IGNORED

Brett Pitman

PFree

The thing is he has basically played league 2 football the majority of his career, the step up (as also in Maynard's case) is massive. He was picked as part of a front two in his first two games when changes were needed to strength the midfield/defense. This meant putting an extra man in midfield and playing just the one up top, which was always going to be Stead as he is more suited to that type of role.

However, give him time as he is appears to be a predator in and around the box and like Maynard, I am sure will come good.

The OP is 100% correct in his/her analysis of the Pitman situation. No service from midfield or the flanks = no goals, whether you're Brett Pitman or Brad Pitt.

Sort it out Keith - the problem is yours, not out kid striker's.....

Thank you - I was starting to wonder whether the original thread / theme had been completely lost! tumbleweed.gif

Thank you - I was starting to wonder whether the original thread / theme had been completely lost! tumbleweed.gif

Exactly !

Can barely afford season ticket let alone going to away games so haven't seen too much of him but was surprised he came off against Watford as showed some good touches and was given NO service. He will feed off anything in/around 6 yard box so play to his strengths for gods sake i.e wingers etc etc - it's not rocket science and hopefully Keith Millen realises this...

Ribbish, plays can go on into there late 30's early 40's these days! 22 is nothing!

22 is a third of his career as the majority of players do not play past 32. At that point they hopefully earned a nice sum, have coaching to full back on or can delivery a nice fresh pint of daisies finest.

With Pitman and Stead getting the headlines, what happens to David Clarkeson ?

Interesting that Clarkeson & Pitman both cost around 800k, both under contract, which one will provide the best service this season. Clarkeson has scored 2 goals in 3 league starts and 3 run ons from the bench.

With Haynes, Vokes and Maynard to join Clarkeson, Pitman and Stead, things will get a little crowded up front.

It's all very well buying these players with 'promise' from lower league teams or one's that are out of favour at Championship sides, but in doing so, you have to mix these players alongside Quality experienced players, so that they can develop without pressure.

We haven't done that. We have lots of players with promise, but apart from DJ and Maynard, we have no one on our books, that you could call more than an average player.

You only have to look at the player profiles on the website, to read their stats. It doesn't make positive reading for a team that is looking to improve on the last four years and avoid relegation.

Some quality signings of players that have proven themselves as being good at this level, is what is needed.

An old head in the back four ( Carey's past it ), a quality Midfielder that can dictate the game, ( we need someone in the Hartley mold ), and another forward, that is proven QUALTY...and ship out the average one's that we have.

We need at least 3 Quality players that have Premier League or Top Championship experience.

I think the wage structure is probably holding us back and that is why we are paying out on a lot of dead wood.

I'd get rid of Hunt, McAllister,Stewart, Carey,Johnson, Clarkson,Williams, Sproule,Cisse, Nyatanga,T Williams, and Stead.

All of them are either past it or no more than average at this level.

We have 34 players in the first team squad. 34......Why the hell do we need all of those, plus an Academy?

Sell the dead wood and use the money to buy some quality, with experience.

I really don't see why we need a first team squad of more than 26.

At least a third of our first team squad won't start a league game. Bench or reserves for many of them.

Poor management in my mind.

It's all very well buying these players with 'promise' from lower league teams or one's that are out of favour at Championship sides, but in doing so, you have to mix these players alongside Quality experienced players, so that they can develop without pressure.

We haven't done that. We have lots of players with promise, but apart from DJ and Maynard, we have no one on our books, that you could call more than an average player.

You only have to look at the player profiles on the website, to read their stats. It doesn't make positive reading for a team that is looking to improve on the last four years and avoid relegation.

Some quality signings of players that have proven themselves as being good at this level, is what is needed.

An old head in the back four ( Carey's past it ), a quality Midfielder that can dictate the game, ( we need someone in the Hartley mold ), and another forward, that is proven QUALTY...and ship out the average one's that we have.

We need at least 3 Quality players that have Premier League or Top Championship experience.

I think the wage structure is probably holding us back and that is why we are paying out on a lot of dead wood.

I'd get rid of Hunt, McAllister,Stewart, Carey,Johnson, Clarkson,Williams, Sproule,Cisse, Nyatanga,T Williams, and Stead.

All of them are either past it or no more than average at this level.

We have 34 players in the first team squad. 34......Why the hell do we need all of those, plus an Academy?

Sell the dead wood and use the money to buy some quality, with experience.

I really don't see why we need a first team squad of more than 26.

At least a third of our first team squad won't start a league game. Bench or reserves for many of them.

Poor management in my mind.

We actually have 36 - I have said the same thing http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/130586-if-you-were-manager-choose-your-team/

We need to get rid of the plethora or average players all in the same positions. With the savings in wages from 13 players I think should go buy 4 quality players, if we keep the squad to 25/26 players (which should be enough even with injuries if they are good/quality). This would also enable us to up our wage cap just a little. Sadly most fans just list their team they would play (nearly all identical bar the odd player in a position - do hardly anything different to Keith, yet moan). Ask them how they will actually improve BCFC they nearly always just fall silent.

Who says he is a left winger ?

He looks the business to me as a central midfielder - better than anything we currently have.

Well I seem to recall about 5 or so pages drooling over him on this site, one guy has watched him regularly at under 21 level and another at reserve level, At no time did I read that he was a central midfielder, oh no he was definately being heralded as our new left sided wide man, however if the whole 5 pages were and all it's posters were wrong, then so be it.

We actually have 36 - I have said the same thing http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/130586-if-you-were-manager-choose-your-team/

We need to get rid of the plethora or average players all in the same positions. With the savings in wages from 13 players I think should go buy 4 quality players, if we keep the squad to 25/26 players (which should be enough even with injuries if they are good/quality). This would also enable us to up our wage cap just a little. Sadly most fans just list their team they would play (nearly all identical bar the odd player in a position - do hardly anything different to Keith, yet moan). Ask them how they will actually improve BCFC they nearly always just fall silent.

I totally agree with your sentiments. Unfortunately, if you speak out about the Club, in what is seen as negative way, then you get shouted down.

What people seem to forget, is this is not negative. Pointing out this glaring error at the Club can only be positive.

We have had a history of doing this at Bristol City for many years, and perhaps the Club need to have a massive shake up, and run it differently.

Every company is doing it, and i see no reason why BCFC shouldn't do it. Paying the massive wages on players that will hardly ever feature, is mental. Developement i can understand...but much of what we have is never going to get any better, and is dead wood.

We need ... Quality players that have Premier League or Top Championship experience.

I'd get rid of Hunt

I know his start at City has been far from fantastic and he had fallen out of favour at Bolton but he did used to be a regular in a fairly decent Premier League side for a good few years. There must be something about him and it's up to Millen to bring it out again.

I know his start at City has been far from fantastic and he had fallen out of favour at Bolton but he did used to be a regular in a fairly decent Premier League side for a good few years. There must be something about him and it's up to Millen to bring it out again.

His Career started going backwards 4 seasons ago. Loaned out to Birmingham and Derby as cover for injured players. Ask any Bolton, Birmingham or Derby fan and they all say the same thing...He's lost it.

Archived