IGNORED

A Chilling Reminder....

Mad Cyril

And..........."your going in the river" your going in the river":rofl2br:

I am sure I remember the chant ' We are EEEEEEE-VILLLL'.

I'm a knock kneed chicken

I'm a spring heeled hen (?? long time ago)

I ain't been so happy since I don't know when

I walk with a wiggle and I wiggle with a walk

Doing the East end boot walk

La la la la la la la la

Happy, happy days!

Guest Parson St Station

What a great thread.

Lets not forget the Star pub behind the open end..or wedlocks to our younger fans.

Battles in the Park, and who could forget the sight of a policemans helmet being passed around the EE after Leeds Utds (I think) boys were battered senseless by the EE crew. Single file they came in...single file they got knocked out.The sight of dozens of city boys sitting on the concrete wall above the turnstiles going 'theres another' and battering them still makes me smile.

Young un's have no idea what AG was like when the 'big boys' came to town! :englandsmile4wf:

F.A. Cup 4th round, January 27th 1990.

Grandstand Enclosure £4 - still got the yellow ticket in my wallet.yes.gif

I was in the enclosure that day too, recorded the game (was live on tv) and watched it again when I got home!

Was also at the Leeds game when they tried to take the EE :doh: , that must have been late 70's, I was sitting with a neighbour in the Dolman (I was just a wee boy)

Just out of interest, who many can remember the ground before the Dolman was built?

Little wooden stand.

We also had floodlight pylons around the edge of the pitch. I think they were sold to Corby Town when we got the four big ones in the corners.

I remember the first game under the new lights, lost at home to Wolves 1-0, late 60's I think.

Would much rather have that ground, shame all the "younger" fans have missed it all.

See this is what I hate, im 27 now and for me the game is completely sanitised compared to even what it was in the early 90's when I first went, the open end was still open, the eastend was standing and the enclosure was standing. At that age is was quite ignorant and well protected from what actually happened at football games, I'm really disappoint that I never got to go in the eastend until it was all seated and even then it was quite cool walking along the back listening to everyone inside singing what sounded like at the time "salami" which I figured out about 3 years later was actually "red army"!.

I'm really jealous of all of you lot that have these story's to tell because I don't seem to have any - there was the time against Cardiff when someone stood behind the police and called us all wa*kers and then nothing happened and oh do you remember the time when we went to wolves and there fans stood behind the police calling us wa*kers and nothing happened. While im sure this is for the benefit of football you guys talk about it with such fond memories that I feel like I have missed out.

When AG was 'bare', as in the video on the OP, it did seem very empty and lifeless, we often got to the ground early and it was almost completely empty when we walked in.

What a difference though once the crowds were inside and chanting! The chatter, the silence then the whistle and roar as the game started! It never was the same when they added the seats to the enclosure... then they kicked us out to let the sponsors sit down..... we moved to the back of the Ateo.

Bring back the days of crushing onto the terraces.... and being crushed when we scored! :sign09:

You could tell when we had a good gate because there was less turning room in your terrace space! ;)

Guest Parson St Station

See this is what I hate, im 27 now and for me the game is completely sanitised compared to even what it was in the early 90's when I first went, the open end was still open, the eastend was standing and the enclosure was standing. At that age is was quite ignorant and well protected from what actually happened at football games, I'm really disappoint that I never got to go in the eastend until it was all seated and even then it was quite cool walking along the back listening to everyone inside singing what sounded like at the time "salami" which I figured out about 3 years later was actually "red army"!.

I'm really jealous of all of you lot that have these story's to tell because I don't seem to have any - there was the time against Cardiff when someone stood behind the police and called us all wa*kers and then nothing happened and oh do you remember the time when we went to wolves and there fans stood behind the police calling us wa*kers and nothing happened. While im sure this is for the benefit of football you guys talk about it with such fond memories that I feel like I have missed out.

Trust me,it was always a laugh when we won any battles.

I got the shit kicked out of me at Swindle and a nice little shiner in the Tote end when we ran the gas in the late '70's.However the menace, the excitement and the adrenaline of going away in the bad old days to notorious grounds are still very precious memories. So Pezo, I hear you mate, sadly you did miss some great times.

I've commented on the City v Forest video before, but...............................

Why do the teams come out together now ( let alone all this ridiculous pre-match hand shaking)?dunno.gif

The cacophany of boos for the Forest team, followed by the massive roar when City came out are enough to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up even now.

You forget what an incredibly vibrant and exciting experience a big football match at AG was, even 20 years ago. no.gif

Cup game against chelsea - they had the whole of the open end, but of course we beat them - Turner nearly decapitating their keeper in the process.

As we filed out toward the park, chunks of terrace stone rained down on us from the open end beside the floodlight. I remember glancing up to see one cockney monkey trying to chew through one of the flood light power cables in some sort of speculative plan to electricute his enemy. Numpty.

Happy days.

I was a match day steward in the Openend that day. I remember City (Turner?) scoring in the 3rd min i think it was. I was surrounded buy Chelsea fans at the time & celebrated like never before untill i noticed all the Chelsea fans just stairing at me in pure anger :ranting: . I honestly thought i was going to get as kicking of a life time :crying: bare in mind there was just a narrow gang way metal railing between me & thousands of angry Chelsea fans either side of me . Then i just curled up untill the next goal came for City & i just clapped & said to the Chelsea fans unlucky guys i'm sure you'll turn this around. :whistle2: . How i got out of that alive i will never know. :D

I've commented on the City v Forest video before, but...............................

Why do the teams come out together now ( let alone all this ridiculous pre-match hand shaking)?dunno.gif

The cacophany of boos for the Forest team, followed by the massive roar when City came out are enough to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up even now.

You forget what an incredibly vibrant and exciting experience a big football match at AG was, even 20 years ago. no.gif

I was a mascot in 1991 and can remember coming out of the tunnel to that wall of noise - it was amazing! They changed it a couple years later so that everyone had to come out at the same time so there wouldn't be any booing which wouldn't be the best image for the TV cameras as they were looked to scale back the intimidating aggressive atmosphere and promote the current family friendly cant say boo to a goose atmosphere we current have - they succeeded. Its all about the spectacle of the big TV match now rather than having a good day.

I was a mascot in 1991 and can remember coming out of the tunnel to that wall of noise - it was amazing! They changed it a couple years later so that everyone had to come out at the same time so there wouldn't be any booing which wouldn't be the best image for the TV cameras as they were looked to scale back the intimidating aggressive atmosphere and promote the current family friendly cant say boo to a goose atmosphere we current have - they succeeded. Its all about the spectacle of the big TV match now rather than having a good day.

This so sums up the reasons and the benefits behind the rise of a club like FC United. "Don't like Glazer, don't like Sky...."

Getting back to old ways is so positive in many ways. Re-opening the East End being a particular success story in our recent biography.

"Don't like Glazer, don't like Sky...."

Cancelled my Sky Sports subscription today - just can't face watching English Premier League players who are more interested in their Sky-sponsored paypackets than national pride and a league administered for money-making rather than supporting and developing the national team.

I love reading through everyone's memories of the old days, and being just 18 I'd give anything just to experience one match from the 70's/80's. The farthest back I can really remember is the mid 90's and of course it had changed massively by then. There's something about an old-fashioned ground I've always loved, and even now I'd much rather visit a 'proper' football ground then these modern stadiums that all look the bloody same.

I love reading through everyone's memories of the old days, and being just 18 I'd give anything just to experience one match from the 70's/80's. The farthest back I can really remember is the mid 90's and of course it had changed massively by then. There's something about an old-fashioned ground I've always loved, and even now I'd much rather visit a 'proper' football ground then these modern stadiums that all look the bloody same.

Take solace in the fact that you are just 18 Phil! Some of us are waaaaayyyy past that!

It was a great time to be a City fan, although the early 80's weren't so great, but I would swap it to be 18 again!

Just out of interest, who many can remember the ground before the Dolman was built?

I had a season ticket for the Dolman first 2 years it was built, sure it was less than a fiver (can dig out the progs to find out) been back in there about twice since; remember the terracing before and the many flat dwellers packing their balconies while it was being built.

Also remember sitting on the benches around the inside of the ground, with nothing between us and the pitch.

East End was the place to be for me with excursions into the enclosure on rare games.

Used to go to all home and most away games back then, now all grounds are becoming the same :disapointed2se:

Foriegn imports are putting our game up to a false level and restricting much local talent reaching their local teams and it is affecting our national team by restricting available choice.

We seem determind to join the Chelseas/ Arsenals etc whos teams have little to nothing to do with the areas they are representing apart from the name.

It will be a sad day when we move i.m.o. and the corperate, pc, health and safety lot sanitise the game even more. Progress I suppose :disapointed2se: They can take us out of AG and the Eastend but they will never take them out of us. :no:

Archived