IGNORED

David Clarkson And Jamie Mcallister

Modestant

Clarkson looked heavy, and uninterested yesterday. Fair to say he didn't get the best service, but the strikers who cut it at this level make something out nothing. A moment of class. He just doesn't have that, and for a player who was supposedly looking better in pre-season, he failed to impress again yesterday.

As for McAllister. Got turned inside out at left back, never looked comfortable and only ever lashes long balls hopefully down the left wing. Again, I just don't think that he cuts it at this level. Even his set-piece delivery was off the boil yesterday, and that is not what we need. Trying backheels and flashy skills when we are 2-0 down is not the hard-grafting attitude that we need.

I agree with most that it is not panic stations - we do have a lot of players out. But for me, these two really don't seem to be able to step it up, and the others need to prove that they can step up later in the season when we have similar injury problems - which is fairly likely.

We didn't play to Clarkson's strengths yesterday, he is no target man and cannot play upfront on his own. When Vokes came on, things started to look better but I just don't think Clarkson is up to the job.

McAllister was poor yesterday (as were most of the team) and need replacing.

BCAGFC

The problem with Clarky is he has always been a second striker... he needs a big man upfront to play off to get the most goals. During his time at the 'Well he was playing behind Sutton and would pick off his knockdown's, this was probably gonna happen when vokesy came on but seein as he got injured it never happened :(

As for Macca this was his first proffesional game since when? Give him time to get back into it, i'm sure he'll have a talking to in training to try and pass it more rather than hoof

When we were playing against ten men and Millwall packed their defence I thought Clarkson was the only player to show imagination in his movement. Several times he came short and was in a lot of space, occasionally he got given the ball but had no runners to feed. Too often Elliott and Skuse played a poor pass (surprise, surprise) even when he was in space and all in all it didn't work for him yesterday. It reminded me a bit of how Gary Johnson got Phil Jevons chasing everything around the park, it just wasn't his game and Clarky tried a little too hard in that respect yesterday I feel. He looked a lot more comfortable as part of a two up front and I think in a team playing to his strengths we would see a very good player, however I just can't see him getting that here.

McAllister appears to have a sweet left foot but his clearances from defences are awful, either wayward when trying to pass or scuffed to the opposition when trying to clear. In my opinion he tries too hard to be cute and badly flatters to deceive. Cannot believe he'll be perceived as good enough for much longer if we want to progress defensively.

Clarkson looked heavy, and uninterested yesterday. Fair to say he didn't get the best service, but the strikers who cut it at this level make something out nothing. A moment of class. He just doesn't have that, and for a player who was supposedly looking better in pre-season, he failed to impress again yesterday.

As for McAllister. Got turned inside out at left back, never looked comfortable and only ever lashes long balls hopefully down the left wing. Again, I just don't think that he cuts it at this level. Even his set-piece delivery was off the boil yesterday, and that is not what we need. Trying backheels and flashy skills when we are 2-0 down is not the hard-grafting attitude that we need.

I agree with most that it is not panic stations - we do have a lot of players out. But for me, these two really don't seem to be able to step it up, and the others need to prove that they can step up later in the season when we have similar injury problems - which is fairly likely.

Add to that , Ivan Sproule. I have it on very good authority that Steve Coppell does not rate any of the players that GJ left behind.

I agree with this. I don't think either of them are good enough at this level. Also, I'm probably being overly harsh but I thought injured or not, Nicky Hunt was REALLY slow and struggled to get the ball under control a few times. I have to say I was expecting a little more from him seeing as only a few years ago he was being tipped for England.

I agree with this. I don't think either of them are good enough at this level. Also, I'm probably being overly harsh but I thought injured or not, Nicky Hunt was REALLY slow and struggled to get the ball under control a few times. I have to say I was expecting a little more from him seeing as only a few years ago he was being tipped for England.

Hunt wasn't fit yesterday, that was proved by the move that led to their 2nd goal. Trouble is we didn;t have many options defensively yesterday.

We need a couple of loans players in ASAP.

BCAGFC

agree with your observation on hunt, i was disappointed in his performance, looked uncomfortable quite a few times but with a few more games hopefully we will see him a bit sharper

I have defended Clarkson many times but no more, I don't think he's fit, I just don't think he's up yo it at this level, as for McAllister............

Hunt wasn't fit, got caught pulling his socks up and not apying attention for first goal, for such a tall lad he can't jump!

More to come from him, let's get him fully fit.

Clarkson was terrible yesterday and even though I think when in and around the box he can be a decent player, he is just far too weak. He is dispossessed easily and always loses out to defenders in a battle of strength. I've tried to be positive about him in recent weeks but he does seem very slow and weak, almost lethargic at times. Against Blackpool I was thinking the same until suddenly he played a world class pass through to Ivan and then finished well just moments later. It seems he has good technique and awareness but physically he is nowhere near up to scratch imo.

Add to that , Ivan Sproule. I have it on very good authority that Steve Coppell does not rate any of the players that GJ left behind.

Who's authority? Are you telling me SC does not rate Maynard?

Do we think there is a big difference between GJ type players and SC type players then?

Well it's easy to say that isn't it, Coppell can't buy a whole new squad and i have to say Ivan played a better performance than Clarkson did, he probably had more chances than Clarkson pushing up and he was on the wing.

Totally agree, clarkson was crap.

agree with your observation on hunt, i was disappointed in his performance, looked uncomfortable quite a few times but with a few more games hopefully we will see him a bit sharper

in hunts defence he is a centre back not a right back

sproule played some of the best balls in that hes ever played on sat

and iv never rated clarckson at this level

and macca will have an amazing game in the next few weeks and he will slip under the carpet

in hunts defence he is a centre back not a right back

sproule played some of the best balls in that hes ever played on sat

and iv never rated clarckson at this level

and macca will have an amazing game in the next few weeks and he will slip under the carpet

How long has he been a centre-back? Whilst out on loan? I'm 100% sure that he was the first choice right-back at Bolton at the height of his career for more than a season.

cant see how anyone can get on clarkson's back. He was isolated the whole game.

The biggest problem saturday was our midfield.

I think the general consensus is that he's been dire in the majority of games since we signed him. I agree he shouldn't be criticised too much on Saturday's performance and I think you're right in saying that the midfield was poor. We just couldn't compete with them physically and were so lacking in ideas I doubt we'd have created anything if we'd played all night.

I think the general consensus is that he's been dire in the majority of games since we signed him. I agree he shouldn't be criticised too much on Saturday's performance and I think you're right in saying that the midfield was poor. We just couldn't compete with them physically and were so lacking in ideas I doubt we'd have created anything if we'd played all night.

I dont think he's been dire. I think he has been unlucky and played in dire teams when he has been picked.

Looks like an intelligent player to me. Give him a chance, he's hardly played for us yet.

Its difficult to know best to utilise Clarkson. He doesn't look like he's best as an out and out striker and he doesn't have the pace or stature to play as a target man. That said he does have an eye for goal and is a cool finisher. He can also pick a pass.

Maybe he'd be best just behind the front two as a link player.

To critise him based on last season is very harsh. He was ill with a virus for ages, lost loads of weight and didn't really regain full fitness and even now doesn't look 100%.

I think he's a clever player who could play a big part if Coppell can work out his best position.

As for McAllister - I've never rated him and still don't. The only positive thing about his game is that he is no longer hoofing aimless 5o yard balls up the pitch.

Its difficult to know best to utilise Clarkson. He doesn't look like he's best as an out and out striker and he doesn't have the pace or stature to play as a target man. That said he does have an eye for goal and is a cool finisher. He can also pick a pass.

Maybe he'd be best just behind the front two as a link player.

To critise him based on last season is very harsh. He was ill with a virus for ages, lost loads of weight and didn't really regain full fitness and even now doesn't look 100%.

I think he's a clever player who could play a big part if Coppell can work out his best position.

As for McAllister - I've never rated him and still don't. The only positive thing about his game is that he is no longer hoofing aimless 5o yard balls up the pitch.

bloody hell.... I agree with all of that.

Didn't Coppell look at signing Skuse a couple of seasons ago? And go on about how good he is in pre-season? So he must rate at least one player that GJ left behind

Clarkson inparticular stood out as particularly bad for me on Saturday. He had nothing about him that made me even slightly positive about improvement. He's played a lot of games in preseason due to Haynes/Maynards absence and hoped that might give him some confidence coming into a new season but he looked scared. I didn't understand how he doesn't seem to know what jumping is either. His feet barely left the ground.

McAllister seemed to drift into the middle of defence too much and left who he should have been marking a number of times. Once inparticular where James made a brilliant save in the second half.

Two positions I really wish we could improve at.

Archived