IGNORED

Another Loss

Alwaysdreaming

We may not get three points against Millwall, we may even lose, but the side needs rebuilding and coaching into a better way of playing if progress is to be made in the long term. This will inevitably affect results, so we're all gonna need to be a bit patient and not panic, and not get hysterical, although some will find it impossible.

A new manager with new tactics what does anyone expect. Personally as long as we stay up this season I don't really care where we finish. after all the best things in life are worth waiting for and in SL and SC we have the men to push us forward

We may not get three points against Millwall, we may even lose, but the side needs rebuilding and coaching into a better way of playing if progress is to be made in the long term. This will inevitably affect results, so we're all gonna need to be a bit patient and not panic, and not get hysterical, although some will find it impossible.

Millwall just lost to Stevenage recently!

It all means NOTHING!

im not worried by these poor performances at least it shows sc where we need to strengthen,rather than thrash these lower division clubs and not exposing any of the team weaknesses,at least by now sc should have some idea as what is required and hopefully he will bring in new blood to strengthen the team,sc has only managed the team for 3 weeks and it will take a few months maybe most of the season to turn the squad into a championship winning team paitence please .

Lets hope any new signings can settle in quick and not be too unfit. At a quick glance Stead has been involved in pre-season and even hit the net a few times. Bertrand also been involved for chelsea. Of course, at this point we don't even know for sure who's joining but I thought I'd check it out.

Just got back from the game (I live in Exeter). Not the best City performance I've ever witnessed but we should have had at least 3 or 4 goals. I lost count of how many times we hit the woodwork! We were particularly poor first half - every time we got the ball we would lump it up to Akinde who seemed completely lost for most of the game. Poor in the air and some very heavy touches (granted some of them inadvertently created chances). I'm not Clarkson's biggest fan but he looked fairly sharp in comparison to some of the players around him. Johnson was decent too. In the second half we had some much better spells. I can't emphasise enough the impact Albert had. He looked lighting quick at times and his control of the ball was fantastic. His final ball looked good too. Didn't see enough of Taylor to make my mind up about him but he did manage to put an unmarked header wide from about 6 yards that Marlon did well to put on a plate for him. Hmm. Overall pretty stale - a lot of the players didn't look comfortable in what they were doing but then that's to be expected I guess with recent departures and new arrivals. One thing that did stand out was the need to find a commanding central midfielder to replace Hartley and another striker to keep Akinde out of the team.

Noble looked class for them. Although I didn't have the best view of it his assist for the last goal looked incredible. If he stays fit he and Harley could be one of the best midfield pairings in the league (as I've said before - wouldn't mind seeing the latter back at City!)

I never take any notice of pre-season results whether they are god, bad or indifferent. Pre-season games are largely about getting fit and as close to full fitness as possible and nothing should be read into them. All the players want to avoid injury and that takes the edge of these games.

The meaningfull games start on the 7th August.

Just back from the game.

Wasn't brilliant but the biggest worry for me was that we were passed off the field for large stretches by the Exeter midfield. They had great movement. Noble looked really up for it (not surprising, I suppose) and along with Harley and their number 4, Dunne, they looked the better bet in the middle. We played too much front-to-back and while Clarkson and Akinde worked hard, a 57 year old Rob Edwards rarely looked too troubled.

Three defenders seemed frightened to tackle Nardiello as he ran at them. When a tackle went in, it was late and looked a stonewall pen from wher I was sat. Macca got skinned for the second goal by their winger Thompson and Harley's side-footed finish was very cool.

Second half and Albert made a bit difference. We hit the woodwork twice in 2 minutes befor a decent threaded ball was put away by big John.

Then the move of the match as Noble found space in the middle, sprayed a 40 yard pass with his left (!!) foot and Nardiello cut inside to score the best goal of the game.

We need more depth in the squad and much much more guile. To repeat, they out-passed us. We improved in the second half but the better team won. Not the end of the world but leaves me thinking that there will only be one City on display tonight that will be challenging for the play-offs come April - and they played in stripes. Really hope I'm proved wrong and am relying on Sir Steve to do so. C'mon you reds.

Well you look for the slightest glimmer of leadership, inspiration, passion and quality. A crumb of comfort, just something to latch on to ... not a big ask. That's 180 minutes I've watched with nothing.

So I'd take first team Skuse (midfield not a centre-back) and Maynard. Orr's gone who'd have been in there. Then Carey, Fonts and Jamie Mac, plus one of the keepers as squad players.

Don't bother with the grenades just get the H-Bomb out Stevie boy.

Just got back from the game (I live in Exeter). Not the best City performance I've ever witnessed but we should have had at least 3 or 4 goals. I lost count of how many times we hit the woodwork! We were particularly poor first half - every time we got the ball we would lump it up to Akinde who seemed completely lost for most of the game. Poor in the air and some very heavy touches (granted some of them inadvertently created chances). I'm not Clarkson's biggest fan but he looked fairly sharp in comparison to some of the players around him. Johnson was decent too. In the second half we had some much better spells. I can't emphasise enough the impact Albert had. He looked lighting quick at times and his control of the ball was fantastic. His final ball looked good too. Didn't see enough of Taylor to make my mind up about him but he did manage to put an unmarked header wide from about 6 yards that Marlon did well to put on a plate for him. Hmm. Overall pretty stale - a lot of the players didn't look comfortable in what they were doing but then that's to be expected I guess with recent departures and new arrivals. One thing that did stand out was the need to find a commanding central midfielder to replace Hartley and another striker to keep Akinde out of the team.

Noble looked class for them. Although I didn't have the best view of it his assist for the last goal looked incredible. If he stays fit he and Harley could be one of the best midfield pairings in the league (as I've said before - wouldn't mind seeing the latter back at City!)

Akinde doesn't worry me here it's the fact you say every time we lumped it sounds like last season, yet I know pre season and will have a few more signings in but can't blame akinde taking all the pressure if the ball is always aimed at him. think getting our central midfielder's playing together is crucial I think it's possibly going to be skuse with elliot/Johnson but then again Copell did say he likes to traditional 4-4-2 if he has the personnel but think if we have better quality in central midfield than upfront may be tempted to play three central midfielder's and one up top.

Also went, very few postives for me in fact I think only Albert and some of Clarkson's ball control, ok and the odd run by young Jackson.

Defence looked all at sea especialy McAlister and Nytanga, midfield well pathetic really Noble and Harley comfortably passed around LJ, Elliott and Williams who were equally bad in my opinion. Upfront Akinde looked a league two player while the service from the wings and Campbell Ryce was non existant....in fact what system were we playing.... I don't think I ever totally worked it out.

Its true we were unlucky to hit the woodwork several times and for a 15 min spell early 2nd half we did ok and showed a bit of passion, but the rest was a bit of mess to be honest.

I take heart from the players out and signings on the way, but this proves Copps has a lot of work to do, not only to the starting eleven but the squad too.....I'd be rubbing my hands if I was a Millwall scout.

in fact what system were we playing.... I don't think I ever totally worked it out.

Just back from the game. Despite what it says on the OS we were 3-5-2 throughout. Must admit I was quite surprised to see us line up like that. The three CMs played zonally, Elliott, Johnson, Williams from right to left. For me I would have preferred Elliott (a shadow of his former self) and Johnson playing in front of the back three, with our most creative CM, Williams, pushed further forward to make it more of a 3-4-1-2. Williams, I thought, showed touches of class in the first half but faded in the second.

There were far more negatives than positives from our performance, but I'm sure that SC has had opinions about the squad reinforced.

Positives:

Very impressed with Adomah second half, first time I've seen him play. Fingers crossed but we may have unearthed a gem. I would think he'd be able to play LM too from what I saw tonight.

Henderson looked confident, despite conceding three.

Liked the kit.

Cisse did ok, and could form a strong pairing with Skuse if played as a DM duo.

Negatives:

This is mostly going over old ground.

Game highlighted how desparately we need a commanding CB.

Can't believe how poor Nyatanga was in the first half, before being taken off. SC surely didn't instruct him to lump every ball forward, mostly straight through to the keeper.

We ain't gonna score many in the CCC with a strike force of Clarkson and Akinde. Clarkson was even huffing and puffing in the warm-up.

McAllister is over the hill. Has some nice touches and can drop his shoulder with the best of them, but his pass selection is at times bizarre and, let's face it, he's going to struggle for pace against the best wingers in the CCC.

The trialist is not up to the job up front. Well not on that cameo performance anyway.

Strangely enough not too depressed with that, despite losing. It's just up to SC now to replace the guys that are not up to CCC standard.

Archived