IGNORED

Coppell Without Downes Is Like Clough Without Taylor

headhunter

I have posted on here before about the fact that Wally Downes has been Coppell's right hand man for most of his 20+ years in management.

Like Clough & Taylor, Coppell & Downes style compliment each other - one thoughful & considered the other with a more outgoing personality.

Seeing Millen & Coppell on the touchline today, the former was there hadn on chin in thought, occasionally making notes on his pad whilst Coppell was for the most part leaning against the dugour a la Danny Wilson.

Coppell is not a track suit manager - ask any fan of Reading and they will confirm that Downes did all his bidding on the training field and on the touchline on matchday [and whilst we are about it Hammond as Director of Football did a lot of the transfer stuff].

Our defence was a shambles today and that has to be down to Millen. Keith earned the right to at least keep a role of some sort for what he did at the end of last season but if we are in the bottom third by the end of the month and out of the Carling Cup don't be surprised if Coppell's most important signing is Downes [currently a coach at Soton..

As far as the game today it was as bad as anything we have seen since & including the Cardiff defeat. The damage done by the manner of the loss is financial - I reckon between 3 and 4 thousand fans paid on the day because of the James factor - I doubt if any saw an on field performace that would make them come to the next home game vs. Barnsley.

Guest Old East End Skinhead

Last year on this forum I said that "Stato" Millen the Clipboard was part of the problem. He needs to go....I think Peterboro could be the place for you.

In the meantime - Message to Millen: Chuck the effing yuppie laptop in the bin and get your boots muddy on the training ground.

Message to Coppell: Get someone like Wally Downes to help you asap and sign-up some skillful, creative battlers. Nuff said.

We were pi55 poor today, however it's one bloody game, we have some of our most influential players out and Volkes can be added to that list.

The worrying thing for me was that we created nothing, I'd like us to sign a creative middleman and another striker, Marlon Jacksons not championship standard and Clarkson looks unfit still.

Its how we lose the games, Millwall laughed at us today!

Reading laughed at us when they beat us 4-1, we laughed at Coventry when we beat them 3-0 on two occassions,. One game doesn't mean anything 9/10 times, if we win against Doncaster it'll all be happy families again.

Archived