IGNORED

Sproule Up Front?

Superjack

We have three wingers in the team and nothing up front.

People have rightly criticised Sproule for his delivery / final ball.

He seems to have found his shooting boots though.

So, given that he is still the fastest player in the Championship, would it not make sense to have Adomah and JCR on the wings and put Ivan up front??

Of course, he's no Maynard, but who else do we have?

I know some on here like Clarkson. I personally think that he is at best an average SPL striker and in an ideal world with everyone fit should not even be anywhere near the team, but if he is to play he HAS to have someone up front with him.

I would rather have Clarkson on the bench, with Akinde and Ivan up front.

Wos' reckon then?

:read:

Unfortunately I think Sproule has played up front before under Johnson and failed to make an impact.

Best to play players in their correct positions i.e. Sproule on the wing and someone like Akinde up front.

I think its a golden rule to ALWAYS play players in their correct positions.

Unfortunately I think Sproule has played up front before under Johnson and failed to make an impact.

Best to play players in their correct positions i.e. Sproule on the wing and someone like Akinde up front.

Yes, your memory is correct Sid. However, beggars can't be choosers.

Q. Who do we have up top?

A. Akinde and Clarkson.

We need to play two up front and Clarkson IMO (A) isn't good enough and (B) would not work well with Akinde.

Some will doubtless defend Clarkson and say that he is a better option than Akinde.

I say they are wrong, but regardless I don't think Clarkson AND Akinde will work.

We have the fastest player in the division and two other players that are comfortable on either wing.

When Ivan played up front for GJ he was not in goalscoring form (which he seems to be right now, albeit in only a few games). Our team now is different to GJ's, maybe he will do better this time if we use him properly up front.

Given the available personnel, I think it is the best option.

Then again, I wanted Coppell as manager!

:blush:

Man, with all are injuries its hard to keep track on who's fit to play... guess you would only know that now by being present on the training pitch.

I would go with a 4 - 5 - 1 and try to swamp the middle, so no would keep sproule on the wing and throw Akinde upfront.

Guest Old East End Skinhead

Millen has consulted his stats and pie-charts to get the answer.... James and Gerkin start up front.

Akinde in goal.

Atyeo dropped.

This thread shows clearly why we are not shortlisted for manager vacancies. Sproule up front? Great idea, then we can punt high balls int the penalty area and make him jump! Sorry, friends but i fear a lost cause.

Yer, Banjo, Barn door, or is it cow's ar5e... :tumbleweed:

Even crazier - let's just get some basic solid players and play them in their right positions and to their strengths.. could that work? :surrender:

This thread shows clearly why we are not shortlisted for manager vacancies. Sproule up front? Great idea, then we can punt high balls int the penalty area and make him jump! Sorry, friends but i fear a lost cause.

Shows why YOU are not shortlisted for the managers vacancy Fatman!!

Did I say "put Sproule up front and punt long balls to him?". I don't believe I did. Whoever you have up top, you need the team to play to their strengths, this would apply to the likes of Maynard as much as anyone else. :disapointed2se:

you seem to have missed out a certain Mr Styvar. . .

Yes..

...I did...

...deliberately.

If things are that bad then I will meet you all at the suspension bridge tomorrow.

:sunwon:

I would go with a 4 - 5 - 1 and try to swamp the middle, so no would keep sproule on the wing and throw Akinde upfront.

Personally I think this would be the best bet. We should go defensive as we have conceded 6 goals in two games and try and nick a win.

I can understand peoples desire to play Sproule upfront but the guy really can't do it upfront. I have to confess I don't really rate Sproule that highly even as a winger. His positional sense is criminal on the wing sometimes.

Personally I think this would be the best bet. We should go defensive as we have conceded 6 goals in two games and try and nick a win.

I can understand peoples desire to play Sproule upfront but the guy really can't do it upfront. I have to confess I don't really rate Sproule that highly even as a winger. His positional sense is criminal on the wing sometimes.

As wingers I could never understand Sproule or McIndoe, they would get to the by-line, lose all confidence and then come backwards and lose it - whether under instruction because supposedly it would leave gaps behind (dunno, sure that was a reason I read here) or......This was when we had Adebola in the middle not Clarkson who even McCombe could stop all day long....! all that pace gone wasted.... frustrating. Who knows.... think I would prefer to see Jackson. :surrender:

I'd play Ivan up front away from home.

Teams always are more gung-ho at us at their ground, he is the classic counter attack man.

Once he knocks the ball past the defender on the counter, you either bring him down or the keeper has to come out because very very few defenders will catch him from a standing start.

One thing it does is create panic - which is always a good thing.

Yes, panic among city fans that we're not going to score :P

hahahaha

I know what you mean, but he does cause panic amongst their defenders for the rest of the game.

So he may not score in the first break but being someone who plays at the back on a sunday myself, it's one of those "Fk me how quick is this bloke" conversations that breaks out afterwards and we have one less opposition player going up front to attack us.

By your rationale Bradley Orr would have played out his career for us as a poor central midfielder as opposed to a good full back. I am not necessarily for or against the debate but sometimes players have a new lease of life when moving position. I refer to James Millner for a good example of a wide man who has made an excellent transition to a central midfielder.

With our current injury crisis I would see little harm in playing Sproule through the middle, on the proviso however that he plays someone who can hold the ball up, a luxury we don't have. Akinde is simply not good enough at this level. People are bluffed into 'giving him a go' because she shows a committment to workrate and endeavour, which is no bad thing, but he simply does not have the quality to exploit defences and no natural goalscoring ability.

Employing Sproule up top would mean changing the formation from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 and we have been terrible when using that sysytem for the last year or so.

Archived