IGNORED

Backroom Staff

spudski

I've probably come across recently, with some of my comments on here, as being perceived as very negative.

But this has been niggling me for a long time...

I've often thought that this Club, has too many playing staff, and should be reduced by at least 10 players.

I also look at our backroom staff and wonder if we need a big shake up to move forward.

Alan Walsh (City legend that he is), Stuart Naylor, John Clayton, David Lee...All have cushy little numbers going on at City...But are they good enough for what we want?

It's bad enough that we have an inexperienced manager at this level and his assistant doesn't thrill me either. Ask any Southampton fan and the fact he's Stuart Pearces mate, will tell you how he ended up with the England under 21's :unsure:

Does anyone else think, for us to move forward, that we need a big shake up internally.

I personally do...as i think we are stagnating.

Any views....?

Alan Walsh fine

David Lee Fine

Naylor Fine

Clayton (been at the club for 20 odd years) fine

Nope nothing wrong with the back room staff if anything there isn't enough of them,

The problem is on the pitch the players aren't putting in the shifts that they should be,

some of the perfomances put in warrents 2 weeks wages fines, players need to shape up and quickly,

Elliot who has been very poor has started to improve in recent games, its time skuse Fontaine McAllister follow suit and then a win will come

Would you not like someone with some new ideas and better quality?

Having people that have been around years, often leads to stagnation, and a better the devil you know attitude.

I really do not see our Academy and reserves being that good. Yes we get the odd few come through, but the step up from Youth to First team seems to be very poor.

well Clayton who has been in charge of the youth team has helped,

Aaron Brown

Leroy Lita

Matt Hill

Danny Coles

Tommy Dochs

Joe Bunell

Ribs

Skuse,

and many many more who have made money or gone onto play for the club,

Fergie has been around for years and Man U havven't really stagnated have they same with Wenger,

We need some ppl with new ideas yes but the coachs in place are fine,

We need another Defensive coach (Martin Keown would be a good choice if he wasn't a rubbish pundit)

and maybe a midfield coach who can teach the lads how to pass and not lump the ball 60 yards

Milly & Wiggles sounds great, so they should work.

Spudski, Milly & Wiggles sounds even better, come on you know you like it,

:D Not a chance mate...but i'm not one for blindly supporting the team regardless. I'm not an 'always believe', because it's totally misguided and covers over the cracks.

I just want City to move forward. Bringing in better quality everywhere, is something the Club should be looking to do. Keeping people on, just because, they know how the Club runs, is not a recipe for success. Perhaps the Club is not being run proficiently and could be run better?

In all business's, the one's that progress and get better, employ better quality staff and don't rest on their laurals.

Aaron Brown

Leroy Lita

Matt Hill

Danny Coles

Tommy Dochs

Joe Bunell

Ribs

Skuse,

Fergie has been around for years and Man U havven't really stagnated have they same with Wenger,

We need another Defensive coach (Martin Keown would be a good choice if he wasn't a rubbish pundit)

and maybe a midfield coach who can teach the lads how to pass and not lump the ball 60 yards

Well that list hardly sets the world alight!

Is that the standard of player you are happy with? If so, you prove my point.

I think we have natural players at the Club, but a lot of their skill is coached out of them. Safety first mentality...

Having people that have been around years, often leads to stagnation, and a better the devil you know attitude.

Judging your obvious lack of any inside knowledge to back this up this sounds a lot like change for change's sake.

I really do not see our Academy and reserves being that good. Yes we get the odd few come through, but the step up from Youth to First team seems to be very poor.

Our academy plys its trade in the FA Youth Premier League and turned over Arsenal the other week. We have 3 academy graduates in our starting eleven and are arguably some of our better players. The reserves is awful, but that's due to the poor quality of the league which is something SteveL/GJ were looking to address years ago to no avail.

Your telling me Brown Hill Lita etc never did anything for this club are you?

Just because we don't produce players that go on to become world player of the year doesn't mean there no good,

Matt Hill for example not the best footballer in the world yet people are screaming for us to resign him,

most of those players were league one standard yes but we've been in the championship what 3 years now?

its going to take 10 years before we start seeing championship/prem standard players coming through,

How many youth team players (15 - 17) do we have 25 30?, Prem clubs have over 150 and out of that 2 maybe 3 go on to play for the club,

I'm sure if you send your CV to Lansdown with all that football knowladge he'll give you a job in youth development as you seem to know better then our current staff,

In fact why don't you apply for the wales job there looking for a manager

I've probably come across recently, with some of my comments on here, as being perceived as very negative.

I also look at our backroom staff and wonder if we need a big shake up to move forward.

Alan Walsh (City legend that he is), Stuart Naylor, John Clayton, David Lee...All have cushy little numbers going on at City...But are they good enough for what we want?

It's bad enough that we have an inexperienced manager at this level and his assistant doesn't thrill me either. Ask any Southampton fan and the fact he's Stuart Pearces mate, will tell you how he ended up with the England under 21's :unsure:

Does anyone else think, for us to move forward, that we need a big shake up internally.

I personally do...as i think we are stagnating.

Any views....?

What is your evidence for all of this, and what makes you suggest that Alan Walsh, Stuart Naylor et al have 'cushy little numbers' going on? That strikes me as a bit offensive. They have jobs to do, which they may be doing well or doing badly, but I don't see what makes them cushy little numbers. And how do Southampton fans know how Steve Wigley got the job with England U-21s (although common sense suggests that managers prefer to have someone they know as their assistant)? This really strikes me as a complete non-issue.

Just opening up a debate lads, we all see things diferently, and i'm fed up of reading about the Stadium issues. Thought it would stir up some debate...

All i'm asking, is will what we have, take us to the next level? Yes i can see us being a lower championship side with everything we have, but nothing more i'm afraid.

Unless you give everyone at the Club a great big love in, then you're seen as being negative. Far from it. Just not wanting to settle for second best.

It's not rocket science to see the staff we have, lack very little experience from the top level. Most have learnt on the job at our level...hardly encouraging for the future imo.

Spudski you may as well save your breathe. When you read comments like

'Matt Hill for example not the best footballer in the world yet people are screaming for us to resign him'

It just makes you want to laugh. People want the club to move forward, possibly even become a Premier League outfit. They then argue that coaches with us now in the Championship that came with us from our League 2 and 1 days, are more than capable of doing the job. Suggesting they are not all up to the job is heresy to most people here, as the defacto the 'where's your proof' comments show.

Yes we need a bit of a shake up, we need one or two coaches to be added to our set up with top level experience (1990's-2010) to add something we seem to lack in our player development. I am not sure what people fear we will loose by doing this - other than a few bruised egos.

Spudski you may as well save your breathe. When you read comments like

'Matt Hill for example not the best footballer in the world yet people are screaming for us to resign him'

It just makes you want to laugh. People want the club to move forward, possibly even become a Premier League outfit. They then argue that coaches with us now in the Championship that came with us from our League 2 and 1 days, are more than capable of doing the job. Suggesting they are not all up to the job is heresy to most people here, as the defacto the 'where's your proof' comments show.

Yes we need a bit of a shake up, we need one or two coaches to be added to our set up with top level experience (1990's-2010) to add something we seem to lack in our player development. I am not sure what people fear we will loose by doing this - other than a few bruised egos.

We are reading from the same hymn sheet me thinks...

Your sentiments are spot on.

Like i've said before, if we wish to just wallow in this Division or heaven forbid, get relegated, then we've got no one else to blame but ourselves.

Because we have been fairly successfull at League 1 standard, then people feel things are ok. But at this level we really need to change things, or we will go to back to what we have been for the last 20 years.

Unfortunately, the ongoing Stadium issues are deflecting away, from what is really happening at the Club.

If we survive this season, then i feel a big shake up is needed.

Tbh...By the end of October i can see us being at least 5 points adrift at the bottom of this league. Things may need to change then. Lets hope i'm proved wrong, but i really can't see it myself.

Aaron Brown - At Darlington

Leroy Lita - At Middlesbrough

Matt Hill - Wolves, bench warmer

Danny Coles - Rovers

Tommy Dochs - Bradford

Joe Bunell - Bath

Ribs

Skuse,

If you look we havnt produced any Premier League quality as yet.

Ribs looks possible, but if clubs like crewe can do it why cant we?

All i'm asking, is will what we have, take us to the next level? Yes i can see us being a lower championship side with everything we have, but nothing more i'm afraid.

Unless you give everyone at the Club a great big love in, then you're seen as being negative. Far from it. Just not wanting to settle for second best.

It's not rocket science to see the staff we have, lack very little experience from the top level. Most have learnt on the job at our level...hardly encouraging for the future imo.

That's not what you or the other posters in this thread said. By all means make criticisms where they are due, but yours are in no way constructive as they're based on gaping assumptions of being inadequate being on 'cushy little numbers'. Based on what exactly? If you're talking about the current manager's reign; come back at christmas, or better yet when the season's finished and the positions count for anything. If you're doubting them under GJ's tenure, they took us to top 10 finishes every year since he joined, so pipe down about being a 'lower championship side' under them.

Not sure if being part of the backroom staff is cushy, such is the unpredictability of professional football they could all be out of a job tomorrow.

Like all of us...

Do you know how long they have been with us...?

I'm all for stability, but not stagnation. Under Millen, they'll have another 3 years not to worry about, i'm sure.

Anyway, it's good to have some debate other than the friggin Stadium. Cheers for the replies...

My view is that things can get a little stagnant and freshening up and turning over such staff can be good. But I cannot really offer too strong an opinion because I don't really know enough about the current setup. If players were critiscising the training then we would have something to really talk about. Player change and turnover keeps things fresh to a certain extent.

I must admit it would be great to have a squad made up of a higher proportion of home-grown players who have come through the ranks, and I am sure that was the vision of the academy, but it is balancing that against the immediate pressure of the modern day game and needing to sign to fix gaps.

I think the development of young players is a bigger subject and links between high player salaries and finances thwart the youth breaking through. There are also a number of debates about methodology, comparing teaching youngsters in this country to those employed on the continent for example.

Aaron Brown

Leroy Lita

Matt Hill

Danny Coles

Tommy Dochs

Joe Bunell

Ribs

Skuse,

A quibble, Lita was picked up when Chelsea released him, he is not a product of our Academy, please dont tar our academy with that gobby little shit.

Archived