IGNORED

So Excited

Pezo

David James is still the best goalkeeper in England, Joe Hart isn't far behind.

He will bring experience to our defence and I bet we don;t see Louis Carey slagging off James the way he did with Gerken most of the last season.

Great signing and could make the difference, all we need now is a LB, a strong striker and possibly another ball winning centre half.

BCAGFC

<br />This isn't the same as Bridges.<br /><br />He wasn't at his best for years before we got him, James just played for England!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

England that we were all to happy to slag off less than a month ago as being a team of no hoppers. I know this is a different level and it is a great signing, its so wonderful to have the England number one playing for us but he is a championship player and we shouldn't be putting him up on a pedestal as some kind of demigod when he has proved nothing for us so far.

I guess what I'm trying to say is while I will celebrate today, pride comes before a fall.

<br /><br /><br />

England that we were all to happy to slag off less than a month ago as being a team of no hoppers. I know this is a different level and it is a great signing, its so wonderful to have the England number one playing for us but he is a championship player and we shouldn't be putting him up on a pedestal as some kind of demigod when he has proved nothing for us so far.

I guess what I'm trying to say is while I will celebrate today, pride comes before a fall.

We were slagging england off, but it wasnt James who was responsible for it, after the Green mistake I was praying that james would go back in. It was the rest of the idiots who were responsible for us being so poor - Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard and Terry are supposed to be the big names but they blew it. As for "calamity" james, well I havent seen any mistakes of any magnitude for years from him, he has obviously gained experience over time, and the mistakes are very rare now. Still he is only human, so if he did drop one in his own net, you would have to accept it given the number of saves he will make next season.

<br /><br /><br />

Green made a horrendous mistake but made some good saves after, James did himself no wrong when he played. Truth is they were both let down by the other 10 on the pitch. As far as putting him on a pedestal that won`t be neccessary.....he`s still sat on it as far as i`m concerned.

PDG

The James signing is a bit different to Bridges and Stewart, yes they were decent players, but nowhere near the calibre of James. He also has an excellent fitness record, and has kept himself in remarkable shape to keep going past his 40th birthday. He is also going to add a lot more than just playing ability, just having him around the club will doubtless benefit Gerks, Henderson and our defenders, whilst also having an impact on any other new signings that we have lined up. I also see James going on to become a coach here in the future, we know he had ambitions to do so at Pompey, and can't see that changing here.

There is a risk that people could get over-excited, but can't see the signing of a goalkeeper influencing expectations in the same way that signing a major striker could. I think this signing is far more likely to have a longer term benefit to the club and can see DJ being around the club for a while yet.

For me, there's still a long way to go to get our squad ready and the signings of Stewart, and particularly Hunt, could have more of an impact on our performances next season. I like the look of the way our defence is shaping up, a new left-back would be the cherry on top, unless SC sees Fonts or Nyatanga as a viable option.

Fonts------Cisse------Stewart-----Hunt

--------------------James

Looks a decent back five to me, with Carey, Nyatanga, Ribs and McAllister as back up. Can't be bad.

Still need a partner for Maynard and possibly a left sided midfielder. Harley and Scotland would do me nicely, with Bertrand on loan if I'm being greedy.

I was trying to think if I have ever felt this excited by signings

It has to be on a par with Norman Hunter.

Hunter was also coming to the end of his career, although more successful domesticly he too was a regular international and household name. Hunter was an excellent signing and briefly extended our top flight stay.

I'm sure James will be as busy as Hunter was and just as fantastic, however short his stay :city:.

It has to be on a par with Norman Hunter.

Hunter was also coming to the end of his career, although more successful domesticly he too was a regular international and household name. Hunter was an excellent signing and briefly extended our top flight stay.

I'm sure James will be as busy as Hunter was and just as fantastic, however short his stay :city:.

Yes That Man! That was the last signing of this calibre...And what a great signing he was.....Do you remember the goal he got in front of the East End against LEEDS...Awesome

Yes That Man! That was the last signing of this calibre...And what a great signing he was.....Do you remember the goal he got in front of the East End against LEEDS...Awesome

I do remember him thundering in a free kick against Newcastle in a deluge and just standing there with one arm in the air in celebration.

But the main thing about Hunter was the steel and belief he gave us, hopefully something that james can do.

I'm 44 and sat on my own watching the news giggling to myself seeing James down The Gate in his City kit :rofl2br::rofl2br: :rofl2br: .

Archived