IGNORED

Louis Carey Interview - Interesting Comment On Coppell's Departure

bcfcnick

Louis usually does a good interview on Player and the latest one was no exception. In his response to Adam Baker's question "Were you surprised when Coppell left?" Louis replied words to the effect that no he wasn't surprised at all and that when SC wasn't at the start of a training session Christian Ribeiro said to LC 'the manager's resigned then." He's usually on the ball so I'm surprised Adam didn't ask the obvious follow-up:- "why weren't you surprised?" Perhaps he didn't want to dig too deep.

I suspect the lack of surprise was Coppell's 'world on his shoulders' manner but, there again, I would have thought that everyone, including the players, would just put that down to 'well, that's the way he is.' Louis also said that whilst SC didn't speak a lot when he did speak it was worth listening to and, in general, he seemed to have quite a positive opinion of Coppell and certainly respected him. It's history now but I'm just intrigued why Ribs thought SC had gone before any official news and why LC wasn't in the least bit surprised.

It's history now but I'm just intrigued why Ribs thought SC had gone before any official news and why LC wasn't in the least bit surprised.

Probably just had a feeling that all was not well with Coppell in the previous few days. Carey wasn't at all surprised which supports that some players could see that Coppell was not himself.

But as you say - its history and I'mpressed that Millen is doing an almost daily interview fo World.

Probably just had a feeling that all was not well with Coppell in the previous few days. Carey wasn't at all surprised which supports that some players could see that Coppell was not himself.

It does appear that quickly after starting the job, a number of people found his demeanour to be very down and a man who kept his own council, people at the time that it was just his personality however obviously he's just a man whose lost his love for football.

It does appear that quickly after starting the job, a number of people found his demeanour to be very down and a man who kept his own council, people at the time that it was just his personality however obviously he's just a man whose lost his love for football.

Don't entirely buy it. More like as pre-season wore on and things got from bad to worse in terms of injuries, results and a failure to bring in some of the players he wanted...he bottled it. Fear of failure, he did it at Man City and also perhaps to a lesser extent when he left Reading after playoff failure in 2009. Resigned from Palace, resigned from Brentford, left Brighton...

Love of football? Don't think he had any heart to start with....

We knew he wasn't a guy who liked the attention and was a thoughtful type but I did think something wasn't right.

When the goals were going in against Millwall and he never even left his seat or showed any emotion or any attempt to communicate with the players - that was bad. didn't expect a Warnock like touchline rant but that day he looked as down as Tinnion did after that Swansea game.

Surely ANY manager - whatever their personality - would try to impart some instructions or encouragement or help to the team who were being overun by Millwall.

I'm sure the team found that odd and hence no surprise when he quit.

CR

Archived