IGNORED

Gothia Cup

Ian M

• Admin

I see from the Player video on the main site that the U12s are in Sweden at the moment competing in the Gothia Cup.

As their first game was yesterday & I couldn't see anything about it on the homepage I did some digging and found that they won their opening game 5-0 against Linero IF to top their group after the opening game.

I'm sure you'll all like to join me in saying well done to the boys & good luck in their second group match this afternoon against IF Warta (who lost their opening game 0-2 against SC Borgfeld yesterday).

Come on you Reds!

(Class: Boys 12; League: Group 21)

I see from the Player video on the main site that the U12s are in Sweden at the moment competing in the Gothia Cup.

As their first game was yesterday & I couldn't see anything about it on the homepage I did some digging and found that they won their opening game 5-0 against Linero IF to top their group after the opening game.

I'm sure you'll all like to join me in saying well done to the boys & good luck in their second group match this afternoon against IF Warta (who lost their opening game 0-2 against SC Borgfeld yesterday).

Come on you Reds!

Just listening to the radio and a guy phoned up from Bristol yesterday about his lad, who's been turned down from our youth set up as his lad at 11 isn't physical enough. Now it's completely annecdotal and I have no idea how good the kid is and how bitter this bloke is, but he seemed reasonable and just frustrated with the reason he was given.

Listening to the player interviews of the youth guys on tour, they all mention as the thing they need to improve as their distribution and final ball,,, I dunno, our academy worries me.

Just listening to the radio and a guy phoned up from Bristol yesterday about his lad, who's been turned down from our youth set up as his lad at 11 isn't physical enough. Now it's completely annecdotal and I have no idea how good the kid is and how bitter this bloke is, but he seemed reasonable and just frustrated with the reason he was given.

Listening to the player interviews of the youth guys on tour, they all mention as the thing they need to improve as their distribution and final ball,,, I dunno, our academy worries me.

At different levels there are inches in difference between a good ball or a good cross, mainly because the quality of opposition is that much higher and the level of anticipation and reaction times are greater. Only those of the very highest talent make the step up with no difficulty and there will be inconsistencies in their performance. Malcolm Allison once said that the only consistent thing about kids is their inconsistency, but Managers, coaches and especially fans need to be patient when they get it wrong.

On the tournament.............. it looks HUGE, a lot of teams from all over the place! It always amazes me that one of the excuses that gets trotted out at international level is the lack of tournament football experience, but so many of our players must have gone through these type of events during their footballing upbringing. Good luck to our kids, Winning isn't important at this age, but we hope they will learn and develop.

• Admin

At different levels there are inches in difference between a good ball or a good cross, mainly because the quality of opposition is that much higher and the level of anticipation and reaction times are greater. Only those of the very highest talent make the step up with no difficulty and there will be inconsistencies in their performance. Malcolm Allison once said that the only consistent thing about kids is their inconsistency, but Managers, coaches and especially fans need to be patient when they get it wrong.

On the tournament.............. it looks HUGE, a lot of teams from all over the place! It always amazes me that one of the excuses that gets trotted out at international level is the lack of tournament football experience, but so many of our players must have gone through these type of events during their footballing upbringing. Good luck to our kids, Winning isn't important at this age, but we hope they will learn and develop.

Apparently this is the biggest tournament any of our youth representative sides have entered and the boys reckon they can win it (their coach appears to place less importance on winning it but would like them be amongst the last 20 or so teams).

Good start anyway.

Come on you Reds!

With the cost of booze over there, I'm guessing these 12 year olds are concentrating on their football - and what a result :-)

Apparently this is the biggest tournament any of our youth representative sides have entered and the boys reckon they can win it (their coach appears to place less importance on winning it but would like them be amongst the last 20 or so teams).

Good start anyway.

35 000 players in Gothenburg makes the organizer, prem club BK Häcken, a wealthy club.

This is slightly related, another local team playing in Gothia is Hartpury College (u18, group 27), they won their first game 4:1.

I actually emailed the BCFC Academy 3-4 months ago to suggest they look at Hartpury u18s as their is a number of players that may be good enough for our academy. Hartpury actually won the National cup at Ashton Gate in May also. One of the Hartpury players has now been scouted by MANCHESTER CITY!!!!.......Could Bristol City have missed out again, as this player is also currently playing for England School boys so has good ability, is attending a trial when he gets back from Gothia.

Barney....

Last weekend a fourteen year old who plays for City finished 2nd at the National Athletics Championship in Birmingham. He lost the 100m final by 0.01 seconds and has a PB of 11.2, not bad for a guy who was running at one of his first ever races! He is the 21st fastest U15 of all time, so if we could keep hold of him he could turn out to be a cracking player!

Did you see the highlights on player? The boys looked real class, carpet football, quick feet great movement. They were heads above the opposition. I know two of these lads, one is strong and very fast, the other is very fast but there isn't a lot to him. This is a high level to be at.

and there in a nut shell is everything wrong with british football

lord only knows what they would have said about a young messi - too small! track back! get stuck in! beef up!

and they wonder why england are completely outclassed on the international stage...

i don't blame the club, as they have to produce players who can compete in our physical leagues - a real case of catch 22

• Admin

Did you see the highlights on player? The boys looked real class, carpet football, quick feet great movement. They were heads above the opposition. I know two of these lads, one is strong and very fast, the other is very fast but there isn't a lot to him. This is a high level to be at.

I was impressed with how they continued to play good football on the deck even on that atrocious pitch!

I had a close friend who went through the academy for about 4 years. He was a very good player, but was picked partly as he was exceptionally tall, strong and fast from a young age. He was skillfull with the ball, but said at the academy that was coached out of him and he was taught to have one touch and pass, which is good in some cases, but teaching kids to play like robots at academy level, and picking the strongest and tallest kids from a young age is never going to create the English Messi. I know its been said before but a total revamp is needed across the board at academy with less focus on physicality and much more on skill and technical ability.

Heared that interview myself, Bobby Gould advised him to fly his lad to Barcelona's youth academy and even offered to foot the bill...top bloke !!

after watching those highlights, i urge everyone who has player to also have a look. i was SHOCKED at how GOOD the football was!

all week Talksport have been slating the state of english football, particularly at youth level (which i do agree with in principle) but after watching this I have to say that in the space of the 5 minutes of highlights, my outlook on the future has gone up considerably!

awesome football, all quick feet, on the ground, one-twos, skills and this is just Bristol City under 12's!? imagine chelsea and co! some of the goals that they didnt score would have unbelievable had they gone in!

This is slightly related, another local team playing in Gothia is Hartpury College (u18, group 27), they won their first game 4:1.

I actually emailed the BCFC Academy 3-4 months ago to suggest they look at Hartpury u18s as their is a number of players that may be good enough for our academy. Hartpury actually won the National cup at Ashton Gate in May also. One of the Hartpury players has now been scouted by MANCHESTER CITY!!!!.......Could Bristol City have missed out again, as this player is also currently playing for England School boys so has good ability, is attending a trial when he gets back from Gothia.

Barney....

One of the young un's I play cricket with scored a 'worldie' of a free kick for Hartpury that night, was released from Swindon a year or two ago for being too small. Now plying his trade at Shortwood, good little player. I take it that it's not him how's being scouted by Manchester City, I'll have to text him!

I know they've got a few Ghanians (I think) in their squad, and they can't talk highly enough of those lads, pure atheletes. Maybe they could be worth keeping an eye out for.

I have a son in the academy (in one of the older age groups, he has been there for several years) and I can assure you that City do not prioritise players according to their physical attributes.

Most of the players in his squad were small but were good players and the academy kept them and encouraged them to play good football.

Nearly all the teams that they have played have huge, athletic players, sometimes playing down an age (eg. an under 13 playing in the under 12's) and the philosophy at the academy has always the same, keep trying to play football.

It has been very refreshing that City have not gone down the route of signing "giant" players and I am sure that if the 11 year old lad was good enough they would have signed him on.

Heared that interview myself, Bobby Gould advised him to fly his lad to Barcelona's youth academy and even offered to foot the bill...top bloke !!

I am going to have a little bet that the words Bobby Gould and Top bloke have never been used in the same sentence before.............

I see that they won their final game 5-1 this morning and now play Olympia BK in a knock out match this evening.

Does anyone know what the format of the games is? e.g. 15 minutes each way and whether the pitch size changes as the kids get older?

Edit: Strangely enough Olympic BK (a swedish team) won their group too (W2 D1). You would think that the group winners would play the runners up from another group, World Cup style, wouldn't you?

• Admin

Thanks for clarifying that Ian....... I see that the games are 7 aside, but do you know any of the other rules regarding the games?

I believe if your team scores more than the opposing team you "win" :D

• Admin

:chant6ez: Very droll...............................

I meant is it 15 minutes each way and whether the pitch size changes for the younger players?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

It looks very much like "mini-Soccer" on the Player highlights so basically, 7-a-side, no offsides, rolling subs, smaller goals. The length of the halves can vary but I think I read somewhere that the Gothia Cup is 25mins each way but don't quote me on that.

I coach a U13 team in the States (started at U11). The Bristol City boys looked exceptionally good, and I would say better than the top-rated team in our club that has some US National Champions. What was really impressive was their ability to work together as a team, together with the speed of thought and passing - it was a joy to watch. I wish I could get my team doing that...!!!

I don't know if it's the same in Europe, but in the States there are two main levels - Recreation (Open to all) and Travel (Need to pass a trial). The U12's and below play on a smaller field, with smaller goals and balls and is usually 8 v 8. Offside comes in at U12. When they get to U13, they go up to a full-sized field, goals and balls with teams of 11 v 11 with rolling subs. Every player is guaranteed either a quarter or half a game and players start coming off the field when you get 5 goals ahead (mercy rule).

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

It looks very much like "mini-Soccer" on the Player highlights so basically, 7-a-side, no offsides, rolling subs, smaller goals. The length of the halves can vary but I think I read somewhere that the Gothia Cup is 25mins each way but don't quote me on that.

I coach a U13 team in the States (started at U11). The Bristol City boys looked exceptionally good, and I would say better than the top-rated team in our club that has some US National Champions. What was really impressive was their ability to work together as a team, together with the speed of thought and passing - it was a joy to watch. I wish I could get my team doing that...!!!

I don't know if it's the same in Europe, but in the States there are two main levels - Recreation (Open to all) and Travel (Need to pass a trial). The U12's and below play on a smaller field, with smaller goals and balls and is usually 8 v 8. Offside comes in at U12. When they get to U13, they go up to a full-sized field, goals and balls with teams of 11 v 11 with rolling subs. Every player is guaranteed either a quarter or half a game and players start coming off the field when you get 5 goals ahead (mercy rule).

thanks guys, very interesting

Oh and another 7-2 win, the boys are doing us proud///////////////

Archived