IGNORED

England - Was That Alan Walsh Last Night?

alanpayne

That marvellous cross by Milner for the Goal reminded me of City legend Alan Walsh in his hey day! Could it have been Alan in disguise?

What a great entertainer Walshy was! Anyone understand why he never played above the Third Tier of English football? Just plain unlucky would be my guess!

That marvellous cross by Milner for the Goal reminded me of City legend Alan Walsh in his hey day! Could it have been Alan in disguise?

What a great entertainer Walshy was! Anyone understand why he never played above the Third Tier of English football? Just plain unlucky would be my guess!

Ha I thought this was a thread about a City scouting trip!

Ha I thought this was a thread about a City scouting trip!

Same thought here as well??? I thought someone must have good eyesight, eyesight similar to Howard Webb's linesman this afternoon.............

Just one Cornetto give it to me...................

I will have extra parmesan on my pizza Guiseppe..................

HA HA

englandsmile4wf.gif

I idolised Walshy as a kid and Milner did look like he was trying to emulate our Alan out there yesterday! And it wasn't the top tier of English football, but don't forget that he was a bit of a star in Turkish football when he left City for Besiktas for a two year spell out there.

Not every day a Bristol City player is hitting the post in a League Cup semifinal.

Top man! :winner_third_h4h:

He did play in the Turkish top flight (for Besiktas) after leaving us.

Even now he'd still be stand more chance of scoring than Emile Heskey.

Dear Scrumpy-loving Babbies

Alan Walsh.

We are talking Sir Alan of Walsh?

I fully respect the right of people to free speech, but can we realy compare James Milner with Sir Alan Walsh, seriously?

We are talking about the most talented, exciting, skillfull, potent, and consistent winger in history, and comparing him with an England johnny-come-lately?

Someone with the ball skills of a Johan Cruyff, the footballing brain of (God Bless) Sir Bobby Robson, the eye for goal of Pele, and the sheer and utter ability to entertain of Paul Gascoine (n.b. at his absolute peak).

I seriously don't think Milner is in this league - not just yet. Give the lad time.......

Sitting in the Doleman, watching Walshy warming-up was like watching the great Casius Clay entering the ring for yet another completely commanding demonstartion of sporting greatness. This was worth the entrance money on its own. Then the match would begin, and Sir Alan would invariably destroy the opposition right-back with the same piece of skill. It may have been the same skill, it may even have been predictable, BUT COULD THEY DO ANYTHING TO STOP HIM. Of course not - a footballer like Sir Alan could not be stopped.

If Walshy was bored tormenting the right back (I expect it was actually proffessional courtesy to a fellow footballer - but the man is so humble, he would never admit to this), he would simple shoot from where he stood. And score.

The power and accuracy this man could produce, consistently, was unmatched. It was, in truth, unfair on the opposition keeper. I believe the FA (and a FIFA sub-committee) looked into this issue of Alan Walsh and unfairness on several occassions, but always found the fundamental rules of the game could not be changed.

What a player!

If James Milner is reading this, and wonders what all the fuss is about, I strongly recommend he visit the BCFS megastore website, and spend a few pounds on some City DVDs from the period. He could learn much.

It is a crying shame Sir Alan never got the chance to play at the highest level - WITH CITY. I believe then he would have come to the closer attention of the england manager, and could easily earned 50+ caps.

What was Englands loss truly was City's gain.

Sorry babbies - I've got to log-off, as I am filling up .....

Wurzel 'afternoon.

I hate to say I told you so......

It is now almost 6 o'clock, post England debarcle vs The Germans.

Now, if Lord Walsh of Bedminster had been available to Cappello ..........

I know, I KNOW, history is littered with 'what if's?'.............

:whistle2:

** DISCLAIMER: the above post in no-way indicates any excuse, or support of the tactics employes by the current England head coach**

Archived