IGNORED

Does Lansdown Have The Strength To Sack Millen...

fenric

Reading everything around it seems clear Lansdown will stand by Millen for a good period of time yet, so i am i right in thinking that Lansdown has never sacked anyone at BCFC?

To my (slightly sometimes dodgy) memory Danny Wilson walked (well, was made to walk if we believe the scuttlebutt from the time)

Tins resigned

GJ was 'mutual'

CopOut was a basket case timewaster

so the question is...

Does Lansdown have the balls to actually outright SACK someone?

Reading everything around it seems clear Lansdown will stand by Millen for a good period of time yet, so i am i right in thinking that Lansdown has never sacked anyone at BCFC?

To my (slightly sometimes dodgy) memory Danny Wilson walked (well, was made to walk if we believe the scuttlebutt from the time)

Tins resigned

GJ was 'mutual'

so the question is...

Im fairly sure if he thought someone was incompetent then he would sack them. I am guessing he has probably done this in his professional career more than once. I would also suggest that he isn't prone to knee jerk reactions.

Trust me when the chips are down, he will do the dead if he's needed to. You dont get to where Steve Lansdown has got by being a schrinking violet. From watching his interview post Norwich, I believe that he believes Millen will turn it around. I think that the pointhe is trying to make is that its virtually a whole new squad of players that nee dtime to gel. If you look at it on paper, there is no reason why we are in this position, Is Millen really to blame or is it the fact of things havent gelled as quickly as they should have for whatever reason ?

Leaving by Mutual consent is just way of saying 'left whilst keeping face, else will be sacked' - Steve seems to favour giving people the chance to leave (in the certain knowledge that they will be forced to leave if they do not) thus people save some face, left as opposed to sacked looks better on your CV.

Tins resigned

GJ was 'mutual'

so the question is...

SL does his business in pvt, much like his transfer deals. He'll have a little word, tell 'em I 'advise' a resignation, give 'em a few quid, bye bye quietly, that's his style.

here we go again................

It does your head in, doesn't it? How many more bloody times? Try asking around the local business community in Bristol whether he's got a tough streak or not. A bloke like him doesn't get where he is by being a soft touch.

He tries where possible to let departing managers leave with a bit of dignity intact. Think about it. It makes sense. It's good for the reputation of the club and sends the message he's a good chairman to work for. But don't for one moment think he won't give somebody the bullet if he thinks it's called for. He hasn't ploughed millions into the thing just to ket it go tits up by being too nice.

Lansdown will do what he wants to do when he feels the time is right to do so, not before! people forget this guy is woth mega mega bucks, somthing like 500 million? now he hasnt earned that fortune by being soft i can assure you! to earn that sort of money you have to have somthing about you.

I really wonder about Steve - his comments when Coppell left were bizarre. It was as though, even when the bloke had sh*t on us, that SL felt grateful for the experience. He should have been furious in public - not just in private - and made it clear that BCFC was not going to be treated like that by anybody.

on the other hand, i suppose he wont want to be seen in the public as a chairman that sacks for the sake of it, ie Milan Manderic (sp) at Leicester.

Public perception is irrelevant and would be the worst possible reason not to make a change now. Leicester have Sven, we have KM. Whatever you think of Sven, he's a better manager than Millen and you can be pretty certain Leicester will finish top half with him in charge.

If we sacked Millen now and replaced him with Megson/Pardew/Mowbray, it would make a few paragraphs in the national press and would be tomorrow's chip paper.

Truth is, we are a club with zero national profile and should be free to do whatever we like.

Public perception is irrelevant and would be the worst possible reason not to make a change now. Leicester have Sven, we have KM. Whatever you think of Sven, he's a better manager than Millen and you can be pretty certain Leicester will finish top half with him in charge.

If we sacked Millen now and replaced him with Megson/Pardew/Mowbray, it would make a few paragraphs in the national press and would be tomorrow's chip paper.

Truth is, we are a club with zero national profile and should be free to do whatever we like.

You're right in saying public perception is irrelevant. The perceptions of people within the game is a rather different matter - especially the perceptions of the bloke you might like to appoint as your next manager.

Have no doubt that Lansdown would sack Millen if he thought that was right decision for the club. Familiarity wouldn't come into it.

No-one gets to be as sucessfull as Steve Lansdown is without the ability to make tough calls. Every self made man has a ruthless streak and our chairman is no exception.

I know a couple of blokes who came accross Lansdown in their professional lives in the past. Both said he has the skin of a rhino and is tough man who never takes prisoners.

Lansdown will do what he wants to do when he feels the time is right to do so, not before! people forget this guy is woth mega mega bucks, somthing like 500 million? now he hasnt earned that fortune by being soft i can assure you! to earn that sort of money you have to have somthing about you.

Mike Ashley was worth a lot of money and yet he ran Newcastle into the ground for a couple of seasons- do the two- i.e. business prowess and football club running nous, necessarily go wholly hand in hand? Not calling for Lansdown to go or anything along those lines though of course.

You're right in saying public perception is irrelevant. The perceptions of people within the game is a rather different matter - especially the perceptions of the bloke you might like to appoint as your next manager.

exactly

that's what i meant to say in my earlier post.

Have to agree that SL wouldnt get anywhere in his business without being strong minded. Also agree that it is better to air club business in house rather than through the back pages. I am not knocking SL's dedication or aptitude, i also agree that knee jerk decisions are usually wrong - but KM's appointment struck me as a knee jerk, his removal wouldn't be. I hope that the problems the club are facing on and off the pitch won't sour our relationship with SL or his resolve to take the club forward, certainly this feels like the biggest test SL has faced while chairman.

SL does his business in pvt, much like his transfer deals. He'll have a little word, tell 'em I 'advise' a resignation, give 'em a few quid, bye bye quietly, that's his style.

Thats probably right. He is a respectful business man. Not a Tango Jordan work-a-like.

There are some decent rich guys about and one owns our club.

So if anyone would expect him to jump out to the press with some controversial shit it won't happen!

Tins resigned

GJ was 'mutual'

so the question is...

I think he does after QPR he will be sacked if the results continue in the same nature

If the EP is to be believed, he won't walk. This could be suicidal, if SL stands by him, and KM digs in....

Keith Millen has not built a reputation like GJ, so will find it difficult to manage another club; like Gary.

Keith Millen has a 3 yr contract, worth £xxxx

Keith Millen has a family

What club will take him if he leaves us?

Forget the 'I have never walked away from anything.......' line. If I was in Keith's shoes, I would not walk either, it would be comitting finacial suicide.

IMO KM will not walk from BCFC he will have to be pushed, the only way he could go in an amicable manner would be if SL and KM have a gentlemans agreement.

All of course caveated with IMO.

Archived