IGNORED

Stadium Looking More And More Likely

EmersonsKev

I have a much more positive feeling about this than i did two weeks ago, i think we will get our stadium in the end, but would have loved to see the groundworkers there now.

Well Rome was'nt built in a day as they say.

Anyone have anymore news about the village green thing?

Sainsburys will appeal and win. Then the pathetic councillors can say they tried to stop it but were over ruled. That way they keep there good relationships with Ferguson and the stadium gets built.

I hope they enjoy there last couple of years as councillors because they'll never be voted in again.

We have a wealthy local man trying to invest millions in south Bristol to give the city something to be proud of and take it forewards and the ***** have said no thanks despite qualified officers who spent months going through it all saying it should be approved. Its an outrage really and I hope every right minded voter remembers this at the next elections.

Sainsburys will appeal and win. Then the pathetic councillors can say they tried to stop it but were over ruled. That way they keep there good relationships with Ferguson and the stadium gets built.

We have a wealthy local man trying to invest millions in south Bristol to give the city something to be proud of and take it forewards and the ***** have said no thanks despite qualified officers who spent months going through it all saying it should be approved. Its an outrage really and I hope every right minded voter remembers this at the next elections.

Well said.

It was truly pathetic and ill-judged for them to turn it down in the first place. All they have achieved is to delay the whole process by at least 9 months. Shame the emoticon with the chef flipping a pancake is no longer available. It would have been perfect.

Well said.

It was truly pathetic and ill-judged for them to turn it down in the first place. All they have achieved is to delay the whole process by at least 9 months. Shame the emoticon with the chef flipping a pancake is no longer available. It would have been perfect.

I live in South Glos, so it won't make a difference to my tax, but IF I lived in Bristol I'd be well and truly annoyed that the councillors has cost me money based on a "save face" decision rather than a law abiding decision.

First off it's expenses and now it's pointless appeal's, they should be held accountable.

People say about the investment SL is making for South Bristol, the NIMBY's turn on anyone from outside BS3 if they supporrt the plans and this annoys me. Yes Sainsbury's will cater for Ashton Bedminster and Long Ashton but the Stadium will benefit ALL of Bristol even those of a Gas persuasion if we attract huge International bands and singers and should an arena also get built alongside our new home then the music loving inhabitants of the Greater Bristol area as well as those from Gloucesteshire and Somerset will have the chance to see bands solo artists and commedians that, at present, give the area a wide berth due to the small capacity of our concert venues such as the Hippodrome and the Colston Hall. This issue isn't just a South Bristol issue but affects the whole of the city as well as several other Counties. Rant over

People say about the investment SL is making for South Bristol, the NIMBY's turn on anyone from outside BS3 if they supporrt the plans and this annoys me. Yes Sainsbury's will cater for Ashton Bedminster and Long Ashton but the Stadium will benefit ALL of Bristol even those of a Gas persuasion if we attract huge International bands and singers and should an arena also get built alongside our new home then the music loving inhabitants of the Greater Bristol area as well as those from Gloucesteshire and Somerset will have the chance to see bands solo artists and commedians that, at present, give the area a wide berth due to the small capacity of our concert venues such as the Hippodrome and the Colston Hall. This issue isn't just a South Bristol issue but affects the whole of the city as well as several other Counties. Rant over

The daft thing about this whole issue is ( i may be wrong but I dont think I am) that the vast majority of people do want this (maybe even some gas) as they can see what a huge benefit this would be to our city outside of it just being the BCFC ground. This is what makes it even more madening that these councilors were not speaking for the greater good or majority but more the cool minority. I personally believe the council has a problem with Lord Lansdown as that stupid woman (Janke was it) said in her newspaper comment afterwards

submitting to the will of the football club and its wealthy chairman

that sounds like bitterness towards our chairman to me

I want more details on how £20m+ towards a £90m project was considered insignificant by councillors.

I think what they are saying is the club will raise money out of the sale of AG (£5m to £15m depending on who you listen to) then they look at Steve Lansdowns ranking in the Sunday Times Rich List and forget that most of his wealth is tied up in Hargreaves Lansdown so he is only worth that amount on paper until he sells up.

I think what they are saying is the club will raise money out of the sale of AG (£5m to £15m depending on who you listen to) then they look at Steve Lansdowns ranking in the Sunday Times Rich List and forget that most of his wealth is tied up in Hargreaves Lansdown so he is only worth that amount on paper until he sells up.

yeah. The minutes said they had taken legal advice and thats why they decided it was insignificant. i have seen no details of this legal advice but if it says "Lansdowns rich, he can pay for it himself" then thats ridiculous. He is 1 shareholder among 3000 and the club would be paying him back for years to come - beyond his lifetime and his sons lifetime I imagine.

maybe I should take 20% of my council tax and put in a letter saying I didnt consider it significant.

I want more details on how £20m+ towards a £90m project was considered insignificant by councillors.

Judging by what Steve said yesterday, we can still build a stadium without the sale but not the planned one. It will have to be more bog-standard and more significantly we would not be in a position to expand it to 40k capacity. So down goes the World Cup bid. In effect they are saying that Steve should pay the additional cost himself. So at one and the same time they abuse him then expect him to be their benefactor. No doubt if we got the World Cup they would try to bask in reflected glory. I have more contempt for them with each passing day. :ranting:

Mr Orr said: "The fundamental point is that councillors normally disagree with planning officers on grounds of policy, but this time they have chosen to differ on matters of professional engineering and highway discipline, which is very precise and mathematical."The applicants (Sainsbury's), the council's consultants and highway officers are all agreed that this has been done properly and Sainsbury's is putting forward very substantial amounts by way of mitigation.

"This makes the council's job of defending the refusal extremely difficult."

Hmmm....

Call me an old cynic but do I detect the sound of palms being greased? I can't help but think that someone's going to come out of this with a nice retirement villa on the Costa Brava. "Methinks the Coucil doth protest too much"

He said the company had "bent over backwards" to do what it could to reduce this dependency and one of the ways to achieve this was by taking a "sensible approach" to providing less than the maximum car parking spaces (745 spaces instead of 918) it could have accommodated but more than the minimum cycle spaces (64) required.

Seems to me that the council is extremely naive to think big shoppers will come in their droves in anything other than a car. So why on earth restrict the car park size?.. just storing up a an overflow problem sooner rather than later. You'll have cars packing the streets. How short sighted can they be?

Archived