IGNORED

Nostalgia

LongwellRed

Some crackers, and the afore mentioned Paul Mardon v Forest, Clive Whitehead v Pompey and Louis Donowa v Gas deserve special recognition. A goal that brought the house down one night was greeted initially with a.... stunned silence, followed by Me (and others in the East) going absolutely mental was scored by Ralph Milne. Ive forgotten the opponents, I forgot who put the ball across, but Ralphie was the coolest man on the park. 99% of players would have blasted the ball 10 foot over or made the back of the net bulge with an absolute sidewinder as Ralphie met the ball on the volley (or did he). He sidefooted the ball home - right in front of the East End to an initial stunned silence. I'm not sure we believed what we saw. We ALL expected a howitzer - the ball arrived in the back of the net in slow mo. Unreal goal, and one I'll fondly remember.

Some crackers, and the afore mentioned Paul Mardon v Forest, Clive Whitehead v Pompey and Louis Donowa v Gas deserve special recognition. A goal that brought the house down one night was greeted initially with a.... stunned silence, followed by Me (and others in the East) going absolutely mental was scored by Ralph Milne. Ive forgotten the opponents, I forgot who put the ball across, but Ralphie was the coolest man on the park. 99% of players would have blasted the ball 10 foot over or made the back of the net bulge with an absolute sidewinder as Ralphie met the ball on the volley (or did he). He sidefooted the ball home - right in front of the East End to an initial stunned silence. I'm not sure we believed what we saw. We ALL expected a howitzer - the ball arrived in the back of the net in slow mo. Unreal goal, and one I'll fondly remember.

Probably his first v Palace in the League Cup ?

Truly massive away support that shocks and silences the home fans from the start and then.... things just go totally mental...

No. 2 Paul Marden (and I've got that game on tape- played when I've had a few too many)

but nothing could beat .....

No 1 Donnie Gillies (and being in their open end ... icing on the cake)

You had to be there.

Tinnion's at Anfield looked awesome on the TV and would be rivaling the above.

Roberts V Hartlepool for me it was an amazing feeling and i was still buzzing the following day........ its crazy how things can change so much in a couple of minutes!!!

That goal stayed with me for a particularly long time. After going to Hartlepool for the away match I watched the home leg in London in Picadilly. The place went mental when the goal went in and I ended up with a couple of broken ribs!

Guest Parson St Station

Soren Anderson v Sunderland....didn't seem to have an inch of pulling his leg back to shoot but there it was, 30 meters away in the top corner.We all went mental and the Sunderland mob generously applauded what was a wonder goal.

Maynard v QPR wasn't too shabby either!

Paul Agostino against the Gas at AG, in a 2-0 (i think) win. Ago picked it up on the Dolman side just inside the Rovers half, cut inside two players from the wing and then beat the keeper, 1-0. It's weird, can't remember the season and I am not convinced it was 2-0 but I'm fairly sure it was, a Goater penalty maybe the second goal?? Which brings me to my second favourite, away at Watford in JW's promotion season. Watford were top, think we were 7 behind at this point and out to prove we should be up there. Goater was sent through, bounding down on goal advancing to the sold out City end and it seemed to go in slow motion and take an age but he plonked the ball firmly in the net and chaos began. Watford drew level with a few minutes remaining but that game proved we were good for promotion challenges that year and we were.

Also remember Murray's cup equaliser against Boro and his mental running celebration fondly, and Showumni's header away at Coventry in the Cup during the promotion season.

Macca's freekick, as mentioned above was one of the biggest 'relief' goals ever, the tension in that game against palace was almost unbearable even watching it on the TV until he screamed it in. A brief mental run around the house was followed by a long period of quiet, thank god, reflection.

Soren Anderson v Sunderland....didn't seem to have an inch of pulling his leg back to shoot but there it was, 30 meters away in the top corner.We all went mental and the Sunderland mob generously applauded what was a wonder goal.

Haha, that was the most one sided game I had ever seen. Sunderland battered us, and I believe missed a penalty, numerous sitters and our keeper (I'm going to kick myself for forgetting who it was) was in superb form. Wasn't that equaliser our only shot of the game? At least on target anyway.

Maynard v QPR wasn't too shabby either!

Was watching the Sunderland game at The Bush Totterdown, the pub also went mental.

Haha, that was the most one sided game I had ever seen. Sunderland battered us, and I believe missed a penalty, numerous sitters and our keeper (I'm going to kick myself for forgetting who it was) was in superb form. Wasn't that equaliser our only shot of the game? At least on target anyway.

Was it Keith Welch?

Didn't Rovers go ahead after about 10 seconds in this one? Pretty sure I remember Beadle scoring for us just after half time or something. And the run from Brown was about 100 yards.. brilliant.

Yeah, literally within seconds. I think this is my earliest memory of us playing Rovers. I'm pretty sure it was the first Red N' White night as well, live on SKY possibly?

Paul Agostino against the Gas at AG, in a 2-0 (i think) win. Ago picked it up on the Dolman side just inside the Rovers half, cut inside two players from the wing and then beat the keeper, 1-0. It's weird, can't remember the season and I am not convinced it was 2-0 but I'm fairly sure it was, a Goater penalty maybe the second goal?? Which brings me to my second favourite, away at Watford in JW's promotion season. Watford were top, think we were 7 behind at this point and out to prove we should be up there. Goater was sent through, bounding down on goal advancing to the sold out City end and it seemed to go in slow motion and take an age but he plonked the ball firmly in the net and chaos began. Watford drew level with a few minutes remaining but that game proved we were good for promotion challenges that year and we were.

Also remember Murray's cup equaliser against Boro and his mental running celebration fondly, and Showumni's header away at Coventry in the Cup during the promotion season.

Macca's freekick, as mentioned above was one of the biggest 'relief' goals ever, the tension in that game against palace was almost unbearable even watching it on the TV until he screamed it in. A brief mental run around the house was followed by a long period of quiet, thank god, reflection.

Drew the game 1-1.

Believe it may have been a beadle equaliser for the gas in the last minute - twas the game where city fans ran on pitch and chased gas players off.

Roberts goal against Hartlepool, was thinking of pegging it down the stairs. thought better of it.

Mcindoes free kick, just put my head in my hands in delight.

Alvaro Saborios goal in the 95th minute against Sheff U, jumped over to the next row, anyone remember what happened next? :badmood::badmood:

Oh and Lee Peacocks fluke goal against Plymouth in 2004 in the 87th minute, was just saying "oh my god" for the next 5 minutes.

Oh what does football do to us. :igiveup::igiveup:

Was it Keith Welch?

Yes it was, I remember a double save he pulled off, all be it with a slice of luck. It was a bit like Dudeks double save for Liverpool in the final against Milan.

Drew the game 1-1.

Believe it may have been a beadle equaliser for the gas in the last minute - twas the game where city fans ran on pitch and chased gas players off.

Argh, possibly why I can't remember the games end, most of the aftermath would have been all about the trouble. Where am I getting a 2-0 win with a Goater penalty from? It rings a bell for some reason.....Agostino really was IMO one of the best players we have had at AG, was so annoyed to see him go for nothing.

Guest Parson St Station

Correct sir, it was the only shot from us either on or off target.....but what a goal!

Could not believe it, and again I have to say, fair play to the Sunderland fans that applauded.

Anyone remember what we paid for Soren?

Yes it was, I remember a double save he pulled off, all be it with a slice of luck. It was a bit like Dudeks double save for Liverpool in the final against Milan.

Argh, possibly why I can't remember the games end, most of the aftermath would have been all about the trouble. Where am I getting a 2-0 win with a Goater penalty from? It rings a bell for some reason.....Agostino really was IMO one of the best players we have had at AG, was so annoyed to see him go for nothing.

We did beat the gas 2-0 at AG around that time but Im not sure what season it was (96/97 I think)

that's actually my most enjoyable away day ever - what an atmosphere ! (but didn't Walshy score ??)

I have been corrected, it was indeed Mr Walsh that scored that night, Carl Shutt scored away at Sheff Utd in the play off game where we SENT THEM DOWN on their own patch. Must have passed about 100 coaches or mini buses coming home with smashed glass.

Good times!

A couple of McCombe headers for me

An equalizer to make it 2-2 away at Middlesbrough in extra time in the cup

A late winner away at Doncaster in the promotion season

I was also lucky enough to be at the Mansfield game, me and the old man started walking out and then city were awarded a penalty so we ran back in. Tinman put it away and so we stayed. If that had been a minute later i would have and probably still would feel sick. Quite a few city fans had already left!

A couple of McCombe headers for me

An equalizer to make it 2-2 away at Middlesbrough in extra time in the cup

A late winner away at Doncaster in the promotion season

I was also lucky enough to be at the Mansfield game, me and the old man started walking out and then city were awarded a penalty so we ran back in. Tinman put it away and so we stayed. If that had been a minute later i would have and probably still would feel sick. Quite a few city fans had already left!

been following city nearly forty years home and away and only anyone at mansfield when roberts scored the winner can tell you how mental it was we was still celebrating the equalizer when the unthinkable only 4 mins earlier happened also v hereford in 86 freight rover at the gate was unreal-about time we had a cup run i reckon

Louie Donowa v gas as it had been years since we beat the. Ran on the pitch and hugged Mark Aizlewood as closest player & he said calm down mate it's only a game!!! Went into work BT next morning as a new manager & got called in by big boss who seen me on the pitch and asked was it appropriate & not a touch juvenile? It was &. got a right rocket but it was worth every second

christ I forgot about that one - was there too - remember the chant 'the welsh are ******* shit, and now you're gunna believe us' - ha ha !!

Seem to remember that marked the return to Swansea of "Prodigal Son" Terry Yorath as Manager. "The Welsh are *******g s**t" was shortly followed by "Yorath is back, Yorath is back !!"

Archived