IGNORED

Messrs Lansdown And Millen - Smart Blokes

Whooooossshhhh

I have to say, with Maynard in your side, top 10 is almost guaranteed, even if the rest of the team sucks.

We have a better squad than last season and that was a better squad than the previous season. We've been doing worse mostly because of team spirit. It's up to Millen to get them to gel, to manage expectations, to get the players to enjoy playing...

I wouldn't necessarily say the defence is our weakest spot squad-wise. I personally thought Orr was much over-rated. Haven't seen Hunt yet but we all know Ribs can do it. Fonts, when he keeps his concentration, is a great Championship defender and can play left-back. Fonts-Stewart-Carey-Ribs+James is a defence that most would have been happy with pre-season, then there's defensive cover with Cisse.

I pointed out last season that the goals conceded under Gerken was about double that under Basso. Great shot-stopper but lacked the kind of inspirational presence that Basso was. Hopefully, James can fit back into that role.

We don't need an attacking midfielder (see multiple threads re: World Cup & 2 def mids) and I'm sure Clarkson could do it if needed. However, we do need to learn how to counter attack. We are one of the weakest Championship teams on the break and it puts us under pressure defensively too.

I would have the team doing an hour of drills on this every day.

We have amazing talent in attack now. We have >1 decent winger for once, possibly 4.

It could be top 6 or it could be midtable. It's all about confidence and gelling.

Personally I find it hard not to talk about Liam in the past tense. He was as you describe in our first season back but has got steadily worse ever since. He and Carey were both culpable in our dreadful defending last season and Fontaine has looked no better so far this. If that was all down to Gerken (who incidentally prevented several more heavy defeats single handed) how come they look just as bad with an international keeper in front of them? Gary was far too loyal to them (and a few others - though fat lot of loyalty he got back) for far too long. He lived in denial, insisting we had no problem defending. Keith admits there is a problem but falls back on the cliche about sorting it out in training; so what has been happening in training until now? I find it hard to believe that our defenders are suddenly going to recapture their past form and frankly we cannot afford to wait for that and cross our fingers. There are suggestions that Keith is after two defenders. I sincerely hope so.

That's a fair reply, Chinapig and rockin-robin is partially right in that I haven't seen enough games recently to judge any recent decline.

I merely wanted to counter any unwarranted pessimism and give people reasons to strongly support the club at this difficult time.

We swing between extreme pessimism and optimism. Usually, the truth lies somewhere in between.

Steve Coppell, David James, Keith Millen.......and Cole Skuse as captain!

Yes, your point? Our manager left us after just 2 games, a massive inconveinience but I'd imagine this didn't have the country in raptures. We signed what was Engand's World Cup number one in what is considered a fantastic coup by many in the game. Keith Millen replaces Steve Coppell to solve our managerial crisis, by no means a big name and not many people's preference, but hardly unheard of as it's happened countless times before. Cole Skuse is stand in captain while our club captain is injured. A young passionate bristolian who has just had a fantastic season and really loves the club.

Yeah you are right, we're a hilarious joke...

Archived