IGNORED

A Whole New Concept...

James

Ive just been watching the interview live on SSN with Dave Jones and a very interesting idea has just occured to me due to some of the questions being asked...

Basically the interviewer mentioned the fact that many sources were suggesting that Man City were still footing the bill for the entirety of Bellamy's wages to which Jones simply replied "Man City have been very helpfull to us in this deal"

The interviewer then wen't on to mention the fact that Viera was unlikely to feature in Man City's 25 man squad and asked Jones how he would feel if a player of Patrick's quality was to go on loan to another rival Championship club and for it to emerge that the Championship club in question was not actually paying anything for the privilege...

This idea all came together with the statement "its been suggested that Craig has been allowed to come to you so he is not able to benefit (Manchester) City's premierleague rivals"

This is when it dawned on me (bear with me as its becoming quite difficult to get this idea down into wordds)

A team in Manchester City's position where they literally have UNLIMITED FUNDS, are able to pay in excess of 200k p/w for individuals wage demands etc and have probably one of the best squads (on paper) in the world. However they now have the issue of having to name a 25 man squad for each competition therefore meaning they are left with x amount of players all guzzling up hundreds of thousands of £ a week but it doesnt matter to them (because of their owners financial position).

With these players they can do one of a couple of things -

1. keep them rotting in the reserves untill they hopefully quit thus getting them off the wage bill.

2. hope that another club comes along willing to pay the ridiculous wage demands now expected by that player (highly unlikely)

3. Send them out on loan with an agreement to pay a % of the before mentioned ridiculous wage bill HOWEVER it would appear that Man City (and its owners) are so focussed and desparate to reach that envied 4th place in the premierleague that it would rather entice clubs from another league (ie. the championship) to take the presently unrequired players on loans whilst remaining to pay the players full wages (if not close to it) to ensure that both the player (they are still recieving their disgusting amounts of money p/w) and the club (who recieve a world class player for nothing) are happy.

In summary of all this we could be looking at a situation where many of City's star's (aswell as other clubs who share this view) who are going to be unrequired come the handing in of the 25man squad lists, are allowed to play on loan for the season at (for example.) championship clubs so that they are unable to assist any potential rivals whilst remaining match fit etc.?

Kind of a crazy idea I know and I hope I managed ot get it down into words to a reasonable level but this seems ot have been the case this afternoon so why not in the future...?

thoughts?

Good points. Many Scottish fans claim the the Old Firm have for years bought players from other SPL clubs and not played them so as to weaken the opposition for instance, though they cannot afford to do that any more I suspect.. Robbie Savage said last night that Bellamy had an offer form a club who might finish above Man City; no chance of him going there as you say.

There's the prospect of the championship becoming Premier League II by default in a short space of time given the 25 man and home player rules - effectively a reserve league.

Someone mentioned on another thread that GJ once said that if we don't get to the the Premier League soon, it will come to us - he was right.

Spot on.

There's the prospect of the championship becoming Premier League II by default in a short space of time given the 25 man and home player rules - effectively a reserve league.

Someone mentioned on another thread that GJ once said that if we don't get to the the Premier League soon, it will come to us - he was right.

This will only be a problem for the next year or two as the current Prem players contracts come up for renewal at clubs.

I am in favour of the 25 man named squad and suggested this on the forum early last year.

The next move, in my opinion, is to get rid of the mid season transfer window and only allow a player to play for one team in a competition each season, with transfer fees to be paid on the nail.

The Champions League and cup competitions have it ,so why not all the football leagues

This would mean managers have to actually "manage" and not just attempt to buy there way out of trouble.

Eventually players wage expectations would become more realistic through the normal supply and demand as there would only be about 150 opportunities within the top six clubs.

I do wonder if the Bellamy loan is the first sign of unforeseen results of the 25man squad.

Man City get to keep his registration, but also ensure that he does not play for a club that is in direct competition with them. This just becomes another way of the top clubs hoarding players. The loan system was never meant for players like Bellamy. The F.A. may have make a rule that loans can only be used for players under 25. That way if a player in his prime gets an offer from one of the top clubs he is going to have to make a decision as to whether he is going to get a game or not. At the moment if he's not playing he just goes out on loan. That combined with the size of squad rule might dampen down wage demands.

The other rule that is needed is that agents can only be paid by the player they represent, and not take fees from clubs for doing deals.

Been going this way with english players filtering down because they cant get a prem game

Been going this way with english players filtering down because they cant get a prem game

Yeh, but as the players are effectively tied to the parent club under this system it does

create more of a reserve league.

All I heard on SSN was that Man City were stumping up the wage bill (Jones doesnt concur)

and that Bellamy could not go to another Prem club.

Mental really.. :disapointed2se:

Yeh, but as the players are effectively tied to the parent club under this system it does

create more of a reserve league.

All I heard on SSN was that Man City were stumping up the wage bill (Jones doesnt concur)

and that Bellamy could not go to another Prem club.

Mental really.. :disapointed2se:

Thats what I think most are wary of (apart from the likes of Man City et al)

Spiring I should think.

Not a regular in our first team at the time.

It was indeed Peter Spiring. Gary Collier went to Coventry on a freedom of contract move. That led to the club panicking and awarding long contracts to players which in turn led to the crisis of '82.:disapointed2se:

Archived