IGNORED

That **** Coppell Is To Blame

Rob k

I think we all know why he HAD to leave Man City, but as Tom F has previously told me,if I put it up here,Coppell will sue Tom, and Coppells agent told Tom F that personally.

But SL did tell Copout to sign James,Its on here somewhere but I can't be arsed :innocent06: to find it....

Oh and not for 1 second am I implying that the same Man City scenario happened here.Well,not unless wants to PM me differently??

Yes the 'caught in the act' internet rumour. He left Man City due to ill-health, citing stress. I seriously don't think that rumour is true. SL suggested to Copout that David James might be available, which is different from signing him above his head.

A national newspaper- The Sun, I believe FWIW, stated that Coppell left over the signing of James.

I assume you're referring to this ...

http://www.thesun.co...avid-James.html

CS has said in an interview that this isn't true. I am more inclined to believe him than a newspaper that treated victims of the Hillsborough disaster with total contempt.

I don't understand how anyone can blame Coppell. He bailed out early after seeing the size of the task and realising he didn't have the heart and commitment to do it. Lansdown took the easy way out and appointed Millen. Millen wasn't good enough at the end of last season, yet all of a sudden after Coppell leaves, he's the best choice?

Would you have rather Coppell have stayed when his heart wasn't in it? Millen has a 3 year contract and no matter how bad it gets, he won't bail unless he's paid off by getting the push, so where will that leave us?

Close/Pre-season is the most important part of early/mid season....if you get it wrong (which the spineless one did....BIG TIME!!!) it can affect everything for the first 2/3 months.

Our pre-season planning was the worst ever at this football club and that was due to the spineless one not wanting to start work for 6 WEEKS!!!!.

BCAGFC

Guest Mr Mosquito

Our pre-season planning was the worst ever at this football club and that was due to the spineless one not wanting to start work for 6 WEEKS!!!!.

For the first time in years we didn't get a pre season friendly with Hereford United. They are now really struggling and so are we.

Close/Pre-season is the most important part of early/mid season....if you get it wrong (which the spineless one did....BIG TIME!!!) it can affect everything for the first 2/3 months.

BCAGFC

You are so right BCAGFC.looking back its pretty obvious it was going to end in tears. Coppell never looked interested but we all WANTED to believe so much we missed the plot. Right now i can't see a recovery route. You go bottom for a reason, and its not bad luck! The third goal against Norwich summed it up. I would expect more from a schoolboy team. JCR covering on the halfway line. A bad joke, especially as he hasn't made a decent tackle in the nine months hes been here. That is my concern, now. No shape, no team spirit, no leadership, no points!

Guest Parson St Station

Yes the 'caught in the act' internet rumour. He left Man City due to ill-health, citing stress. I seriously don't think that rumour is true. SL suggested to Copout that David James might be available, which is different from signing him above his head.

Thats the one InCider.I have a mate who's Man Citeh mad,even had his Vespa airbrushed in a Man C theme.The club were so impressed they let him ride it around Maine Rd at half-time.I don't think he's missed a match for a decade.

He knows the 'other party' and its 100% true.

Like I said ,not one iota of suspicion that happened here though.

I love a good conspiracy theory don't you? So much more exciting than the mundane truth.

Is it JUST possible that SC has health issues, that the time he spent away from football made him think he was better (Marcus Trescothik & England anyone?). He is given a route back into football by BCFC, takes the job but needs a good holiday to steel himself for it, feels good, I think I'm better, it's going to be OK, but then the MOMENT the pressure comes on - relapse.

FWIW (and I freely admit I know nothing) the Coppel/Trescocthik sagas have interesting parallels, Marcus played a blinder for Somerset and Somerset went to India for that wierd random tournament, Tresco believed he'd be fine, his family went along with him, he played a game out there (maybe two) did OK but BAM, had to come home early - sounds pretty similar to me.

I know nothing of the facts of this, I am the worst connected person on the planet, my explanation is not exciting or intriging (sp), no one will be asking me to pm them my source, BUT... the scenarios DO tally (they also Tally with what the Principals involved have actually said).

Boring as this is, it MIGHT be true.

For my part, I wish Steve Coppell well, health is FAR more important than money (especially if you have enough that you do not HAVE to work)

This club has been failing for two years, Coppell was hear for nothing but a heartveat of that time - look at the constants and see if you have your answers there.

I love a good conspiracy theory don't you? So much more exciting than the mundane truth.

Is it JUST possible that SC has health issues, that the time he spent away from football made him think he was better (Marcus Trescothik & England anyone?). He is given a route back into football by BCFC, takes the job but needs a good holiday to steel himself for it, feels good, I think I'm better, it's going to be OK, but then the MOMENT the pressure comes on - relapse.

FWIW (and I freely admit I know nothing) the Coppel/Trescocthik sagas have interesting parallels, Marcus played a blinder for Somerset and Somerset went to India for that wierd random tournament, Tresco believed he'd be fine, his family went along with him, he played a game out there (maybe two) did OK but BAM, had to come home early - sounds pretty similar to me.

I know nothing of the facts of this, I am the worst connected person on the planet, my explanation is not exciting or intriging (sp), no one will be asking me to pm them my source, BUT... the scenarios DO tally (they also Tally with what the Principals involved have actually said).

Boring as this is, it MIGHT be true.

For my part, I wish Steve Coppell well, health is FAR more important than money (especially if you have enough that you do not HAVE to work)

This club has been failing for two years, Coppell was hear for nothing but a heartveat of that time - look at the constants and see if you have your answers there.

This is probably the most sensible comment I have yet to read on the Coppell resignation - and in all likelihood the most accurate. The parallel with Trescothick is very apt.

Members on OTIB come from all walks of life. We have architects, lawyers, journalists, business people and who knows what else. I have refrained from mentioning it before, but my own professional background just happens to have been in a field related to mental health. Coppell exhibited a number of classic signs of being someone who struggled wth low mood and this was actually confirmed some years ago in a rare newspaper interview I read when he was manager of Reading, in which he openly acknowledged that he was prone to depressive episodes,especially when under pressure from poor results.

I think this accounts for most of the intuitive feelings expressed at the time by many on the forum, based on SC's withdrawn manner, that 'something's just not right here'. I doubt one needs to look any further for reasons for his departure and I think your analysis is sound. He would have hankered after involvment in the game that had been his life and which he must have missed terribly, was flattered and tempted by SL's offer, managed to convince himself he could hack it, and then discovered, sadly, that he couldn't.

And that's most likely all there is to it.

• Admin

This is probably the most sensible comment I have yet to read on the Coppell resignation - and in all likelihood the most accurate. The parallel with Trescothick is very apt.

Members on OTIB come from all walks of life. We have architects, lawyers, journalists, business people and who knows what else. I have refrained from mentioning it before, but my own professional background just happens to have been in a field related to mental health. Coppell exhibited a number of classic signs of being someone who struggled wth low mood and this was actually confirmed some years ago in a rare newspaper interview I read when he was manager of Reading, in which he openly acknowledged that he was prone to depressive episodes,especially when under pressure from poor results.

I think this accounts for most of the intuitive feelings expressed at the time by many on the forum, based on SC's withdrawn manner, that 'something's just not right here'. I doubt one needs to look any further for reasons for his departure and I think your analysis is sound. He would have hankered after involvment in the game that had been his life and which he must have missed terribly, was flattered and tempted by SL's offer, managed to convince himself he could hack it, and then discovered, sadly, that he couldn't.

And that's most likely all there is to it.

"And that's most likely all there is to it."

Probably true, but it seems a bit glib, when his action has had a profound effect on our club, his reluctance to get involved at the end of the season, the half hearted (thats the perception I got) pre-season, the signings that have been worse than the players they replaced.

I'm afraid we weren't in a strong postion before his appointment and he left us in a far worse position, I feel that he had doubts all along, its just a shame he took so long to admit them and walk.

I'll freely admit I have no understanding of mental health issues, but I do understand that the actions of Coppell have played a massive part in the current situation and ill feeling towards, Players, Manager and Chairman that is being expressed on this and other internet forums. Perhaps the club Dr should have spotted the signs? Maybe in future, prospective Managers should have medicals, but with emphasis on their mental suitablity, rather than physical as players.

But, thats all irrelevant now, the Players & Millen must find a solution and ensure our Championship survival, by whatever means necessary.

"And that's most likely all there is to it."

Probably true, but it seems a bit glib, when his action has had a profound effect on our club, his reluctance to get involved at the end of the season, the half hearted (thats the perception I got) pre-season, the signings that have been worse than the players they replaced.

I'm afraid we weren't in a strong postion before his appointment and he left us in a far worse position, I feel that he had doubts all along, its just a shame he took so long to admit them and walk.

I'll freely admit I have no understanding of mental health issues, but I do understand that the actions of Coppell have played a massive part in the current situation and ill feeling towards, Players, Manager and Chairman that is being expressed on this and other internet forums. Perhaps the club Dr should have spotted the signs? Maybe in future, prospective Managers should have medicals, but with emphasis on their mental suitablity, rather than physical as players.

But, thats all irrelevant now, the Players & Millen must find a solution and ensure our Championship survival, by whatever means necessary.

I apologise if I failed to make myself clear. There is, I can assure you, a part of me that would like to wring his bloody neck. He would have known he was taking a calculated gamble on whether he could cope and that gamble was taken at our expense. He may have felt he had little to lose and he'd have been largely correct about that, if you discount the impact on whatever reputation he stll had in the game. As a former professional, I can have every sympathy with his condition, assuming our conjectures to be correct, but he still has to take responsibility for his actions, unless he was so ill that his judgement was profoundly impaired, and I don't think the evidence suggests that.

What I meant when I said 'that's all there is to it' was that I don't think one needs to go looking for any other reason for his defection or indulging in conspiracy theorising. If we're talking consequences and not causes, that's another matter entirely. He dropped us in it, big time, and a lot of what's happened since has been down to the disruption caused by his sudden departure.

Hope that makes clear what I was trying to say and sorry for any confusion.

He took the job, took ages to start it and then let 2 players leave who have not been replaced, he then Fcked off leaving us in the brown stuff with a very inexperienced manager,

Were all blaming Millen but this bloke is getting off very lightly in my opinion. Hes as much to blame as anyone as were still getting players in which should have been done pre-season.

If i had Lansdowns Millions I'd sue the b*****d

He took the job, took ages to start it and then let 2 players leave who have not been replaced, he then Fcked off leaving us in the brown stuff with a very inexperienced manager,

Were all blaming Millen but this bloke is getting off very lightly in my opinion. Hes as much to blame as anyone as were still getting players in which should have been done pre-season.

to keep blaming coppell is clutching at straws a lttle dont you think?

what a load of horse shit, suffer fools gladly ? the ******* ****** left us in this shit after signing a right load of old bollocks on good money....... gutless ****** springs to mind.

Very eloquently put. Ahem. I agree in principle with what you are saying. His signings were/are shocking (bar Adomah). Makes you wonder exactly what input (if any) Keith had in their signings...

Archived