IGNORED

A Chilling Reminder....

Mad Cyril

Stumbled across this little video of our glorious ground some seasons back

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=2364825527288061579

Full of great memories and atmosphere as it was, it is quite shocking to see just how decrepid the surroundings were.

Which would you rather have, as it was, as it is, or as it will be?

Standing at the front of the Williams.

Wooden Seats in the Dolman.

A 300ft drop from the front of the Dolman.

The Park End.

Entering the East End from the other side.

Fences in front of Stands.

Floodlights on Stands.

Reasonably priced food and drink.

Reasonably priced tickets.

Players beind paid a modest wage.

Crap club shop.

Our little ground/club has changed massively since the 70s and 80s.

Yes, those were the days.....

Freezing nuts off in the Open end on a cold winters day.... (when I was a small kid with my Dad)

The huge drop that you could base jump into from the front of the Dolman....

The terraces (the enclosure) in front of the Williams stand... (when I'd moved up from the East End)

The East End with its Entrances where the away fans now go in (Away fans used to be on Dolman side of the Open End, or whole end if enough away support) and the sheite toilets, open to the sky (not so good when it was pissing down with rain) and the 'open gutter' style urinals.

The 'Muddy-field' style pitch with the 'beach effect' winter upgrade when it got too bad.

The spotlights on the huge corner pilons that gave the 'four-shadow' effect (didn't they go to Wigan when the new lights were installed?)

The changing rooms under the Williams Stand.....

Ah, memories :innocent06:

That was a great visit down memory lane, as people have said the openess of the ground, away fans in the open air (that didn't help their vocal support especially on a wet Tuesday night:dancing6: ) the East End full and standing in the enclosure in front of the Grand Stand (Williams as it is now) the only thing that video can't show is the atmosphere back in those days, more intense and in some respects friendlier oh the good old days. Trouble is it reminds me I'm getting older.

i,m just so glad i lived through that era, it was "proper" in those days and not the sanatised crap we have nowdays. Football in this country has become more and more like the American way, how long before we have hot dog salesman walking round ?, pom pom girls on the sidelines etc etc.

Give us back our terraces, give us back the real atmosphere.

i,m just so glad i lived through that era, it was "proper" in those days and not the sanatised crap we have nowdays. Football in this country has become more and more like the American way, how long before we have hot dog salesman walking round ?, pom pom girls on the sidelines etc etc.

Give us back our terraces, give us back the real atmosphere.

Don't forget the Rockin' Robins were from that era. To say nothing of the chimps' tea party.

That was the Ashton Gate of my youth. As many on here did, I went from the scoolboys enclosure to the East end then onto the Grandstand enclosure.

When you remember we had over 38000 for a home game with the ground like that, it certainly brings things home. It was a great atmosphere in those days with all 4 sides singing.

A few ciders in the ship and castle followed by a good old sing song during the match then a few more beers.

Great times and very happy memories. It's strange to think that in 2 years time it will be gone forever! :crying:

Thanks mate. Seen this before on Ziderheads, brings a tear to my eye. Would go back in a heart-beat.

Look at what has happened to our National team - the knock-on effect of the Premier league, TV money , all-seater stadiums etc.. ...............

That music really gets me.

Anyone know what it is?

I agree that the game generally is now much more sanitised with ever less to differentiate fans and clubs, BUT, lets not forget that City fans have something now that we certianly didn't have much of throughout the 80's and 90's - genuine hope and inspiration.

I like to think we'll all look back in another 20 years and remember "what SL did for us" the the excitement of a new era.

Ah, that little open area of the East End next to the slope where we came in.

Must have stood there for about 15 years, before and through the First Division days and the years of rapid decline when there was plenty of room.

Best place in the ground on a sunny day and a quick dash across the gangway into the covered area when it started raining.

Always remember the City 'reception committee' occasionally grouping there when an away fan incursion was expected and the rapid response when they were spotted filing in.

Heard of the old Crackers Corner in the open end but there were plenty of characters in that little section as well.

Who remembers the tuesday night game when we had a snow ball fight with Southampton in the Openend. Snow balls being thrown from Williams side (City fans) of Openend to Dolman side (Soton fans) of Openend.

It was the night David Rogers broke his leg & the sound of his bone craking could be heard all around the ground.

Ah, that little open area of the East End next to the slope where we came in.

Fantastic. As a young lad I used to love it as I caught the first glimpse of the inside of the stadium rising up that slope. The ground seemed huge to me then and the sweeping East End Terrace got the heart racing.

One thing I don't miss though is the hundreds of adults (when I was a kid) smoking around me as I had asthma. Occasionally I struggled to see the pitch properly so often climbed the fences for a better view.

Lots of things mentioned already that bring back some great memories, but one of my fav songs back then especially when I was a young lad in the east end was when it was raining and singing "your getting wet, your getting wet, we're not, we're not" to the open end.

"In the park, in the park, in the park".

Speaking to a Chelsea mate of mine the otherday, he's in his early forties now, he still asks me, is that park still there, outside your away end? "it was like a giant boxing ring, but safer than walking through the slums, back to the train station" he lives in the states and I promised him I would take him down the gate when he comes back to the uk, he's in for the shock of his life, the area is non recogniseable in comparison to 25 years ago, prime real estate, it's not just football that's changed, Bristol us now one of the most desireable and up and coming cities in the uk, crazy world.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but does anyone remember a guy who sat in the middle of the Dolman and when things went quiet would start shouting " BURISTOL ... BURISTOL" all on his own for a few minutes and you could hear him from all over.

I seem to remember he was featured in a programme and was from Hemel Hempstead.

Remember going up with my dad on tuesday nights, ( he allways had to work on sats,shop keeper). Seemed to be more night games then. Seeing the four light towers on as we come along Bedminster Downs ! Leaving the car up a side street and walking past the bus garage. looking over from the stand (williams} to the East End with all the BIG boys singing the song about a knock nied chicken and a bow legged hen.

:dancing2::chant6ez:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but does anyone remember a guy who sat in the middle of the Dolman and when things went quiet would start shouting " BURISTOL ... BURISTOL" all on his own for a few minutes and you could hear him from all over.

I seem to remember he was featured in a programme and was from Hemel Hempstead.

Tony Harling, but I remember him being in the Grandstand.

Cup game against chelsea - they had the whole of the open end, but of course we beat them - Turner nearly decapitating their keeper in the process.

As we filed out toward the park, chunks of terrace stone rained down on us from the open end beside the floodlight. I remember glancing up to see one cockney monkey trying to chew through one of the flood light power cables in some sort of speculative plan to electricute his enemy. Numpty.

Happy days.

I think I was at that game - late 70s? I got the crap kicked out of me in Bemi by a bunch of them. I wouldn't have minded too much but I'd just bought a fish and chip lot.

F.A. Cup 4th round, January 27th 1990.

Grandstand Enclosure £4 - still got the yellow ticket in my wallet.yes.gif

Lots of things mentioned already that bring back some great memories, but one of my fav songs back then especially when I was a young lad in the east end was when it was raining and singing "your getting wet, your getting wet, we're not, we're not" to the open end.

And..........."your going in the river" your going in the river":rofl2br:

Anyone remember the surges behind the EE goal when City scored?

A few Health & Safety issues granted, but great fun for a 10 yr old kid & his mates!

Even better when we were in the Muller rd end at Eastville, when we scored there it was just a mass of bodies at the bottom. It was like falling down a cliff:bounce:

Archived