IGNORED

Sainsbury

EmersonsKev

I'm glad someone has raised the question of the redevelopment of AG again, not because I want it to happen, but because I haven't seen anything during this howling controversy to suggest that local residents vehemently opposed to the new stadium have actually stopped to consider what will happen if they succeed in preventing it from getting built.

Does anyone know if I'm right in thinking that the club have previously applied for and been granted permission for the redevelopment of the existing stadium? If this is the case and City were to be promoted (fat chance, you might say, if you were at Tuesday's game, but let that pass for a moment) what would the consequences be?

Perhaps SL would not opt to modify the ground even in those circumstances, because it would not make financial sense to do so (insufficient space for new conference facilities and so on) and we would have to play in the PL with a ground capacity of 19,000 or thereabouts. But if AG were to be expanded to a 30,000, assuming that to be feasible, what would the impact be on the neighbourhoods close to AG?

The people I know who live in Southville and adjoining areas who are against not just the supermarket but the stadium project itself appear not to have thought this through. They already moan about parking on match days and other, associated inconveniences. I have tried to point out that the new stadium would have better road access, better parking and be another quarter to a half a mile away, which would ease all these problems for them, but they seem so consumed with antipathy towards the club and its supporters that they can't see beyond their knee-jerk opposition. If they don't like living near to a football ground now, with our typical attendances of perhaps 14,000 or so, what will they make of it when Man Utd or Arsenal roll into town and the streets are thronged with twice that number?

I could forsee a situation in which they're all sat around wishing to hell they hadn't stood against the new project in the first place, but the point seems to elude them. Anyone else noticed this tendency among the Nimbys? And does it offer another argument with which to try to persuade people to think a little more rationally and see beyond the end of their noses?

I'd just be interested to know what others think on the subject.

Archived