IGNORED

Next Season's Midfield

Ryan 7

With Kalifa signing, I am wondering how he fits into the team. From my understanding he is a defensive player, so presumably he partners Skuse in the centre, none of them really possess any attacking flair. I read somewhere that Coppell likes 2 defensive cm's and two attacking wingers but I can't see that working. I am not critical of Coppell in any way, to me it sounds like a good signing I am just unsure to where he fits in and how it leaves the rest of the team and even formation?

Coppell was talking alot about players being versatile and not only playing in one position. Cisse also plays centre back - so maybe this was a hint from steve and he may intend on playing him at the back.

With Kalifa signing, I am wondering how he fits into the team. From my understanding he is a defensive player, so presumably he partners Skuse in the centre, none of them really possess any attacking flair. I read somewhere that Coppell likes 2 defensive cm's and two attacking wingers but I can't see that working. I am not critical of Coppell in any way, to me it sounds like a good signing I am just unsure to where he fits in and how it leaves the rest of the team and even formation?

tbh mate, Coppell is the man with several promotions to the top flight... If Steve's philosophy doesn't involve a luxury player like Noble or Hartley, then that's how we'll play.

Also, to use the term defensive is wrong, I think the term best used to describe Skuse, Marv and Kalifa is Box to Box... which isn't defensive at all really

I can't wait to see what he brings in down the flanks! and it'll be interesting to see exactly how we develop at the back... Central midfield however, looks pretty strong and athletic now!!

Good question.

How many teams in the World Cup are playing with two defensive central midfielders?

Good question.

How many teams in the World Cup are playing with two defensive central midfielders?

I'm with JT above, defensive is the wrong word and there are different types of "deep-lying" midfield player for want of a batter phrase. Is anybody suggesting Elliott and Skuse don't cross the half way line? But to answer your question, Brazil have done so since 1984 and most of the best sides in this World cup do the same. Indeed Argentina's downfall was partly down to only having one player in midfield at all against Germany. Maradona fantasised that just sticking five attacking players on the pitch was enough. Not these days it isn't.

I'm with JT above, defensive is the wrong word and there are different types of "deep-lying" midfield player for want of a batter phrase. Is anybody suggesting Elliott and Skuse don't cross the half way line? But to answer your question, Brazil have done so since 1984 and most of the best sides in this World cup do the same. Indeed Argentina's downfall was partly down to only having one player in midfield at all against Germany. Maradona fantasised that just sticking five attacking players on the pitch was enough. Not these days it isn't.

OK fair enough, I can see a Skuse, Cisse partnership then with probably JCR, and well the other side is up for grabs, he may go for JCR on the left and have competiting Adomah, Sproule and Haynes or play Adomah on the left. I still have a feeling he wants a left sided midfielder though so we'll have to see.

Elliott and Skuse are hardly offering anything in the offensive play. They should concentrate on what they are good at - tracking back. Concentrating on this they can allow a more gifted central midfielder - "holding" or not - room for some entertainment. Two donkeys in central midfield don't make anyone happy.

At least one of those two players are constructive offering something going forward. Both of them are hardly defensive central midfielders.

But they all play a short passing game, including the ones you describe as defensive. As I say, not an old fashioned playmaker in sight. Nor of course did Steve have any such player in his Reading side. Harper and Sidwell certainly don't fit the description. We'd better get used to it. Personally I have no problem with that at all.

At least one of those two players are constructive offering something going forward. Both of them are hardly defensive central midfielders.

I agree, but there main job is to hold when they have to, they insure that the more attacking players can try things. If they lose the ball theres always cover.

Personally, i wouldnt mind a formation like brazil play, 4 at the back, 2 defensive midfielders and then two wingers which play slightly higher up the pitch and a man just behind maynard, more attacking midfielder than centre foward and obviously a striker up top on his own. Its not like he would be alone up there as he would have to two wingers and the attacking midfielder.

Perhaps SC has a plan to mould either Skuse or Elliott into right back, tell Orr to do one.

Cisse driving the midfield along side a play maker. Job is a good un!

He could do as Marv has played right back before once for us and he played a couple of times for millwall including the fa cup final. Think i would prefer a natural right back to come in if Orr does go.

Personally, i wouldnt mind a formation like brazil play, 4 at the back, 2 defensive midfielders and then two wingers which play slightly higher up the pitch and a man just behind maynard, more attacking midfielder than centre foward and obviously a striker up top on his own. Its not like he would be alone up there as he would have to two wingers and the attacking midfielder.

Exactly my thoughts. The only question is whether Maynard can play up front on his own - he would still be the tip of the diamond regardless of the support from the flanks or from a player 'in the hole'...

Cisse sounds similar to Skuse and Elliott. I think the chances are we'll be playing 2 holding midfielders. Alternatively... someone's leaving.... Weren't Stoke after Skuse a while ago? Aren't we after Kitson of Stoke???

interesting point

it would be a shame to see one of our best homegrown players used as a makeweight in a deal for a gamble on a high earning player who is getting on a bit,and allegedly might be a bit of a troublemaker

Exactly my thoughts. The only question is whether Maynard can play up front on his own - he would still be the tip of the diamond regardless of the support from the flanks or from a player 'in the hole'...

i reckon he probably could providing the hole player got right up close to him, like Ozil does for germany

however from what readings fans say Coppel has apparently stuck religiously to a 442 for years so perhaps this will be unlikely anywyay

Archived