IGNORED

We Need A Creative Midfielder

Wilksi

Now call me old fashioned and yes I realise that he left because his good lady preferred haggis to Clarks pies but I thought we had such a player in Harts, so why didnt we just try a tad harder to keep him????

But the real gist of my thread is just HOW LONG is SL going to be prepared to bank roll SC's spending???

I agree that SL should have lent Hartley a private jet or something (:laugh:) or surely they could have done something for another season - I personally do not see Gavin Williams coming anywhere close to this.

It is definitely a gamble isn't it, we want promotion but also want the club to be run sensibly and also want to spend spend spend; crazy crazy football! :bruce_h4h:

If a player wants to go then there is rarely anything anyone can do to change there mind.

I don't think there was anything sl or sc could of done to change his mind, I just think that we should of replaced him. We have had all of pre season to do so as well. His replacement should of been one of the high priorities

Spot on Wilksi. The reason we were so poor today is ALL our midfielders were totally over run. Millwall sussed us out, and their midfield totally bossed the game. The defence was subsequently regularly over run, and our admittedly poor strikers were made worse by an utter lack of decent ball forward. all we seemed to do is hoof it up almost every time

Agreed just hope coppell can pull something off this week.

Noble was a fantastic player and Gav gets treated like crap, i agree with most of the comments made. We have to spend money on a experienced attacking midfielder that can break down defences so we get GOALS!!!

Noble is undoubtedly gifted but if his demise was entirely down to the evil GJ and not a consequence of his own lack of professionalism can you explain why he is at Exeter now and was floundering at Boston before we took him on? Indeed I never got an answer to this very question from the person who long ago claimed on here that he would walk into most Championship sides, an opinion apparently not shared by any Championship Manager. Though they may all of course all be as evil as Gary. :innocent06:

Both teams set up as 451/4411 but Elliott & Skuse were completely outnumbered for some strange reason. Millwall don us tactically yesterday, which is surprising, thought Coppello could have sorted that out early.

BCAGFC

You can have the best tactical brain in the world put if you haven't got the players to put in to practice what you preach then your in trouble

IMO we have a creative midfielder in Gavin Williams, someone who can get them selves into little pockets of space in between the oppositions formation and get on the ball.Have the confidence to receive the ball when closely marked and in such circumstances to keep possesion of the ball. He has an eye for that "Killer" pass. But as often with these players,they can be sometimes frustrating at times.Ive seen a few friendlies and for me he has been one of the better players,constantly wanting the ball and making us tick.IMO he should of played ahead of JCR yesterday along side Elliott and Skuse in a midfield 3 that gives him the license to do the things he is good at.Far too often we concentrate on what players cant do rather than what they can do.His injuries have obviously not helped his circumstances during his city career so far,but if fit i think we have a real player that could make the difference we crave for.But with regards to yesterdays game,imo Millwall wanted it more and worked harder for it and for this there are no excuses.People often talk about working hard when you have not got the ball, but i feel you have to work harder when you havent got tthe ball.Ball retention is so important during the game,something we stuggled to do yesterday.Which brings me to my point on yesterdays game,the movement wasnt there and there were too many touches of the ball when we did have possesion.Creative players can only be creative if there is movement around them to create with.No matter who played yesterday,they would of struggled to create without that movement.Signs of movement did improve for me when Jackson came on, looking to play on the shoulders of defenders and then sometimes going short.But at that stage it was all too late unfortunately.So yes we need a creative player in the team but hard work comes first before the creativty can begin.

You can have the best tactical brain in the world put if you haven't got the players to put in to practice what you preach then your in trouble

I was very impressed with Lisbie (No.22) yesterday, very disciplined performance and Liam Trotter was outstanding for them.

We shouldn't have been outnumbered in central midfield because we had JCR, Elliott & Skuse centrally, think Millwalls wide players helped out much more than ours did (Sproule was useless as usual) and they always had the option of playing a ball up into space for a mobile Morrison who was far better than our lone striker (Clarkson) on the day.

A very, very long way to go, we need players in ASAP.

BCAGFC

I think we should have begged Hartley to stay for a few games until a replacement had been found and/or our injury problems had cleared up. If we dont get that elusive creative midfielder then we may struggle to stay above the relegation zone this season. Hopefully things will improve when the likes of Carey and Maynard return to full ftiness, but yesterday showed once again that our defence is clueless without Carey...

I was very impressed with Lisbie (No.22) yesterday, very disciplined performance and Liam Trotter was outstanding for them.

We shouldn't have been outnumbered in central midfield because we had JCR, Elliott & Skuse centrally, think Millwalls wide players helped out much more than ours did (Sproule was useless as usual) and they always had the option of playing a ball up into space for a mobile Morrison who was far better than our lone striker (Clarkson) on the day.

A very, very long way to go, we need players in ASAP.

BCAGFC

agreed! i think clarkson was a expensive gary johnson mistake!

Hopefully things will improve when the likes of Carey and Maynard return to full ftiness, but yesterday showed once again that our defence is clueless without Carey...

Unfortunately our defence was at it's most clueless last season i.e. Cardiff, Doncaster, when Carey WAS playing.noexpression.gif

Spot on Wilksi. The reason we were so poor today is ALL our midfielders were totally over run. Millwall sussed us out, and their midfield totally bossed the game. The defence was subsequently regularly over run, and our admittedly poor strikers were made worse by an utter lack of decent ball forward. all we seemed to do is hoof it up almost every time

Totally agree. Defence starts in the middle. We did not have a middle so were over run. End of story.

Archived