IGNORED

Getting There Slowly

Robbored

I know it was another home defeat but at least City looked far more 'up for it' and positive than they did on Tuesday night. The change of personal and formation certainly gave City a sharper look.

The Coventry first goal was a combination of errors from the linesman and the City back line who were way too far up the pitch. A tad unlucky I reckon.

That said Coventry had obviously done their home work and the second goal was an almost exact copy of one City conceded earlier this season (can't remember who against). Deep cross to the far post, header back across and an easy header. They realised that McAllister is a weak link and not very tall so put two tall blokes in his zone. Schoolboy defending again.

Going forward City looked far more likely to score and got forward more effectively than against Watford. Elliot hit the bar, their keeper pulled off a couple of good saves. Albert and Stead once again stood out but Haynes obviously needs more games. City also looked more of a threat when Johnson came on and did his cause no harm at all.

Overall, disapointed with the result but happier with the performace. Enough so to remain optimistic that Millen will turn things around.

I know it was another home defeat but at least City looked far more 'up for it' and positive than they did on Tuesday night. The change of personal and formation certainly gave City a sharper look.

The Coventry first goal was a combination of errors from the linesman and the City back line who were way too far up the pitch. A tad unlucky I reckon.

That said Coventry had obviously done their home work and the second goal was an almost exact copy of one City conceded earlier this season (can't remember who against). Deep cross to the far post, header back across and an easy header. They realised that McAllister is a weak link and not very tall so put two tall blokes in his zone. Schoolboy defending again.

Going forward City looked far more likely to score and got forward more effectively than against Watford. Elliot hit the bar, their keeper pulled off a couple of good saves. Albert and Stead once again stood out but Haynes obviously needs more games. City also looked more of a threat when Johnson came on and did his cause no harm at all.

Overall, disapointed with the result but happier with the performace. Enough so to remain optimistic that Millen will turn things around.

I'm afraid I don't share your optimism. Mercifully, I missed the Tuesday night debacle due to work commitments and, but according to the friend I sit with, yesterday was 100% better. However, for me, having only witnessed yesterday's game, there is not much to be optimistic about.

Millen does not exude confidence, commitment or belief in his teams, nor do the players really seem to know how he wants to play. We are severely lacking in central midfield with both Elliott and Skuse shadows of their former selves before injury. Johnson is not the answer, despite what many are calling for, and our defence is shockingly frail and short on depth in the squad.

On yesterday's showing, Millen seems to think the way to get a goal back when chasing the game is to throw on as many strikers as he can - well, why not?, we seem to have plenty of them at the moment!

Our biggest problem, and teams are begininning to suss this, is that we can't handle pressure on the ball - we want too much time. Coventry's tactic yesterday was to close down quickly and it worked a treat.

For me, Millen is struggling and until we resolve the large gap left by Hartley and improve our defensive depth, things aren't going to get much better.

Summed up the game well I think we played a lot better in the 2nd half with the 4-4-2 everyone knowing where they were playing and seems more organized. I felt there was commitment from the players yesterday although not hard to do from tuesdays performance. I think especially considering only 6 of the players that started against millwall started yesterday the squad has been changing around a lot but there were some good signs obviously need to defend tighter though.

I'm afraid I don't share your optimism. Mercifully, I missed the Tuesday night debacle due to work commitments and, but according to the friend I sit with, yesterday was 100% better. However, for me, having only witnessed yesterday's game, there is not much to be optimistic about.

Millen does not exude confidence, commitment or belief in his teams, nor do the players really seem to know how he wants to play. We are severely lacking in central midfield with both Elliott and Skuse shadows of their former selves before injury. Johnson is not the answer, despite what many are calling for, and our defence is shockingly frail and short on depth in the squad.

On yesterday's showing, Millen seems to think the way to get a goal back when chasing the game is to throw on as many strikers as he can - well, why not?, we seem to have plenty of them at the moment!

Our biggest problem, and teams are begininning to suss this, is that we can't handle pressure on the ball - we want too much time. Coventry's tactic yesterday was to close down quickly and it worked a treat.

For me, Millen is struggling and until we resolve the large gap left by Hartley and improve our defensive depth, things aren't going to get much better.

I reckon your're reading far too much into Millen's suposed managerial flaws. No-one can argue that he's not experienced as a number one but all managers start somewhere. We also have to remember that injuries seriously impacted upon pre-season followed by the Coppell fiasco. He has a number of new players who haven't yet performed at the standard required and he addressed that yesterday by leaving them out. He's adopted an attacking formation is every game which I for one like to see.

Its the defence that has largely been City's achilles heel and Millen could take some critism for not addressing that yet with new signings/loans or for persistantly selecting weak link McAllister as left back.

You missed the Watford game - well yesterday was considerably better! Thats reason enough for me to remain optimistic that Millen will turn it around.

May I ask why, Robbored, you manage to be so positive about a City team under Millen that look like like relegation candidates, and yet be so scathing about Gary Johnson's largely successful tenure.

It beggars belief, we are in deep trouble right now - the spirit and the togetherness we had under Johnson has gone. And you seem so much more positive about how things are going this season? Alright, last season was poor but why could you fail to give Johnson credit for the fantastic job he did up to then, yet defend his assistant (now our manager) who can't get his team defending the basics, or attacking with any ideas?

It seems to me like you think the way things are now are better than they were under GJ. Im sorry, but I fail to understand your sentiments. All the good work of GJ's first 3 years is unravelling and we look like sliding back into the oblivion of the third year - what, for another 9 years maybe?

May I ask why, Robbored, you manage to be so positive about a City team under Millen that look like like relegation candidates, and yet be so scathing about Gary Johnson's largely successful tenure.

It beggars belief, we are in deep trouble right now - the spirit and the togetherness we had under Johnson has gone. And you seem so much more positive about how things are going this season? Alright, last season was poor but why could you fail to give Johnson credit for the fantastic job he did up to then, yet defend his assistant (now our manager) who can't get his team defending the basics, or attacking with any ideas?

It seems to me like you think the way things are now are better than they were under GJ. Im sorry, but I fail to understand your sentiments. All the good work of GJ's first 3 years is unravelling and we look like sliding back into the oblivion of the third year - what, for another 9 years maybe?

I was asked this before and answered by saying 'time'.

Johnson served up two seasons of absolute shite and if it wasn't for Maynards brilliant individual goals a tenth placed finish would have been closer to 20th. City couldn't defend under Johnson either as 0-6 and 2-5 defeats at home prove and conceding 65 goals over the season.. Johnson had plenty of time to create a winning team ( during which City lost 9 consequetive games - a club record) but it seems Millen isn't allowed the same time in the views of some fans.

One rule for one and another rule for another? :disapointed2se:

I didn't go yesterday but Tuesday was dreadful. Little appetite or idea, no idea about what to do when things weren't going well. Like home defeat to Cardiff last season.

Based on those two games alone and where we are in the league I sense that this might not be the glory season so many hoped for back at the beginning of last month. In little more than C weeks we've seen a wave of optimism be swamped by despair.

How long will it take and how long is given? No idea. Only a few know the answer to that and that includes no-one who posts on here.

In the meantime the only thing to do is support whoever wears the red shirt. Never mind shouting out to Hunt that he's a disgrace when the ground is quiet and he takes a throw in by you. Never mind posting what might or might not be true about David James' knees/training regime/influence at the club.

Since when did you ever respond well when your boss or those around said you were useless? Don't answer the question - its rhetorical.

Support is what's needed - not moaning and groaning - even if you can see glimpses of better football on The Downs.

Johnson served up two seasons of absolute shite and if it wasn't for Maynards brilliant individual goals a tenth placed finish would have been closer to 20th. City couldn't defend under Johnson either as 0-6 and 2-5 defeats at home prove and conceding 65 goals over the season.. Johnson had plenty of time to create a winning team ( during which City lost 9 consequetive games - a club record) but it seems Millen isn't allowed the same time in the views of some fans.

It's sad - for you - that with some others on here you were unable to enjoy the success that Gary Johnson brought to the club. For whatever reason. Those of us who enjoyed the ride - the happy clappers I think we were? -had the time of our lives! I've never been to as many matches in a season - home and away for three years - great stuff. Terrace chants, punches to the crowd, laugh out loud funny quotes, skilful media management....Johnson brought a bit of charisma, brought the club together and put us on the map. He laid the foundations for Steve Lansdown's bigger dreams.

The two years of "absolute shite" you watched looked to me like two years battling to stay in one of the most competitive leagues in the world. When I last saw Gary just before Christmas he was saying that the first duty of every manager in the Championship was to ensure that you got a good enough start to avoid relegation...and then you could start planning for something better. He clearly knew the mood was swinging against him and wondered how much time the Chairman would give him. His time ran out at Bristol City, but not as a manager. Look at the league one table today....

He brought years of management experience to the job. Keith Millen has almost none. He was Steve's quick fix solution. If we needed a man with experience when Coppell took over we certainly needed one when he left. I think Keith is set up to fail. He won't have time I fear.

Those of us who enjoyed the ride - the happy clappers I think we were? -had the time of our lives! I've never been to as many matches in a season - home and away for three years - great stuff. Terrace chants, punches to the crowd, laugh out loud funny quotes, skilful media management....Johnson brought a bit of charisma, brought the club together and put us on the map. He laid the foundations for Steve Lansdown's bigger dreams.

I can't disagree with that.

The two years of "absolute shite" you watched looked to me like two years battling to stay in one of the most competitive leagues in the world. When I last saw Gary just before Christmas he was saying that the first duty of every manager in the Championship was to ensure that you got a good enough start to avoid relegation...and then you could start planning for something better. He clearly knew the mood was swinging against him and wondered how much time the Chairman would give him. His time ran out at Bristol City, but not as a manager. Look at the league one table today....

Johnsons limitations became oh so obvious and his constant ranting and raving and blaming the players proved. He lost the plot big time and had to go. City could well have been relegated had he stayed.

He brought years of management experience to the job. Keith Millen has almost none. He was Steve's quick fix solution. If we needed a man with experience when Coppell took over we certainly needed one when he left. I think Keith is set up to fail. He won't have time I fear.

Millen is a bright individual and would have learn lots of positives from Johnson as well as lots of what not to do. Give him the time just has Johnson had after the Tinnion fiasco and he'll turn things around. We are not even 10 games into the season yet.

Pity you couldn`t have given GJ as long as your prepared to give KM then really.

PDG

There's a danger of rewriting history with Gary. If Basso hadn't dropped the ball at Ross McCormack's feet we would have gone into the last 7 matches of the 08-09 season in a play-off place. What we wouldn't give for prospects of that now! Gary's last season wasn't a success - but up to that match his on the pitch record was good and the fans were behind him. His critics didn't start their criticism in his last days - they were there for years...

My point is you didn't give Johnson time. You never gave him credit throughout his 5 years at the club. You wanted him out straight away. One rule for one and one for another? Yes, mate, exactly!

I would love to give Keith Millen time, I truly hope he can turn us around. My beef is that he was Johnson's assistant and perhaps if Johnson needed to go, then so did he. After all, who is our defensive coach? And who was it under Gary? The same man. There's no doubting Millen is a decent man and someone who deserves to be a success in the game, but we're crying out for some experience and know-how here. We need a tough character, a Johnson-type boss to get us out of the hole Coppell left us in. Keith Millen could well make a decent manager, but I don't think this is the right appointment at this moment.

I won't boo him or slag him off, but that's how I feel. As I see it, I think we are looking like strong candidates for relegation, and a rudderless ship with no leaders on the field and a lack of directive from the touchline. If we keep shipping these goals, we won't win more than 3 or 4 this season. I think we're in big big trouble; a great deal more trouble than we were ever in under Johnson.

My point is you didn't give Johnson time. You never gave him credit throughout his 5 years at the club. You wanted him out straight away. One rule for one and one for another? Yes, mate, exactly!

I would love to give Keith Millen time, I truly hope he can turn us around. My beef is that he was Johnson's assistant and perhaps if Johnson needed to go, then so did he. After all, who is our defensive coach? And who was it under Gary? The same man. There's no doubting Millen is a decent man and someone who deserves to be a success in the game, but we're crying out for some experience and know-how here. We need a tough character, a Johnson-type boss to get us out of the hole Coppell left us in. Keith Millen could well make a decent manager, but I don't think this is the right appointment at this moment.

I won't boo him or slag him off, but that's how I feel. As I see it, I think we are looking like strong candidates for relegation, and a rudderless ship with no leaders on the field and a lack of directive from the touchline. If we keep shipping these goals, we won't win more than 3 or 4 this season. I think we're in big big trouble; a great deal more trouble than we were ever in under Johnson.

spot on

I reckon your're reading far too much into Millen's suposed managerial flaws. No-one can argue that he's not experienced as a number one but all managers start somewhere. We also have to remember that injuries seriously impacted upon pre-season followed by the Coppell fiasco. He has a number of new players who haven't yet performed at the standard required and he addressed that yesterday by leaving them out. He's adopted an attacking formation is every game which I for one like to see.

Its the defence that has largely been City's achilles heel and Millen could take some critism for not addressing that yet with new signings/loans or for persistantly selecting weak link McAllister as left back.

You missed the Watford game - well yesterday was considerably better! Thats reason enough for me to remain optimistic that Millen will turn it around.

I really hope you're right. But we cannot gamble with our status as a Championship club and in that sense he needs to start making the fans, as well as the players, believe in him. Nobody wants to go through yet another managerial merry-go-round, but if it saves us from relegations then it's no contest.

I'm happy to give him another month for things to start looking up. After that, I think we're gambling with our future.

Reality is that we have already lost as many games at home as we did in the whole of Gary's supposedly 'shite' last season in charge - and it's still September!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - we are in a worse position now in every respect than we were when Gary left. He was 10 times the manager Millen is and I'm afraid for the first time in years I no longer 'believe'.

Those of you who were baying for Gary to go - and it wasn't just Robbo was it - you really should be careful what you wish for. I called Millen 'the clown with the clipboard' the night Gary left - I'm staggered he is our full time manager.

Great post, you just saved me 10 minutes of my time as was gonna write something very similiar.

People say "give him time"......in football, time is something we dont have. Relegation from this league, would be a disaster......and the way we defend, and have defended for the last two years, bottom 3 is very much a possibility.

People say....lets wait to see where we are at Christmas? If we are in the bottom 6/8 come February.....do you think this crop of players, and this management team...have the stomach to fight of relegation?? I cant recall seeing such a weak, heartless, gutless City set up, from the manager or the players. Absolutely gutless the lot of them....not one ounce of fight.

We need a manager here who knows what he is doing, we should have tried to pinch Neil Warnock last year from Palace (im sure loads will say "no way", but lets be hoenst, an excellent manager and motivator), and on top of that, you have managers like O'Driscoll, Pardew, Eddie Howe....all I feel, would be better long term for this club.

You have said in a post a bit further down that Millen would have pickedup lots of things to do, and things not to do, from Johnson.......its just a shame that one thing he didnt learn was to play players, in correct positions.

Tuesday night....Cole Skuse left midfield.......Saturday, Danny Rose centre............

.......its just like watching Johnson last season....

Those of us who enjoyed the ride - the happy clappers I think we were? -had the time of our lives! I've never been to as many matches in a season - home and away for three years - great stuff. Terrace chants, punches to the crowd, laugh out loud funny quotes, skilful media management....Johnson brought a bit of charisma, brought the club together and put us on the map. He laid the foundations for Steve Lansdown's bigger dreams.

I can't disagree with that.

Johnsons limitations became oh so obvious and his constant ranting and raving and blaming the players proved. He lost the plot big time and had to go. City could well have been relegated had he stayed.

Millen is a bright individual and would have learn lots of positives from Johnson as well as lots of what not to do. Give him the time just has Johnson had after the Tinnion fiasco and he'll turn things around. We are not even 10 games into the season yet.

2 Things, Firstly what was so bright about playing our left sided wide messiah in the middle.

and not even 10 games in, So round about the same amount of games so far that you formed your unswerving opinion of our last manager then.

and not even 10 games in, So round about the same amount of games so far that you formed your unswerving opinion of our last manager then.

I get really fed up when people say that I gave Johnson only a few games. He had been in post for approx 5 months before I posted that infamous thread.

Get your facts right.

I get really fed up when people say that I gave Johnson only a few games. He had been in post for approx 5 months before I posted that infamous thread.

Get your facts right.

But for me it was obvious then that things would turn around. A proven manager needs time to build his own side. He had only had the expensive january transfer window at that point.

Thing is, Millen is not a proven/experienced manager.....

Thing is, Millen is not a proven/experienced manager.....

Doesn't matter imo -There is no gaurantee that an experienced/proven manager will bring success. Pardew (whose name has been mentioned on here) was recently sacked from Southampton. In fact most experienced/proven mangers have been sacked at some point in their careers. Every mangerial appointment carries an element of risk.

Millen has plenty of experience as a number two and would have learnt from City ex-managers what approaches work effectively and which ones don't work. That said he'll have his own idea's and managerial style which he can now implement. He his also a highly qualified coach and has contacts within the game, some through his coaching. I think he met Wigley at a coaching event

I'm convinced Millen will suceed at City. We just need to give him time to bulid and create his own team.

Doesn't matter imo -There is no gaurantee that an experienced/proven manager will bring success. Pardew (whose name has been mentioned on here) was recently sacked from Southampton. In fact most experienced/proven mangers have been sacked at some point in their careers. Every mangerial appointment carries an element of risk.

Millen has plenty of experience as a number two and would have learnt from City ex-managers what approaches work effectively and which ones don't work. That said he'll have his own idea's and managerial style which he can now implement. He his also a highly qualified coach and has contacts within the game, some through his coaching. I think he met Wigley at a coaching event

I'm convinced Millen will suceed at City. We just need to give him time to bulid and create his own team.

Convinced seems a very strong word.

I could understand you saying you 'believe' he will succeed, or 'have faith' he will but surely when taking into account his managerial experience and what we have seen on the pitch so far, 'hope' would be the most appropriate word.

In Gary Johnson's case many of us were indeed convinced he would succeed. This was based on acknowledgement that the dressing room needed sorting out and his record of success in the lower divisions before his appointment. This convinced us that the short term pain was worthwhile because it was very likely we would have success at the end of it, and a long overdue promotion.

In KM's case none of us have any idea whether we will improve or not and the reason for our unease rests with the possibility that, as things stand, the current pain may last for as long as KM is in the job.

well done Robbored for at least trying to be positive - must be odd being on the other side of the argument - in reality there is no choice to make presenty but to back Millen - the club needs some stability and those questioning his position do us no favours at all.

I use the word convinced simply because I have an intuative, sixth sense if you like that Millen will prove to a sucess.

I had the same feeling that Johnson would ultimately fail.

Are you having a laugh? Johnson was very successful.

He failed to deliver Premier League football yes. But was that on the agenda when he took over the club?

We can only come to the conclusion that millen WILL get us promoted and anything less is a failure - according to you.

the club needs some stability and those questioning his position do us no favours at all.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Until KM shows signs that he is capable of taking City forward fans will, and should, question his position.

We will discuss it in the pub, whenever we bump into fellow City fans, and on this forum. That doesn't mean we won't support KM on matchdays and hope he will turn things round.

We've got 19 more home matches to sit through this season and continuing to let 2 or 3 goals in per match won't get us very far, will it?

One point out of 12 at home, 10 goals conceded in 4 home games?

If this continues the only 'stability' we'll be getting is cementing our position in the bottom 3.

Are you having a laugh? Johnson was very successful.

He failed to deliver Premier League football yes. But was that on the agenda when he took over the club?

We can only come to the conclusion that millen WILL get us promoted and anything less is a failure - according to you.

Johnson had a period of success and then ultimately a period of failure.That period of failure cost him his job after it became clear the club was stagnating and he'd lost the dressing room. Two seasons of the same shite was an overdose in shite for many fans.

I think Millen will, given time, produce a team good enough to reach reach the play-offs, and possibly automatic promotion. He'll do it playing decent attacking football as well. Maybe not this season as he is now re-building almost from scratch but you never know.

Johnson had a period of success and then ultimately a period of failure.That period of failure cost him his job after it became clear the club was stagnating and he'd lost the dressing room. Two seasons of the same shite was an overdose in shite for many fans.

I think Millen will, given time, produce a team good enough to reach reach the play-offs, and possibly automatic promotion. He'll do it playing decent attacking football as well. Maybe not this season as he is now re-building almost from scratch but you never know.

You state the obvious when you say he had a period of success and a period of failure.

But what about his stint as manager as a whole? which you deemed a failure?

He left us comfortably in a division above where he found us with a very competitve squad. We we're also one game from the premier league at one point. Does not sound like a failure to me!

How many Bristol City managers could say they did that? surely if GJ is a failure then all the past managers who acheived less are failures? including danny wilson?

Archived