IGNORED

Finishing Position Next Season

Superjack

Speaking as somebody who dared to dream of Steve Coppell as our manager as soon as he left Reading (a long time before GJ left), my biggest worry for next season is the expectation of the supporters. Given that a lot of people see him as some sort of 'messiah', in what position will we have to finish to satisfy the majority?

We all rightly rejoice in Coppell's appointment, but IMO he will need at least next season to build his own team. If in this transitional period we finish lower in the table than this season, will the natives get restless?

I hope not.

With the above in mind, what is the lowest league position you would accept next season?

For what it's worth, as long as we don't go down and I see progress in the squad and our play I will be satisfied.

Of course I hope for more.

:rolleyes:

Given that we were well below our best for most of last season and we finished 10th, i am expecting at the very worst to finish 6th. Consider our astute new manager and some inevitable decent signings then i don't think it's an unreasonable task to finish at least 6th. Definitely not as strong a division as last season and teams like Forest and Leicester, who did well last season, i can see not doing nearly as well.

21st. Anything lower would be a bit disappointing I feel.

I agree with that. A season of transition.......

I think we'll finish around 6th, but I want to give Coppell at least a season before "demanding" promotion or anything.

Would be nice to have at least one season in the prem at ashton gate tho.

But for the coming season, I dont think there should be any pressure on the manager to acheive anything - he brings attacking football anyway, so that should keep a certain section of our supporters happy innocent06.gif

It has to be a top 6 finish this year, im sorry.

Getting into the play-offs is NOT the impossible dream some people seem to believe it is. We proved that a couple of years ago, and Burnely and Blackpool have proved it since.

Lansdown has bought in a QUALITY manager, and I expect him to be given the funds to bring in the QUALITY players he wants!

We MUST see progress this year, and the olny way to progress after the alst two years is to go for top 6

So, anything less then top 6 will be a major disappointment

Getting into the play-offs is NOT the impossible dream some people seem to believe it is. We proved that a couple of years ago, and Burnely and Blackpool have proved it since.

Lansdown has bought in a QUALITY manager, and I expect him to be given the funds to bring in the QUALITY players he wants!

We MUST see progress this year, and the olny way to progress after the alst two years is to go for top 6

Just because something is possible doesn't make it the minimum requirement. Nobody is saying we can't finish in the top 6 (at least I'm not), just that we're happy if it doesn't happen right away.

Coppell will be given money but he must also be given time. He didn't bring immediate success to Reading, indeed his first two finishes were outside the playoffs and below what Alan Pardew had achieved.

There are some good players at City but significant reinforcement is needed to mount a real challenge and that can only be done if the right players are available, regardless of who is manager and how much he has to spend.

I do expect City to finish top half but anything above relegation will do me just fine. Also, you state that "the only way to progress after the last two years is to go for top 6", but I'm not sure that's true. I think a lot of people would be happy with a side that finished in a similar position to Johnson's but looked better whilst doing it.

He's a quality manager, but working with a squad of players signed by the previous manager....

He's already said himself it will take a couple of years to build something.

Speaking as somebody who dared to dream of Steve Coppell as our manager as soon as he left Reading (a long time before GJ left), my biggest worry for next season is the expectation of the supporters. Given that a lot of people see him as some sort of 'messiah', in what position will we have to finish to satisfy the majority?

We all rightly rejoice in Coppell's appointment, but IMO he will need at least next season to build his own team. If in this transitional period we finish lower in the table than this season, will the natives get restless?

I hope not.

With the above in mind, what is the lowest league position you would accept next season?

For what it's worth, as long as we don't go down and I see progress in the squad and our play I will be satisfied.

SL im sure will want a top six finish,even SC has used the words promotion challenge to date.

SC will be on top money in the championship,SL will want to see a major improvement on this seasons performances.

THREE top quality signings,thin the wheat from the chaff and we are in with a shout.

SL im sure will want a top six finish,even SC has used the words promotion challenge to date.

SC will be on top money in the championship,SL will want to see a major improvement on this seasons performances.

THREE top quality signings,thin the wheat from the chaff and we are in with a shout.

I am sure SL would love a top six finish, as we all would, but I hope that he would be intelligent enough to not demand it of a manager in his first season who will be working with a largely inherited squad.

As for performances, there is no doubt in my mind that the quality of football will be an improvement on last season. As Millen's spell in charge proved, there are certain players that no longer had the desire to play for Johnson. I do not think that Coppell's management style lends itself to 'personality clashes'. I also think that even the biggest egos in the squad will be genuinely excited at the prospect of working under a manager with such credentials.

I would like to think (and I do) that barring a relegation battle, SL will be happy to see where the Coppell journey takes us next season.

We would need to do better than last season with a " better " manager.

That said, I dont want to finish 3rd-6th. The play offs are a ghastly extravaganza. The season is too long as it is, the play offs would just further drain the squad for the season ahead.

For me, its auto promotion, 1st or 2end, otherwise 7/8 th will do .

Not sure what to expect. It may not be such a strong League next season, but there will be 23 other Clubs with varying degrees of ambition, all doing their best to beat us. I suspect that we face a year of transition, looking at reducing losses, cutting back on the number of very ordinary players on our books, whilst strengthening in key areas. However, you just never know, and whilst a Top 6 finish is realistic, there is also that chance that things could go horribly wrong. I will just accept whatever happens, and renew my ST regardless of whether we are Premier League, Championship or Division One.

Expect nothing, that way you are never disappointed.

Am I the only one who would love to see Premeir League football at Ashton Gate before the move?

Let's see. High prices, games mucked around for Sky, loads of Billy Bandwagon supporters, vastly overpaid primal donnals, plenty of heavy defeats, patronising press coverage. Not that appealing really. We could do a Hull, survive, then blow loads of money on rubbish players so that you get relegation and financial straits in one go! Who needs a useless lump like Altadore when you can have Bas Savage for a fraction of the cost?

12th or above, playing attractive football.

The current group of players have shown that with the correct attitude they can match most teams on the day and finish top half but a change of manager and players might have a slightly detrimental effect on position.

On the other hand we could storm it..

BCAGFC

I hope not.

As im thinking we are an outside chance of the playoffs I think if we were to drop lower than 15th at any point after 5 games in to the season I think I would be disappoint. One thing that must have been learnt by us the supporters about this league is nothing should be taken for granted and if you start with overly high expectations then your just setting yourself up for a fall.

Archived