IGNORED

Kalifa Cisse

gazza1982

as above poster said, can't be too far away. who would he slot in for at the moment though? Marv?

Assume Cisse will initially be an option from the bench if Marv is having an off day. The latter is quite likely - I witnessed his injury at Home Park two seasons ago and I don't think he's been the same player since - less inclined to put his body on the line than in his first season. And he doesn't seem able to shoot, or find the goal with a header any more (hope I'm proved wrong Saturday mind).

From the fans' perspective I would say Marv is still riding the crest of the wave that rose in the play-off season, but unfortunately, that wave has hit the shore and he needs to be looking to get his game going again.

I don't know much about Cisse apart from the screamer he scored against us at the Gate a couple of seasons back. Initially thought that's great if it's the sort of thing we can expect fairly regularly, but then heard him say it's the best goal he's ever scored, so I guess we can'y expect too many of those then. However, a creative midfielder is by definition, not an out and out goal scorer, so let's wait and see what he can offer. SC may not be perfect (cough), but he does have an eye for a decent player.

Assume Cisse will initially be an option from the bench if Marv is having an off day. The latter is quite likely - I witnessed his injury at Home Park two seasons ago and I don't think he's been the same player since - less inclined to put his body on the line than in his first season. And he doesn't seem able to shoot, or find the goal with a header any more (hope I'm proved wrong Saturday mind).

From the fans' perspective I would say Marv is still riding the crest of the wave that rose in the play-off season, but unfortunately, that wave has hit the shore and he needs to be looking to get his game going again.

I don't know much about Cisse apart from the screamer he scored against us at the Gate a couple of seasons back. Initially thought that's great if it's the sort of thing we can expect fairly regularly, but then heard him say it's the best goal he's ever scored, so I guess we can'y expect too many of those then. However, a creative midfielder is by definition, not an out and out goal scorer, so let's wait and see what he can offer. SC may not be perfect (cough), but he does have an eye for a decent player.

Agree about Elliott, he is a shadow of the player he was at the moment and See him fighting it out with cisse for the second dm position if that's the way we are going to play this season (4231). I think cisse is very much a sit there and break the play up option which is very important IMO for someone to do the donkey work and become the unsung hero infront of the defence, like Claude makalalie for Chelsea a couple of years ago.

With regards to the 4231, I seems to be the popular way of setting up and if the right striker, left winger and ball player in behind the striker are brought in then I'm all for it. Flat back four with two infront protecting, breaking up play and hopefully keeping the ball moving, ball player infront linking up play, feeding off the main striker and creating oppotunities, and two pacey wingers supplying, scoring supporting def and attack, simples.

Don't be expecting Cisse to be a "playmaker" type midfielder.

He's a big athletic unit, can play a bit but breaks up play and protects the back four essentially.

Having watched him a fair bit at Reading I actually think he's a Premier League standard centre back but a Championship midfielder.

I know a big Reading fan and he said that Cisse is a good player, who is very versatile. He reckons that he will prove to be a good signing for us and he also said they could do with him now. It will be great to get him fit either to replace Marvin, inspire Marvin to raise his game, make a central 3 when needed or cover at centre back.

Archived