IGNORED

A Difference Of Opinion

Markman

Is it possible to have a difference of opinion on here without being slagged off?

The New Stadium - as a true and loyal City Supporter I am not sure it will be in our best interests - I remain unconvinced and worry that it could possibly kill us if things go wrong.

Many on here are fervant supporters of the New Stadium and see it as essential - fair enough you may be right

But if you don't subscribe to the view that this must happen (like me) does it make you less of a supporter or simply that you have a different opinion - as such we can all live with our different views?

I ask as a few threads on here start getting full of angst if you happen not to fully support the new stadium?

I get what you're saying mate, but it's all the money you can make from a new stadium nowadays that makes it pretty much essential.

Leaving the Gate will be a massive wrench, every single one of us has grown up there, but if we don't make the change then I'm sure SL can't see how we can move the club along.

Wasn't it SC saying the other week about the clubs that have had new grounds, Stoke, Bolton, Boro, Wigan, Derby - all got PL football shortly after. I'm sure there's just as many who haven't, but you get his point.

Progress I guess.....

One of the things I like most about forums is that you should be able to gauge the opinion of the majority. Unfortunately, you cannot do this if the minority get crucified. What's the point of a forum if this is the case? We may as well be in 1941 Berlin.

I love Ashton Gate and the older I get the more I find myself opposed to change.

I am however pro the new stadium for the obvious reasons. It really is the only way forward.

Nonetheless, in the context of this forum, I welcome your opposing viewpoint.

It also makes your club more attractive to potential signings and also gives a couple of extra thousand fans per game.

Thanks all so far, positive and sensible replies - I guess as a bit of an oldie the point made by funky monkey is the one that worries me. I was around last time we reached the promised land - and then it did go belly up and our "fans" - well 60% or more of them drifted away - just cos we have a new stadium win't mean we will fill it - but if the other financial enterprises continue to pay for a fall in crowds (should it happen) then makes sense

You're more than welcome to your opinion... But I think you are wrong. :whistle2:

The increased matchday and most imprortantly, non-matchday, revenue streams that a new stadium would bring in are absolutely essential for this club. If we stay at Ashton Gate we will continue to lose money every single season. If we are going to get anywhere near being profitable, we need this stadium.

I sympathise, as a relative oldie myself there is nothing i would like more than to remain at the Gate. However, and someone can correct me if i`m wrong, i can`t see how we can even maintain ourselves in this League at AG let alone should we make the Premier League. The game has changed massively since my days on the EE, or the open end on the odd occasion, unless you are extremely fortunate then succcess comes at a price and there is no guarantee of a return on your income.

Yes there are concerns and worries but without ambition, and SL`s generosity, we might as well forget it and return to the days of 3/4 tier football, and i`m more than aware that there is a minority of fans who would be quite happy with that if it meant guaranteeing the clubs survival.........but surely thats not what it`s all about is it ? I`m sure most of us have played sport at some level and i`m sure we all wanted to be better than we were, to compete at a higher level than we were at....the difference being we didn`t have to contend with the massive finances involved in running a proffessional football club with ambition. The only thing i can take comfort in is the man controlling those purse strings. He knows his stuff and i`m sure he wouldn`t make decisions he wasn`t entirely comfortable with or not entirely aware of the risks, not just with his own money but with the future of the club.

Wiser men than me have stated that for City to have any hope of continuing this upsurge of fortunes then the move is neccessary and i`ll bow to their judgement.

PDG

I was also around last time we reached the promised land & the gate have given me some of my best, proudest moments watching football, but we must progress & provided we dont do any thing daft like last time with the long term contracts & what with the parasuit payments we would receive then a new bouncing City ground full of passion is a must

Archived