IGNORED

Nostalgia

LongwellRed

ok - there's a few of these threads on here due to these (currently) quite depressing times.....but can you remember the time you felt the most amazingly incredible euphoria at a city goal - if so which...?

A few spring to my mind (Ralph Milne away at York when we were going for the play off's, Tinman at Anfield,etc) but i think the one I went most berserk after must have been the Louie Donowa winner against the sags in the last 5 min at the gate in 1991. I was in the Dolman B Block that day above the away end. God we went absolutely nuts with the massed away support absolutely devastated. Superb ! rofl2br.gif

The only time i've seen Ashton Gate go as berserk as the Donawa goal was Trundles & McIndoes goals against Palarse, Donowa goal i can c the ball spilling out of Parkin hands now and Donowa launching himself at the ball and with Holloway missing that penalty things don't get much better in life than that (football terms may i add).

Nobles at Palace in Play offs was brilliant and for sticking in my mind for some reason was tony thorpes last gasp equaliser at home in the cup agaist a non league team (which i cant remember )Then again at home to Hartlepool in play offs was amazing

I have several.

Roberts v Hartlepool (no further comment needed).

Thorpe vs Kingstonian at home in the 2001 FA Cup (an equaliser in the final seconds of added time for those of you who can't remember)

Ralph Milne away at York, May 1988 (Ken Mental)

Glyn Riley at Wembley 86 (because it reduced the great Terry Cooper to tears of absolute joy and pride)

Ivan "RoadRunner" Sproule vs Southampton a couple of seasons ago

Jamie McCombe away at Doncaster in 2007 (shit game, we were outplayed, but we won)

There are more, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

For me it has to be the David Noble beauty against Plymouth at ashton gate on a tuesday night to pull it back to 2-2 in the last minute. the only reason this 1 really sticks out above the rest is because i said to my mate that we will score a last minute goal and it will be a David Noble beauty! how right i was. as soon as he hit it i was going mental. its was brilliant!!!

It's got to be Noble at Palace for me, I've never seen an away end explode so much. It was just fantastic, after playing so well a draw felt almost depressing, so when it hit the back of the net it was just pure ectasy. What a goal to win a game. The Hartlepool game's got to be up there as well. I wasn't at the Mansfield game, but that must have been something special.

I have to agree with the Clive Whitehead strike in the 4th minute that sent us to the old promised land in 76 though we then had to hang on for 86 minutes.I have still got a piece of the turf that my Dad got for me that night.

Added to that Donnie Gillies beating Norman Hunter to slide the ball home in the FA Cup 4th round at Elland Rd against the then mighty Leeds Utd.The game was actually played on a weekday afternoon because of power shortages.Great memory especially as Donnie was on the front of nearly every national paper with his Tam o'shanter on.What a team that was.I think Leeds were unbeaten in 29 league games from the start of the season.I then remember being picked up from my 11 plus at QEH to be stood on a wooden stool in the old open end to see us lose to Liverpool 1-0 via John Toshack.

Christian Roberts - Not only one of the most emotional moments, but also one of those times you could feel Dolman stand bouncing underneath you....

Tony Thorpe scored one at the Atyeo end against the gas in a derby at AG after a thrilling run and cross by Aaron Brown. That one got me off my seat alright. I think it made the score 3-1 on the night. Anyone remember that one, and the date? Not as crucial as the others mentioned here, but a cracker all the same.

Tony Thorpe scored one at the Atyeo end against the gas in a derby at AG after a thrilling run and cross by Aaron Brown. That one got me off my seat alright. I think it made the score 3-1 on the night. Anyone remember that one, and the date? Not as crucial as the others mentioned here, but a cracker all the same.

we won 3-2 in the end, it was a Friday night about 2 days before Christmas in 2000, I believe it was also the first 'Red and White night', that match made my Christmas

Afraid I'm too old to remember many of them, but these few:

(in no particular order)

1 - Chris Garlands winner vrs League Champions (and soon to be crowned European Champions) Liverpool on the Monday evening which actually set up the epic Thursday evening against Coventry.

2, 3, 4 & 5- The four goals in the Coventry game. The first two by Tommy Hutchison, and the ultimate feeling of dejection simply added to the euphoria and ecstasy of the Gow and Gillies goals.. Incredible. As I type my throat dries, my neck hair (that's all I have now) stands on end and a tension filled smile covers my face. How lucky was I to be one of the estimated 15,000-16,000 City fans in attendance.

6 - Paul Mardons strike vrs Nottm Forest in the Littlewoods Cup Semi Final 1st leg away. Again, so lucky to be there, but live on TV. How Third Division Bristol City had the audacity to go 1-0 up against the then European Champions, on their own tump!!!! Fantastic!

7- The first goal vrs Rotherham to confirm promotion to Championship. Emotional stuff after losing my dad earlier that season.

Obviously there are then the ones already mentioned, Nobles strike at Palace, and Trundles winner in the return play off match. Donuwa's header against Rovers after they'd pipped us to the title the previous season. Martyn Hursts strike against the blue noses (1-0 down, 2-1, we knocked Rovers out the cup!!!) and Kenny Strouds rocket in the first derby after we'd climbed back up to the Third Division.

And then, Goodfellows and Roberts goals against Hartlepool.

Carl Shutts opener in the playoff semi final 2nd leg at Sheffield United. Bedlam!!!!

On top of this, another time I will never forget, is the play off final matches, after defeating sheffield United, against Walsall. Having lost 1-3 at home we were 2-0 up and cruising when Ralph Milne missed an absolute sitter from what I remember to be inside the 6 yard box, which would've won the game and promotion.

Cherished memories, all thanks to my father who took us to Ashton Gate for the first time in 67-68.

BRISTOL CITY....AN ADDICTION

Lee Miller's header from a corner after 3 minutes at Grimsby Town and the first City goal my son ever saw.

We went on to win 2 - 1. (Frighteningly dangerous overhead from Aaron Brown that should have been disallowed)

Tinnion went mental in front of us at the end. That was 10 wins on the trot and we went top of League 1.

We were singing "We won't be coming back here" but promotion did not happen (again)

Brilliant.

we won 3-2 in the end, it was a Friday night about 2 days before Christmas in 2000, I believe it was also the first 'Red and White night', that match made my Christmas

Didn't Rovers go ahead after about 10 seconds in this one? Pretty sure I remember Beadle scoring for us just after half time or something. And the run from Brown was about 100 yards.. brilliant.

equally as good, if not better for bonkersness was Carl Shutt scoring away at Bradford, in the 1st or second minute of the quarter final.

Yeah, was there for that one. It was Alan Walsh though. Had just taken our places and immediately got surged down about 20 yards. Ended up in front of a bloke with an air-horn. My ears were ringing for 3 days after. :winner_third_h4h:

definately trundles, match was so tightly poised and momentum was with them, i just remember as soon as the ball landed at his feet and he controlled it perfectly, i knew it would end up in the back of the net....for what it meant taking us to the 30m pound game and our first ever visit to the new wembley it has to be the best.....it also meant the shackles were off and for the rest of extra time we absolutely crushed them....

shame about the final

What about Noble's cracker in the FA Cup replay away at Boro about three seasons ago ?

Interesting that "Nobes" is mentioned several times in this thread.

Is this a player we should never have let go ?

Was hardly a cracker. Put through on goal it and went in despite the keeper getting a touch.

Still went mental though chant6ez.gif

If you want a Noble cracker, you cant beat the goal at selhurst. Incredible jubilation in that away end!

Didn't Rovers go ahead after about 10 seconds in this one? Pretty sure I remember Beadle scoring for us just after half time or something. And the run from Brown was about 100 yards.. brilliant.

They did score very early, I arrived in the Atyeo to see the net bulging, which was a bit of a shock as I didnt realise the game had kicked off. Its been said about Thorpes goal (from the Brown cross) that the Atyeo stand sucked the ball into the net...quality night

Been a long time since I posted but hear goes!!!!!

1. Stevie Nev against Hereford - knowing we were going to Wembley for the first time was great.

2. Donowa's against the Gas - had been sooooooo long since we beat them and the disgraceful booing in the minutes silence set the atmosphere up.

3. Tinman at Liverpool - think most people will remember how they felt with this one.

4. Mardon at Forest - as above.

Up the City!

By a country mile...Lee Trundle's extra time winner to take the club to CCC playoffs

I really enjoyed David Noble's winner up at Selhurst, we'd just conceded a late penalty and although we'd have taken a 1-1, felt we'd done enough to win the match, then up pops Nobs with the most wonderful hit and it flew in the top corner, I think I nearly passed out, I was shouting so much.

I think any late winner is a wonderful feeling, especially in the big games, which we had a lot of in Gary's first few years with us, also loved Boom Boom's late equaliser up at Middlesbrough in that FA Cup game that we lost on penalties.

Oh if only Gary hadn't lost the dressing room, they were good times under him

John Galley from outside the box against Sheff Utd.

The game ended 1-1

I was a little tacker clinging to the railings behind the goal at the East End

My Dad said Galley was a carthorse but to me

he was a hero

Happy days (at the bottom of the second division - least we forget)

U Reds.

Archived