season card holder.

A lot of debate is being had on other internet forums about this, however, the Supporters Trust and Forza Eastend want to open this debate up to as wide an audience as possible. The intention is to bring together thoughts and ideas into a brief document for the club to consider prior to the meeting.

So, come on, let's here it.

What sort of fans led matchday activities would you like to see being organised?

What would enhance the uniqueness that is Bristol City Football Club?

How has your experience as a fan been enhanced or not by the East End?

What sort of access would be appropriate for fans to the stand who are not season card holders?

Thanks in advance

Stu

On Tuesday 29 June from 8pm at Bar BS3 club officials have agreed to come along and talk to fans. Your very own David Lloyd will be there, along with other decision-makers from the club. Do come along if you can.

The topics up for debate are fans' matchday activities/initiatives and all aspects of access to the East End.

There is a bit of previous to consider where things have not gone so well with collaboration over matchday activities. We won't dwell on those, but they do form a reason make sure we get it right going forward. So, flag days, Red and White Nights, ticker taping, balloons, leaflet distribution or whatever the event is, we need to get better at it.

There are a number of issues for fans around access to the East End. In short, many fans feel that the East End has proven itself since re-opening and should now shake free of some of the stereotypes that are still restricting access for many fans outside of being a season card holder.

A lot of debate is being had on other internet forums about this, however, the Supporters Trust and Forza Eastend want to open this debate up to as wide an audience as possible. The intention is to bring together thoughts and ideas into a brief document for the club to consider prior to the meeting.

So, come on, let's here it.

What sort of fans led matchday activities would you like to see being organised? Flag Days/ Cider days,festival drunk2.gif

What would enhance the uniqueness that is Bristol City Football Club? see above

How has your experience as a fan been enhanced or not by the East End? Life has been restored to home games and its united vocal support dance.gif

What sort of access would be appropriate for fans to the stand who are not season card holders? p.o.d. same as the rest of the ground sign09.gif

Thanks in advance

Stu

Eastend season card holders and PAYG fans are 2 categories. There is a third too - As a Dolman season card holder, I would love to have the opportunity to switch to the EE every so often - and be happy to pay an admin fee for the privilege. As a season card holder, I would hardly be likely to blow my membership by storming the black netting to get to away fans or lobbing granades across the gap. It would also free up my more expensive seat for the club to sell that day - everyone wins!

Could this be considered too?

I sit in the Dolman but my match experience has been greatly enhanced by the enthusiasm and vocal support from the East End and they have also had a knock on effect on the Atyeo which has resulted in that stand being more vocal with even the Dolman being louder. The East End being open has totally transformed the atmosphere in the ground to the benefit of both supporters and players. Not only that, but the positive support from the East End often drowns out the negative stuff coming from the Dolman and Williams.

I can't understand why those supporters in the East End are treated as second class supporters by the club and the least that the club should do is extend the number of season cards and, especially for the big games, ensure the East End is packed out. On a couple of occasions last season the opposition were given prime position in the stand with our supporters being squeezed into the corner - that is disgraceful from the club.

Ask the players if the East End make a difference.

The people who campaigned for the opening of the East End like Ciderhead, North Street et al worked really hard in getting the stand open and I didn't think they would be successful, but they stuck at it and proved to the club that they were right and the club were wrong.

The club is still wrong in their management of the East End.

I won't be able to make the 29th meeting, but I'd like the sentiments above to be put across to the club as I know I'm not alone in saying it.

Thank you cynic :farmer:

What the chaps at forza eastend are proposing is as follows.

http://www.bcfc3lions.co.uk/forza.html

When the Moon Shines

img5275562.png

During the 2006 - 07 season Bristol City supporters campaigned to reopen the clubs traditional end as an affordable, accessible alternative for vocal support. Three years later the aim of fans to simply bowl up to the ground with their mates, get behind the goal and sing like fans had done for decades still is unattainable. The Eastend for Bristol City fans has become a closed shop only accessible for those without season tickets when the attendance … "Overspill" gets in then. Affordable maybe, accessible hardly and an alternative well not unless you can get it in it is not. Bristol City supporters have ended up with access arrangements in the Eastend which were not part of any consultation process.

The Eastend should be about more than buying a season ticket and just turn up, Bristol City fans campaigned to get a stand open for ALL

There is no evidence base to suggest having Bristol City support in the Eastend improves Ashton Gate or that some amongst that presence tucked away in blocks F- G may not be happy with the way they are treated. So the following is simply opinion based on several seasons experience and common sense [?].

It is not hard to see that the stand can be improved upon, it is not hard to see that a feeling amongst some that supporters are just taken for granted and treated unevenly could be addressed.

So here are a few proposals, ideas and observations lifted off the Eastenders Forza Eastend website which will be discussed with Bristol FC in attempt to improve red Wurzels lot.

WTMS2.jpg

"Bring a Friend"

For most games in the Eastend there is a lot of scope for the club to reintroduce "Bring Friend", a lot of scope. The Eastend has 5500 seats, there are approximately 1200 Bristol City season ticket holders, most visitors to Ashton Gate muster less than 1500 fans.

Given the average away attendance of numerous clubs over two and three seasons Bristol City fans possessing season tickets if the club was willing could bring two or three friends or family members to games.

Club average away support over two or three seasons:

Barnsley 281

Blackpool 506

Burnley 859

Coventry 748

Crystal Palace 1004

Donny 466

Ipswich 917

Norwich 1125

Preston 726

Scunthorpe 340

Watford 1050

The Eastend has CCTV, segregation going far beyond the majority of clubs. Looking at the above clubs what possible threat to safety, what increased risk would there be from a match v Barnsley?

img5275656.jpg

By the fans day, Red and White Nights

Call it what you want, but next season the club, all fans groups, all stands in unison could work together to promote a fan inspired event Ashton Gate in support of the team. For the Eastend this event could coincide with:

" "Bring a friend"

" Transfers into or out of the Eastend

" Fans with membership being allowed to buy Eastend tickets

" The Eastend being open

This would then create for club and fans something meaningful to promote and provide the club with an opportunity to loosen the rules for access to the Eastend.

Club membership

Why can't club members buy tickets for the Eastend? If you possess membership you can gain priority for away games but not for a section of your own ground!

Megaphone ban

Simple question, Would the anthemic "I am a cider drinker" and "Johnson said" taken such a hold in the Eastend without megaphone? The answer is a no unless somebody else came up with the idea of "Johnson said" and in the case of "I am a cider drinker" singing the cider hymn verse and chorus twice a game for most of 2007 - 2009. The person [contributing to these ideas] responsible for the concerted effort to get both onto the Eastend's repertoire would not have bothered without the extra atmospheric wattage cutting across the stand.

Forza Eastrend would like the megaphone to be given another trail period given that the megaphone did work well co-coordinating chants for a long period. Any concerns can be overcome by having another user.

Fans who have been in the Eastend since 2007 are likely to be a familiar with who we propose will use the megaphone in future if a trial is agreed by the club.

If the trial period is considered a success the club [via Dave L] will be able to directly contact [if necessary] Forza Eastend's spokesperson [not sure yet who he is but hey!] regarding the megaphone and also drum's use.

Leeds - "Overflow"

It is generally accepted that "Overflow" games have poorer atmospheres in the Eastend. How can this be improved upon?

The club's "Overflow" policy of only selling tickets to fans after the other stands have sold out on a free for all basis is not only illogical , but also lessens the enjoyment of regular support. The club could easily improve the experience of fans within the Eastend by allowing fans the opportunity to buy tickets for games where overflow is inevitable like LEEDS LEEDS LEEDS in advance.

Being able to co - ordinate ticket purchases for friends and a family is an accepted aspect of football support at virtually all clubs, but not for supporters of Bristol City FC in their own traditional end, this does nothing to attract new support and families to Bristol City via the Eastend.

The club will sell "Overflow" tickets for the Leeds game, anybody will be allowed into the Eastend regardless of the club knowing who they are or not. The club CAN sell tickets in advance for this match for the Eastend, the club can sell "Bring a friend" tickets, the club can sell tickets to support with membership cards, the club can sell tickets to identifiable fans , the club can sell tickets to fans who want to be within the Eastend for this match who have other commitments or can't afford to go every week, but want to buy tickets at the earliest opportunity rather than wait for the irrational "Overflow" free for all.

SelIing tickets in advance of the Eastend WILL improve the "matchday experience" of Bristol City fans, having fans in the Eastend who really want to be in the stand with their friends or family will go some way towards creating a noisier Eastend.

img5275703.jpg

Segregation

On occasions [Cardiff / Nottingham Forest / Newcastle / Swansea / WBA] last season Bristol City FC moved it's own support in the Eastend into the extreme corner of the stand [blocks G - H]. This action to accommodate visiting supporters not only gives away home advantage in the Eastend, but also again reduces the enjoyment of the clubs own customers while the away fans enjoy a superior view!

It should be noted that while Bristol City's fans are having a poorer view imposed on them the club is not housing away supporters in similar areas of the Eastend [block B].

By simply moving larger away supports over just one block, filling block B the club can still ensure there is adequate segregation and provide Bristol City support with the same area of the stand they would regularly be allocated.

Show your colours

Since 2007 fans within the Eastend were allowed to display flags more or less anywhere and the clubs only proviso was that signage was not concealed. This led to fans buying their own, designing and purchasing their own flags for the rear of the stand.

On matchday flags often stretched right across the whole of the back of the Eastend, now?

After the match v Middlesbrough last season netting was placed across the rear of the Eastend' seating blocks concealing not only signage, but space to hang flags. This netting has now increased in size and there is virtually no space left to display flags beyond one or two within the stand..

In effect this amounts to a ban on home supporters flags, a ban which is clearly not being applied to the away fans and has not been the result of discussion with support..

img5275750.jpg

The club were made aware of fans intentions to create a Eastend which was a colourful and visual backdrop at Ashton Gate. Fans have requested that the netting be at least lowered allowing fans access to the rear of the stand to hang their colours. Fans are requesting again that the club back not only fans initiative, but acknowledge the expense some have gone to by altering the way the netting is hung.

Why can I/we not buy a ticket for this part of the ground either in advance/online/or on the day on a game by game biasis? I can for any other part of the ground or away game.

(p.s I`m approaching "old" now and family and friends, like me, would like to go in this stand but not for every game)

Time to drop the overflow fingerscrossed.gif

Time to move the away fans instead of us,

Time to let your own fans display their flags and love for our club,

Time to go the extra mile,

Time to believe in us fingerscrossed.gifcity.gif

Can I just have my two penny worth .

I am a season ticket holder in the Ayteo along with my son and would like to thank the East End for enhancing the

atmosphere and acting as a catalyst for the whole ground to get involved.

I think back to the last time we played MK Dons at home and about 6 blokes and a drum made more noise than our home support.

The stand is a rarity in age of soulless stadium and must be utilised as the club as an asset to generate vociferous home support.

The fear is about potential violence with the away fans in close attendance , this is only likely against certain "known clubs".

Apart from these matches we should encourage season ticket holders to bring guests and ecourage as many people as possible to savour the atmosphere.

If we have to have such a a huge area for segregation , can we not have a more imaginative to cover the seats than a bit of black netting.

I,m not suggesting an original Banksy mural but someone with a bit of imagination can surely make the space a bit more hospitable (especially viewed from TV } as people must wonder what the hell happens to warrant that level of segration.

The only time I've seen fans trying to get across the netting was the first season the EE was re-opened,and it was the away fans doing it,Cardiff if memory serves I stand to be corrected not city fans. Having said that it,again if memory serves, that situation arose due to Mr.Plod leaving the EE before the final whistle leaving it to the stewards.

2 seasons left at AG, I would like the oppertunity to be able to experience all 3 stands that I dont go in due to having a ST in the other - making a transfer to part of the ground for an admin fee would be acceptable.

The excuse of "too difficult to administer" is not acceptable, put a limit per match of available transfer i.e 250 for each match, once the 250 transfers are gone they are gone. 46 home matches left meaning 11,500 transfers available under the aforementioned suggestion. As I said "too difficult to administer" should not be an excuse, I dare say that there are times of low activity at the box office so make the transfers only available on those days i.e Monday to Weds, make the admin fee £5 and the club earn a potential £57,500 also they could sell on some of the best seats vacated by ST on those matches i.e. £25 a seat would generate a potential additional revenue of £287,500.

2 seasons left at AG, I would like the oppertunity to be able to experience all 3 stands that I dont go in due to having a ST in the other - making a transfer to part of the ground for an admin fee would be acceptable.

The excuse of "too difficult to administer" is not acceptable, put a limit per match of available transfer i.e 250 for each match, once the 250 transfers are gone they are gone. 46 home matches left meaning 11,500 transfers available under the aforementioned suggestion. As I said "too difficult to administer" should not be an excuse, I dare say that there are times of low activity at the box office so make the transfers only available on those days i.e Monday to Weds, make the admin fee £5 and the club earn a potential £57,500 also they could sell on some of the best seats vacated by ST on those matches i.e. £25 a seat would generate a potential additional revenue of £287,500.

Nice one.

Any more from anyone?

I think it's great that the eastend is open again - but it's a shame those of us that can't afford or commit to buying a season ticket are not allowed in there. Do the club really think those of us that want to pay on the day (or in the days leading up to the game are all thugs or something?

Why must a section of our own ground be off limits to fans that can't afford a season ticket?

Why can members get priority for away games (behind season ticket holders) but are banned from entering the eastend? Where is the sense in that? You're OK to represent Bristol City and go to Millwall, Leeds etc - but we can't trust you to go in that stand next to the Dolman. crazy.

I think the meeting went well and loads of positives.

Very brief summary from a EE point of view:

Restrictions will be eased [except for certain obvious matches]

Bring a friend returns

Transfers will be considered [possible charge]

Flags at the rear of the stand/ Megaphone return subject to a few assurances

900+ season tickets eastend sold.

I am getting questions fired at me elsewhere (facebook) about bring a friend

Quote:

The bring a friend scheme: will this be for the shitty matches to boost attendance such as Scunny, Barnsley, Norwich etc? Or will some bigger games be included?

????????

I am getting questions fired at me elsewhere (facebook) about bring a friend

Quote:

????????

I think this is one of the things to be clarified as the club think through the best way to roll it out.

I hope to get a write up of the meeting and actions published later today or first thing tomorrow.

I think this is one of the things to be clarified as the club think through the best way to roll it out.

I hope to get a write up of the meeting and actions published later today or first thing tomorrow.

I asked on forza eastend the question ''Can fans now buy tickets in advance and on the day without adult membership for Barnsley?''

reply is:

You have to be a an adult member to benefit from advance sales and POD. Membership costs £20 if you're not already a member, but then if all goes well, you can buy tickets in the EE for the vast majority of games next season, the exceptions being the more 'sensitive' games.

What if a city fan who has to work most weekends but gets a day off and has heard of the atmosphere and wants to sample it (with friends) that day but he is unsure to as it will cost £44, so he ends up away from his mate in the ground who invited to the game?

These are the reasons why we asked for bring a friend...

Archived