IGNORED

Which City Team Was Best?

Onthefence

Well being a City fan right now is no fun thats for sure!

I have followed City since the mid 70s and was lucky enough to see them promoted into the old first division. I stood by them when the were relegated 3 consecutive seasons and proped up the league.

There have been some wonderful players at the club during my time, but I still think the best team we had - or at least the one I enjoyed watching the most was the promotion winning team of 1989/90 and the season or two either side of that. I would happily slot the likes of Rob Newman, Alan Walsh, Bob Taylor into our current squad to name but a few.

I also have watched city since the late 60,s and have been thrilled by the players..galley...garland ..sharpe..spiring... skirton et al, but the best team was the ones who tore up theyre contracts to enable the club to survive. how many of todays squad would do that

I also have watched city since the late 60,s and have been thrilled by the players..galley...garland ..sharpe..spiring... skirton et al, but the best team was the ones who tore up theyre contracts to enable the club to survive. how many of todays squad would do that

Nice thought!

Sharpe Spiring and Skirton are rarely mentioned on here...

How about a nod in the direction of a few more who are rarely mentioned such as...Emmanuel, Brolly, Gibson, Cashley, any other offers!

I also have watched city since the late 60,s and have been thrilled by the players..galley...garland ..sharpe..spiring... skirton et al,

Peter Spiring hardly did anything for us did he?

Came in to replace Chris Garland then snapped up by Shankly at Liverpool not that long afterwards if I remember rightly.

Well I've only really been a supporter since 1996 so I cant concur with anything as previous as the other posts, but I think in terms of enjoyment, the side that Danny Wilson had in 2002/03 where we lost to Cardiff in the play-off semi was a favourite of mine with the likes of Murray,Tinnion etc,,, you always turned up at Ashton Gate knowing that you were going to see a display of attacking football, I remember that we were unbeatable at home at the time, also I liked John Wards promotion winning side of 97/98.

I think however Gary Johnson's early team was my favourite, the first championship season, I really felt a connection as a fan with GJ as manager, he gave City an identity and loved the club throughout. so that would have to be my best City team

Tom Ritchie and Geoff Merrick rejected a joint move to Arsenal during our promotion season.

They could have left then for far bigger wages and top league football but chose to stay and battle their way there with BCFC.

Geoff Merrick was rewarded by having the honour of Captaining City to promotion, and, of course, Tom's love for the club was confirmed again when he returned to play for us in the lower divisions.

Two absolute City stalwarts, and along with the likes of Sweeney and Chris Garland, we won't see their like again.

The way I remember it Spiring had only made a handful of appearances for City prior to Garland's departure to Chelsea, and probably had never scored for us.

He had been seen mainly as a winger but we had been well off for wingers with the likes of Skirton, Trevor Tainton and Gerry Sharpe, so was very much a youngster, and an occasional filler-in.

Post Garland Dicks tried him up front as a direct replacement and he had a reasonable appearance and scoring record over the next year or so with 16 goals in 49 apps.

I think we were all very surprised when Liverpool offered £60k. for him out of the blue as he hadn't made such a big impression that we thought he was potentially First Division quality.

As it says on your link, he didn't make a go of it at Anfield and was quickly sold on to Luton, and spent the bulk of his career in the lower divisions with Hereford.

Interesting old name though, and as it turned out, a very good bit of business by City.

I'm trying to think who might have replaced him in the City team - presumably that's about the time Tom Ritchie became a regular?dunno.gif

------------------------------------Cashley------------------------------------

Sweeney-------------Collier------------Merrick----------------Drysdale

-------------Tainton ---------Gow----------Mann-----------------------

------------Ritchie------Cheesley----------Whitehead------------

1976 - These lads did win the ultimate prize of top flight football

*5 players played EVERY single game that season (Cashley,Gow. Merick,Ritchie,Tainton)

*5 BRISTOL born lads (Cashley,Collier,Merrick,Tainton,Cheesley)

* 7 came through the YOUTH team (Cashley,Collier,Merrick,Tainton,Gow,Ritchie,Whitehead)

only 3 cost any money : (Cheesley £30K, Drysdale £10K, Sweeney £22k - Jimmy Mann was a free transfer from Leeds)

Makes you think doesn't it?

Oh - and 4 of them tore up their contracts to SAVE the club

CodeRed

Agree with the OP - 89/90 was my fav team. I was only 16, I think that we all go back to our younger days when thinking of our fav teams, don't we? They are real 'heroes' at that age, and I guess back then a contract meant more than it does now, made them easier to 'worship'! Played some wonderful stuff that season, would love to see that kind of football down the Gate nowadays!

As for Gerry Sharpe, his brother was the MD of the company I done my apprenticeship at. The MD told me a great story about the night Gerry broke his leg, involving my old man having a Middlesboro (I think it was Boro we were playing?) fan round the neck for clapping the challenge. Big lad my Dad was, but denied all knowledge of the story in front of my Mum that night when I asked! He tipped me the wink later on to confirm he done it though! And to think he used to watch me like a hawk in the old Open End to make sure me and my mates weren't flipping the away fans the bird when he started taking me down!

Well being a City fan right now is no fun thats for sure!

I have followed City since the mid 70s and was lucky enough to see them promoted into the old first division. I stood by them when the were relegated 3 consecutive seasons and proped up the league.

There have been some wonderful players at the club during my time, but I still think the best team we had - or at least the one I enjoyed watching the most was the promotion winning team of 1989/90 and the season or two either side of that. I would happily slot the likes of Rob Newman, Alan Walsh, Bob Taylor into our current squad to name but a few.

I'm absolutely in agreement with you about that side. Although you have to give prominence to the marvellous achievements of the Alan Dicks team in the seventies, Jordan's team played arguably the most exciting attacking football I've seen from a City side and I found them exhilarating to watch.

I have just one doubt about your OP, though. I don't think Walshy played in that team, did he? I rather think it was Jordan who decided to let him go, for which it took me some time to forgive him, as Walsh was, and is, an all-time favourite of mine. But am I not right in saying Dave Smith was our left winger in Jordan's promotion-winning team? Anyone remember this?

I'm absolutely in agreement with you about that side. Although you have to give prominence to the marvellous achievements of the Alan Dicks team in the seventies, Jordan's team played arguably the most exciting attacking football I've seen from a City side and I found them exhilarating to watch.

I have just one doubt about your OP, though. I don't think Walshy played in that team, did he? I rather think it was Jordan who decided to let him go, for which it took me some time to forgive him, as Walsh was, and is, an all-time favourite of mine. But am I not right in saying Dave Smith was our left winger in Jordan's promotion-winning team? Anyone remember this?

You are correct. Walshy left us to go to Turkey prior to the start of the glorious 1989-90 season. Dave Smith and Mark Gavin were our wingers in that season.

The way I remember it Spiring had only made a handful of appearances for City prior to Garland's departure to Chelsea, and probably had never scored for us.

He had been seen mainly as a winger but we had been well off for wingers with the likes of Skirton, Trevor Tainton and Gerry Sharpe, so was very much a youngster, and an occasional filler-in.

Post Garland Dicks tried him up front as a direct replacement and he had a reasonable appearance and scoring record over the next year or so with 16 goals in 49 apps.

I think we were all very surprised when Liverpool offered £60k. for him out of the blue as he hadn't made such a big impression that we thought he was potentially First Division quality.

As it says on your link, he didn't make a go of it at Anfield and was quickly sold on to Luton, and spent the bulk of his career in the lower divisions with Hereford.

Interesting old name though, and as it turned out, a very good bit of business by City.

I'm trying to think who might have replaced him in the City team - presumably that's about the time Tom Ritchie became a regular?dunno.gif

Peter broke his leg very badly on his debut for Liverpool (possibly Liverpool reserves if the stats are correct), if I remember rightly, and was never quite the same player again.

Fear and Ritchie were breaking through at the time and we also brought in Bobby Gould...If I remember rightly (again)..Like you I'm getting on now!!

You are correct. Walshy left us to go to Turkey prior to the start of the glorious 1989-90 season. Dave Smith and Mark Gavin were our wingers in that season.

Thanks for confirming I was not having a senior moment there.

And just while we're on the subject of that particular team, I thought an often forgotten member of the squad, Nicky Morgan, was a terrific player. Anyone remember him?

Definitely Dave Smith. Used to love his battles with Alexander (the Scottish thug of a right back that played for the Gas at the time).

Gary Shelton was absolutely superb that season - what I'd give for a central midfielder of his quality down at the Gate currently.

Yep, not half. In fact, the more you think about it, the more you realise the quality we had throughout the side. Jordan deserved enormous credit for assembling that team without a huge amount of money to spend. No Steve Lansdown in those days. I would add the name of David Rennie. Often derided for looking slow and ponderous (to some, at least), he was a cracking footballer and it was not for nothing that Coventry later signed him to play at the top level for several seasons.

Gavin, Smith, Taylor, Morgan, Shelton., Rennie, Newman... Bloody hell, what a side. It's always difficult to compare teams across time because the game has changed so much, but you could make a strong case that that lot would have cut it in the modern CCC. They'd certainly put the current team in the shade, of that I feel sure.

------------------------------------Cashley------------------------------------

Sweeney-------------Collier------------Merrick----------------Drysdale

-------------Tainton ---------Gow----------Mann-----------------------

------------Ritchie------Cheesley----------Whitehead------------

1976 - These lads did win the ultimate prize of top flight football

*5 players played EVERY single game that season (Cashley,Gow. Merick,Ritchie,Tainton)

*5 BRISTOL born lads (Cashley,Collier,Merrick,Tainton,Cheesley)

* 7 came through the YOUTH team (Cashley,Collier,Merrick,Tainton,Gow,Ritchie,Whitehead)

only 3 cost any money : (Cheesley £30K, Drysdale £10K, Sweeney £22k - Jimmy Mann was a free transfer from Leeds)

Makes you think doesn't it?

Oh - and 4 of them tore up their contracts to SAVE the club

CodeRed

Spot on Code Red. This IMO was the best City side ever.

A very balanced side who all precisely knew their roles in the side and worked hard for each other (and Alan Dicks) to achieve success.

Happy Memories !

Thanks for confirming I was not having a senior moment there.

And just while we're on the subject of that particular team, I thought an often forgotten member of the squad, Nicky Morgan, was a terrific player. Anyone remember him?

Too right Cliff. I often say that you could have gone for a cup of tea when Nicky recieved the ball and he'd still be holding it up when you got back (I exaggerate of course)!

30 grand from Stoke as I recall. In my book, the best value for money signing City have made in my time. :worship2:

Yep, not half. In fact, the more you think about it, the more you realise the quality we had throughout the side. Jordan deserved enormous credit for assembling that team without a huge amount of money to spend. No Steve Lansdown in those days. I would add the name of David Rennie. Often derided for looking slow and ponderous (to some, at least), he was a cracking footballer and it was not for nothing that Coventry later signed him to play at the top level for several seasons.

Gavin, Smith, Taylor, Morgan, Shelton., Rennie, Newman... Bloody hell, what a side. It's always difficult to compare teams across time because the game has changed so much, but you could make a strong case that that lot would have cut it in the modern CCC. They'd certainly put the current team in the shade, of that I feel sure.

Not to mention Humphries and Turner for the no nonsense approach!! :winner_third_h4h:

think it was bobby gould

Whilst we are going down Memory Lane, probably my favourite player from that mid-1970's team was the fiery Scot Gerry Gow. What a competitor he was.

Oh to be able to wind back the clock and drop him (as he was then) into our sadly lacking midfield today.

Anyone know what he is up to today ? I vaguely rememember he had some sort of coaching job with Yeovil Town.

think it was bobby gould

You're right Kel.

72/73 season: Spiring 25 +2 sub apps,, 7 goals. sold to Liverpool for £60k.

Gould 22 apps., 10 goals. Signed from West Brom for £70k.

Gould sold on to West Ham the next season, again for £70k. after a total of 44 apps., and 21 goals, a very good record..

But Tom Ritchie also emerged in 72/73 with 25 apps + 8 subs, and became a regular in 73/74, though thinking back he was more of a gangly midfielder at that stage and didn't really convert successfully to a striker until 75/76 ( promotion ) season alongside Cheese.

Archived