IGNORED

David James

Ben4BCFC

Right, before you all jump down my neck, this isn't another "James was a bad signing, he's useless blah blah blah" post.

In fact it's the opposite.

I think he was a fantastic signing, and I implore anybody who HONESTLY said when he signed "Well that's s#it"

But I just feel his presence is striking fear and nerves into our defence. We've never had a particularly rock solid back 4, the signs have been there for so many seasons, we just got lucky and shocked teams in our first season with grit and determination, had some more world class saves from Basso, then Gerken - despite the odd mistake which he got unfairly slated for last year - also saving us.

But now we've got a world class keeper, who is settling in to a new league which he has admitted is more unpredictable and more difficult to play in because players aren't all as sttrong in their positions as in the Prem.

But I think he just makes the defence nervous and in a time like this, that's not what they should be.

I don't think he should be dropped because he's a bad keeper, but he shouldn't be exempt because he's David James. I reckon Gerks should take the gloves next game, purely because the results wouldn't be any different if he had played, James hasn't made any match winning saves (despite his clean sheet at Burnley and few good saves at Scumthorpe) and maybe the defence might be a bit more comfortable.

Or am I simply clutching at straws?

No, David James' signing is not why our defence is shit.

And just to elaborate:

- Steve Wigley is not why we're bottom of the table.

- The stadium plan is not why we aren't in the playoffs.

- Loaning Akinde out is not why we can't score goals.

We have a shite defence because we are changing it too often, playing an idiotic system, and have a stunning lack of confidence caused by poor results, fear and lack of leadership on the pitch.

No, David James' signing is not why our defence is shit.

And just to elaborate:

- Steve Wigley is not why we're bottom of the table.

- The stadium plan is not why we aren't in the playoffs.

- Loaning Akinde out is not why we can't score goals.

We have a shite defence because we are changing it too often, playing an idiotic system, and have a stunning lack of confidence caused by poor results, fear and lack of leadership on the pitch.

A-BLOODY-MEN to that!!

That fear is what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is he is a good keeper, and he's done nothing wrong to our defence, but is the fear in our defence intensified because we have a keeper of his quality behind them when their confidence is already shot?

That fear is what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is he is a good keeper, and he's done nothing wrong to our defence, but is the fear in our defence intensified because we have a keeper of his quality behind them when their confidence is already shot?

It doesn't make any sense to me, I can't see why anybody would be less confident playing in front of a quality keeper.

There are all sorts of esoteric theories on this forum, I suspect the real problems are actually the simple and obvious ones.

In our play-off season we had a group of very average players that knew each others game playing a system they understood. Our problem this season is, we brought in lots of new players to late in the summer, they didn't have time to gel.....and we've been on the back-foot ever since. We've chopped and changed personel and tactics to find a winning formula, and this has compacted the situation. Hence our league position. We really need to keep to a settled team now, without changing tactics. The problem with this is when we continue to lose ( which is highly probable) , supporters demand changes and pressure will mount on KM to make changes.....i think KM needs to be strong enough to stick with what he considers to be his striongest 11 win or lose, and hope they gel quickly enough to start gaining points. I believe the squad we have now contains, higher quality players than we had in our first play-off season....time is still on our side.....but we need results sooner than later.........and we need 3 other sides to be worse than ours!!!! I would also like to add that come Jan...we desperately need a leader in midfield imho.

I think the problem with DJ is that he constantly berates the defence rather than calmly directs them or instructs them. I'd expect a goalkeeper to lose his rag with this defence every so often but DJ seems to have tantrum fits directed at which ever defender is in earshot about five to ten times a game. It must make them nervous and fear of failure is never good for performance in any sport. . It's a big contrast from the positive contribution Basso made to team spirit before the silly stuff started.

Nibor - I think the original post does have a logic which has been overlooked.

As fans we loaded DJ with an expectancy which he hasn't been able to deliver on, but it's been one domino in a sequence of events that have contrived to throw the club into turmoil.

Now we aren't party to the relationships within the dressing room, but we all are capable of forming an opinion based on simple observation and my opinion tends to point towards a player who hasn't integrated very well.

Is it because he's used to the higher altitude of prem & international football who knows, he doesn't look comfortable and the defence don't look comfortable around him.

On a purely goalkeeping level I have been disappointed by his ability to let the ball bounce off him, rather than gathering it. It's costs us goals, pure and simple.

He also doesn't appear to command the area in a way I would expect of a keeper of his calibre and he does berate rather than encourage from what I can see of him.

Archived