IGNORED

Which City Team Was Best?

Onthefence

------------------------------------Cashley------------------------------------

Sweeney-------------Collier------------Merrick----------------Drysdale

-------------Tainton ---------Gow----------Mann-----------------------

------------Ritchie------Cheesley----------Whitehead------------

1976 - These lads did win the ultimate prize of top flight football

*5 players played EVERY single game that season (Cashley,Gow. Merick,Ritchie,Tainton)

*5 BRISTOL born lads (Cashley,Collier,Merrick,Tainton,Cheesley)

* 7 came through the YOUTH team (Cashley,Collier,Merrick,Tainton,Gow,Ritchie,Whitehead)

only 3 cost any money : (Cheesley £30K, Drysdale £10K, Sweeney £22k - Jimmy Mann was a free transfer from Leeds)

Makes you think doesn't it?

Oh - and 4 of them tore up their contracts to SAVE the club

CodeRed

Best i've seen, CodeRed. Wouldn' mind having them all out bthere for the next game!

Whilst we are going down Memory Lane, probably my favourite player from that mid-1970's team was the fiery Scot Gerry Gow. What a competitor he was.

Oh to be able to wind back the clock and drop him (as he was then) into our sadly lacking midfield today.

Anyone know what he is up to today ? I vaguely rememember he had some sort of coaching job with Yeovil Town.

Gerry Gow was one of the best City players in my time, all round midfield player, tough tackler, good passer and tremendous stamina, not too mention a few goals most seasons and four of his seasons with us at the highest level.

And yet, in a feature on him in a matchday programme his pet hate was:- "the group of blokes in the enclosure (former standing area in the lower Williams) who give me stick every week"! - good to know that some things don't change. :disapointed2se:

Yep, not half. In fact, the more you think about it, the more you realise the quality we had throughout the side. Jordan deserved enormous credit for assembling that team without a huge amount of money to spend. No Steve Lansdown in those days. I would add the name of David Rennie. Often derided for looking slow and ponderous (to some, at least), he was a cracking footballer and it was not for nothing that Coventry later signed him to play at the top level for several seasons.

Gavin, Smith, Taylor, Morgan, Shelton., Rennie, Newman... Bloody hell, what a side. It's always difficult to compare teams across time because the game has changed so much, but you could make a strong case that that lot would have cut it in the modern CCC. They'd certainly put the current team in the shade, of that I feel sure.

I agree, Im too young to remember our time in the top flight and obviously the team we had 3 years ago performed wonders but this side are my favourite by far probably because we seemed so powerful going forward, not just because of Taylor and Turner but also David Smith (I could be wrong but didnt Nicky Morgan come along a bit later, about 91/92?) very exciting team to watch, especially for an 11 year old allowed on his own to AG with my mates for the first time

I agree, Im too young to remember our time in the top flight and obviously the team we had 3 years ago performed wonders but this side are my favourite by far probably because we seemed so powerful going forward, not just because of Taylor and Turner but also David Smith (I could be wrong but didnt Nicky Morgan come along a bit later, about 91/92?) very exciting team to watch, especially for an 11 year old allowed on his own to AG with my mates for the first time

If my memory serves me well Nicky Morgan was signed along with Junior Bent just before the transfer deadline to bolster the promotion push with Bob Taylor injured.

Must agree with you and others about "Smudger" Smith, must have been as a quick as Ivan/Scotty but with a better end product (not including Scottie's brilliant goals tally season).

He just seemed to get the ball around the half way line on the left, beat the right back for sheer pace and deliver a ball from the by-line which, even if not always a pin-point cross, always seemed to cause chaos in the opposition defence.

Mark Gavin did not have the same pace but a good deal of trickery and guile (think of McIndoe in his first season with us but on the right).

Guest Parson St Station

------------------------------------Cashley------------------------------------

*5 players played EVERY single game that season (Cashley,Gow. Merick,Ritchie,Tainton)

* 7 came through the YOUTH team (Cashley,Collier,Merrick,Tainton,Gow,Ritchie,Whitehead)

only 3 cost any money : (Cheesley £30K, Drysdale £10K, Sweeney £22k - Jimmy Mann was a free transfer from Leeds)

CodeRed

I was lucky enough to see all the home games and most away with these wonderful players.Undoubtedly the best City team ever.

Some of those away days were bloody scary back then......darts,sharpened coins condoms full of piss. Yikes! :shocking:

------------------------------------Cashley------------------------- -----------

CodeRed

Great days...Great players!

I think however Gary Johnson's early team was my favourite, the first championship season, I really felt a connection as a fan with GJ as manager, he gave City an identity and loved the club throughout. so that would have to be my best City team

I began following BC and watching some matches on TV that season,and that team was great,had good results and also played well . Unfortunately, after that sad and unlucky playoffs final, the results and the quality-way of playing of thea team has become worse every year (considering the matches I saw ,the reports and the comments on this forum) :(

John Ward's promotion side is probably the best in my city lifetime.

Goater and Cramb up front was a class pairing

Midfield of Greg goodridge, Edwards, Owers, Tinman

Defence - Locke, Taylor (damn his injury), Carey, Bell

And Freddy Mercury's twin himself Keith Welch in goal

mix of good attacking football and a quality defence.

as mentioned above, had it not been for taylor's injury at the end of the season, who knows where we may be now.

John Ward's promotion side is probably the best in my city lifetime.

Goater and Cramb up front was a class pairing

Midfield of Greg goodridge, Edwards, Owers, Tinman

Don't want to be picky but Tommy Doherty played in the majority of games in CM rather than Gary Owers, who only played a handful of games. Matt Hewlett played a good deal of games in CM as well, not forgetting Scotty starting his City career in the 2nd half of the season. (or Steve Torpey)

Don't want to be picky but Tommy Doherty played in the majority of games in CM rather than Gary Owers, who only played a handful of games. Matt Hewlett played a good deal of games in CM as well, not forgetting Scotty starting his City career in the 2nd half of the season. (or Steve Torpey)

i had to go out and those names just came off top of my head.

but yeah i agree with what you say.

Archived