IGNORED

Tonight's Panorama

The Batman

There was a bit on SSN about finances and our beloved Prem is no longer the most profitable in the world. That honour goes to the Germans. They pointed out that tickets are much cheaper and the average crowd is 42,000 paying about £13!

Interestingly our clubs spend 67% of their income on wages whilst the Germans only pay out 51% of their takings.

not really City related but it's about Football Clubs in Debt.

This was really very good, despite around 70-80% of the programme focusing on "Brand United " (as they were reffered to on the programme), and not so much on the likes of Palace, Portsmouth and even Chester. I felt as though they could have made this an hour long programme, to be honest, as they gave out a lot of information very quickly, and I thought it was all pretty interesting (although if it had been an hour I imagine a lot of people would have slated the BBC, as it could have been a bit overkill - but like any football fan, I find any football related programme interesting).

The BBC has apparently seen mortgage documents that show that the Glazers have borrowed £388m ($570m) against shopping malls that they own, as well as £66m ($95m) against their NFL team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Glazers even had to sell one of their houses that backed on to a section of private beach, for a mere $24 million. And since their buy out of the football club, their other "football" club The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, have seen a 30% Increase in their own ticket prices to pay for Man U, who's ticket prices have also increased by a similar amount, since the American take over (Approx 33%). Not olny has David Gill said Man U have no money troubles, and insisted the Club is not for sale, but Bucs director of communications Jonathan Grella, responded to a BBC repoort that the Glazers debt hit £1.1bn. And of course, Bucks fans arn't too happy either.

The Panorma page has a full run down of the programme and the programme can be found on iPlayer

So, anyone who doesn't believe that Palace, Portsmouth, and Cardiff have had a very lucky escape recently, doesn't believe the English game isn't in a complete mess, and doesn't believe that other Premier League, and of course league clubs won't go in to administration, has their head completly burried in the sand (Take note FA & Premier League). Whilst we might have seen an English club in the Champions League final four years in a row, and whilst everone may believe that English clubs, which are debatably in the best league in the world, have ruled Europe for the past few years, I'm afraid that the domestic English rule is coming very much to an end. Whilst Chealsea might have the backing of a Russian billionaire (who isn't exactly sitting pretty himself, since the recession), I would be interested to see what sort of position they are ein once the current owner leaves, or 5 years down the line. Whilst the other "top teams" in the Premier League Arsenal and Liverpool arn't exactly dancing on ice either, you could say they are ery much in hot water, particularly the latter.

It's no suprise that Steven Gerrard was reported in a Spanish newspaper yesterday to be wanting to leave Liverpool, and the English game on the whole, to join Real Madrid. And whilst David Gill might be insisting that Wayne Rooney is not for sale, I don't think he's far of leaving the English game either.

The FA and Premier league must act now. Instead of just rebranding the 'Fit and Proper Persons Test' to the 'Director's Test' they should be concentrating on overhauling how exactly thids works. Did the FA know that the Glazers were going to borrow most of the money they needed to buy the club? Were they aware that the Glazers already had a substansial amount of debt? Did they have any idea the Glazers were already ruining another sports team across the pond? The bucks used to be a good team, and now they're turning into an average side, so Red Knights, I suggest you get back on your horses and attempt to buy the club again, otherwise your club will become very average... If your club manages to survive at all, that is...

Very worrying for the Premier League. Though I read somewhere that clubs in the Championship pay higher wages - as a percentage of total income - than the Prem. I'd guess our wages to income ratio is one of the highest. Completely unsustainable, but then if SL decided to sell Maynard to balance the books, there'd be a lot of complaints on here.

Germany should be the model to aim for, with their low(er) ticket prices and wages (and safe standing, but that's another discussion).

Spain, if anything, is in a worse situation than England, with Real and Barca negotiating their own tv contracts and making the league more uncompetitive than Scotland.

Archived