IGNORED

Can't Remember This Much Hassle When Ikea Moved To Eastville

BrizzleRed

All the problems we are having with Ashton Vale has got me thinking. I live in Kingswood and honestly can't remember there being massive protests about IKEA being built on the site of the old Eastville Stadium.

Now let's look at the impact IKEA have had on the area.

Yes they have brought jobs to the area, but they have also brought very long opening hours, a huge number of customers with the traffic chaos and associated pollution etc around the M32 and particularly Muller Road roundabout. As anyone can see when passing on the M32, some of the houses backing onto the store can now see nothing but a bloody great big blue wall outside their back windows, but that still got past all the planning hurdles with seemingly no problems.

Then turn to our situation and we have a few selfish barstewards in Ashton Vale, along with a few tame tree huggers who are doing everything in their power to scupper the biggest potential boost to the regeneration of South Bristol to happen for decades.

We've got a deserted, festering rubbish dump for which that they are claiming Town Green status, along with complaining because an overcrowded Sainsbury store wants to move a couple of hundred yards down the road to a bigger site to improve the shoppers' experience. To top that, they are trying to stop the local football club, who have been their neighbour for over 100 years from re-locating to said rubbish dump and improving what is basically a wasteland with pipes sticking out to vent the noxious gasses. You've got to give them credit for conning the Town Green Inspector, but this nonsense really has got to stop.

So many previous schemes have failed in Bristol because the council listen far too much to the vocal minorities. I just hope Bristol City Council realise this is the time to grow some and tell the NIMBYS to **** off and stop depriving the vast majority of Bristolians of the benefits this development would bring.

All the problems we are having with Ashton Vale has got me thinking. I live in Kingswood and honestly can't remember there being massive protests about IKEA being built on the site of the old Eastville Stadium.

Now let's look at the impact IKEA have had on the area.

Yes they have brought jobs to the area, but they have also brought very long opening hours, a huge number of customers with the traffic chaos and associated pollution etc around the M32 and particularly Muller Road roundabout. As anyone can see when passing on the M32, some of the houses backing onto the store can now see nothing but a bloody great big blue wall outside their back windows, but that still got past all the planning hurdles with seemingly no problems.

Then turn to our situation and we have a few selfish barstewards in Ashton Vale, along with a few tame tree huggers who are doing everything in their power to scupper the biggest potential boost to the regeneration of South Bristol to happen for decades.

We've got a deserted, festering rubbish dump for which that they are claiming Town Green status, along with complaining because an overcrowded Sainsbury store wants to move a couple of hundred yards down the road to a bigger site to improve the shoppers' experience. To top that, they are trying to stop the local football club, who have been their neighbour for over 100 years from re-locating to said rubbish dump and improving what is basically a wasteland with pipes sticking out to vent the noxious gasses. You've got to give them credit for conning the Town Green Inspector, but this nonsense really has got to stop.

So many previous schemes have failed in Bristol because the council listen far too much to the vocal minorities. I just hope Bristol City Council realise this is the time to grow some and tell the NIMBYS to **** off and stop depriving the vast majority of Bristolians of the benefits this development would bring.

Glad I found this because I've been thinking exactly the same, every time I drive down the M32, usually for an evening match when I travel straight from work. And I have often thought this when thinking why the Ateyo redevelopment was rejected when initialy a 9,500 stand was proposed, due to the view fromt the Houses on Ashton Road, nothing can compare to the Ikea "Blue Shed" as you point out and yet this was passed - unbelievable. And you are quite right, the houses in the proximity of the store back right up agaginst it.

To be fair, I think the local residents went ballistic, and you can't really blame them.

They have far more legitimate concerns than those who are objecting in Ashton Vale.

The "official" reason for the speedway having to leave Eastville was the locals complaining of the noise. This was despite the fact the M32 was between their homes and the stadium. So to then lose the noise generated ny greyhounds and visiting football fans and then gain the advantage of an IKEA on their doorstep must have added value to those houses.

Archived