IGNORED

Maynard Out For A Month!

Dolman Block B

Just when things started to take shape, we hear the news that our top striker is out for a month and may need surgery.

Our fire power really aint up to much without him, and it surely means a loan/perm new striker in place asap.

Your thoughts?

Link.....

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/City-striker-Maynard-month/article-2488330-detail/article.html

My thoughts: Positive- should mean any bids for him will at least be deffered until January, by which time he may have fallen off the radar some what.

Negatives- our current strikeforce is not god enough to score the goals that Nicky produced, how exactly do you replace the leagues top scorer in 3 days/1 month, it won't come cheap. I think we need to bring in two up top, a target man and a fox in the box, this season is defo work in progress.

Good luck Nicky, get fit soon.

Maybe, however I think we as a whole put too much pressure on Nicky, it's a team game and maybe it's time that someone else stepped up to the plate and proved themselves, Nickys absence could see the emmergence of Clarkson as our leading striker (for now) or the young lad Adomah may hit the ground running scoring for fun from the wing ala Super Scott.

Lets say he is out till mid september that means he should miss:

Saturday, 7 August 2010 v Millwall (H)Tuesday, 10 August 2010 v Southend (A)Saturday, 14 August 2010 v Doncaster (A)Saturday, 21 August 2010 v Barnsley (H)(Carling Cup round 2)Saturday, 28 August 2010 v Ipswich (A)Saturday, 11 September 2010 v S****horpe (A)Tuesday, 14 September 2010 v Watford (H)

fingerscrossed.gif that Clarky and whoever we play upfront alongside him can cope with these teams.

Disappointing, but it's a chance for Clarkson et al to shine. Takes some of the pressure off Nicky also. Should be given time to get fully fit before returning. But we need another striker...

It only takes the pressure off him if other step up and score some goals! I think Clarkson could do well if used in the right way, but from what i've heard Adomah has been a threat in pre-season and Sproule looks an improved threat. I think the collective should be able to bridge the goal-scoring gap

It's not just him though is it (although I fear that he could be out for a long time)...

Carey

Hunt

Cisse

Nyatanga

Ribeiro

Wilson

Haynes

I've probably missed one or two out, but most of those (Haynes excepted) are out for weeks/months and it gives us a big problem - others will get injured and we'll be screwed. This is the time when numbers are just as important as bringing in quality.

We need at least another 6 players to come in - some as short term cover, others to improve the squad.

Poor old Coppell has had a hell of an introduction to life at BCFC - the high of signing the likes of James and the lows of just about being able to field a team on saturday.

Robs is back in full training shortly, cisse and haynes should only be out for another week or so and Lewis could be bakc any day so not quite as bad as the current (extremely long) injury list would suggest

I don't think it's the end of the world. I'm confident Adomah will be able fill Nicky's shoes for the time being if that's where he's chosen to play alongside Clarkson. Got a cheeky feeling the former is going to put on a show this Sat. Saying that though, I agree completely that we need another striker ASAP but time is running out.

Really bad news as far as the playing side goes.

Nicky Maynard has had no pre-season whatsoever and we saw last season with Clarkson that it makes a huge difference.

At least he will go off the radar transfer wise though but it does worry me that it could be at least 8 weeks before he is ready for a 1st team start.

BCAGFC

Really bad news as far as the playing side goes.

Nicky Maynard has had no pre-season whatsoever and we saw last season with Clarkson that it makes a huge difference.

Agree..........with no pre season and a month off injured (Aug/sep) we may not see him start to find the form of last year until Nov / Dec time..........a big hit in the old ollocks as per the OP

Just hope that the strikers left to fill the boots can step up to the plate because they did not look like they could last season when asked to........but then again that was under GJ so maybe SC can make a difference to them

Archived