IGNORED

Rip Adam Stansfield

RedTauntonian

• Admin

A mate of mine that supports Exeter emailed me saying :

I was absolutely gutted when I heard the news this morning. Stanno wasn't just someone who happened to play for City, he was the club's most popular player as well as a genuinely nice guy (when he scored against his former club Yeovil last season, he did not celebrate his goal and was applauded by the Yeovil fans. He is also still held in very high regard at Hereford). I feel desperately sorry for his wife and young family.

My best ever experience at a football match was when we beat Oxford United on penalties at the Kassam Stadium in the 2007 Blue Square play-off semi-final after losing the first leg 1-0. Stanno got the second goal to level the scores on aggregate in front of the 1,000 City away fans and I'll never forget the big grin on his face when he ran over to celebrate pointing at the name on the back of his shirt (I was in the front row going mental!).

We knew he was not well and it was obvious that one or two people in the know had got wind of the worst when I was following the Carling Cup game on the internet yesterday evening. Terrible news.

Archived