IGNORED

David James Observer Column

View from the Dolman

http://www.thisisbri...il/article.html

I really think we should get rid come January. It really looks as if he doesnt want to be here.

I don't think he is really saying that. It is an honest reflection on his first months in the Championship. There is clearly a massive step down from the Prem to the Championship and he has taken time to re-adjust. I am sure that all of the new signings have felt 'what the hell am I doing here', more than a few times this season.

I am not sure why people get on his back all of the time.

I really think we should get rid come January. It really looks as if he doesnt want to be here.

An excellent, honest report in my eyes.

He doesnt "slag" us off, he is just saying how he has come from the gold paved roads of the Prem and found himself on a cobble stoned rickety path here with us in the Championship.

Regardless of what we think of our club, David James is someone who has played at the HIGHEST level for 15/20 years. At a level where the players that are there, practically have everything done for themselves, including getting their back sides wiped. He has played at a level that us as fans, just dont associate ourselves with. I dont think we realise how pampered these Premier League stars are.....

It seems to me DJ is pretty much saying that. Its almost as if he is admitting he came here with the "im a prem player" and its been a big wake up call. He is just telling the truth....some people may think he is criticising his team mates by saying he has a faster train of thought then them....however its the truth. If they were on the same wave length as DJ...we would be in the prem, or at least higher up the leagues then we are now

He doesnt once give me the idea he doesnt want to be here. Ok, he says about at times he wonders what he is doing here, however I think we would all think the same if we were in his position. Its a natural instinct when things are going wrong, which they have been for us.

I think we have to stop trying to find a negative with DJ, and enjoy the fact we have one of Englands best, and most experienced goal keepers here

It looks like David thinks we have finally turned the corner and are begining to click, so no I don't think he should go in January. He has admitted he has found it hard in the Championship, the way we play and our expectation levels, hopefuly now the team will become stronger week in, week out.

tbh, I'm expecting him to stay with us for the rest of the season, we'll have a great run in and he'll stay on with an extension to his contract for next season.

Not being a happy clapper, being realistic and expecting the team to do what we've expected from the start.

Let's hope the Spurs boys don't get recalled and that the Maynard\Stead attack is as good as we all know they can be! (and hope that Pitman gets a few games too!.....and Vokes! ;) )

Yeah that's it... lets get rid of the best keeper we've had in years (perhaps ever) and our biggest ever signing because of a newspaper report where he doesn't even suggest he doesn't want to be here.....

I really don't get people sometimes.

Refrshing to see a footballer being direct and honest, rather than smoke and mirrors and trotting out the odd well used cliche.

He has every right to question being at the club. Since he has joined it has been a massive shambles.

...but I have the feeling, he is enjoying the rollercoaster now - at least it isnt dull.

Top man, top pro!

Typical lazy journalism from the EP. They pick someone elses story (discussed on here yesterday) and publish it with their own interpretation

My thoughts exactly.

But.....This is interesting and wasn't in the article yesterday, his row with Carey.

'Recalling the occasion when the pair angrily pointed fingers at one another for nearly a minute following an on-pitch disagreement, James said: "It might not have looked too clever, but it was a good thing. It helped clear the air and proved that we all want the same thing. It's not that I don't think the players we have here are good enough, because they are. But I think they can all push themselves more.'

Maybe Jamo is doing Millens job! We've definately seen more passion from the players in the last two games.

My thoughts exactly.

But.....This is interesting and wasn't in the article yesterday, his row with Carey.

'Recalling the occasion when the pair angrily pointed fingers at one another for nearly a minute following an on-pitch disagreement, James said: "It might not have looked too clever, but it was a good thing. It helped clear the air and proved that we all want the same thing. It's not that I don't think the players we have here are good enough, because they are. But I think they can all push themselves more.'

Maybe Jamo is doing Millens job! We've definately seen more passion from the players in the last two games.

I think he's probably right. Fans talk about playing for the shirt. Up until the last couple of games I don't think the passion and commitment that the saying alludes to was in evidence. Not through the whole side anyway. They certainly had it on Friday.

I think he's probably right. Fans talk about playing for the shirt. Up until the last couple of games I don't think the passion and commitment that the saying alludes to was in evidence. Not through the whole side anyway. They certainly had it on Friday.

Now I'm only putting together what two people have said and reading between the lines so am willing to accept I could be wildly wrong.... however in a Millen interview recently I read a quote from him saying how they were encouraging DJ to give his opinions, and speak out about what needed to be adjusted in the defence or at half-time/full-time.

Having read this Observer article and heard DJ on SSN this weekend I believe he now feels part of the squad and able to communicate properly with his defenders. Perhaps Keith Millen has done a good managerial job of bring the two together?

I get the feeling as people have said before that DJ was probably ready to follow Coppell out the door.... but I think he's actually enjoying this fight we're in.

On slight aside I've had the pleasure of interview DJ once before and he came across as a top bloke, good sense of humour and interesting opinions.

Having read the original article, not the lazy EP one, I think we are very fortunate to have such an articulate and talented individual as David James at our club. It is refreshing to read honest reflections, rather than the ghost written cliches which are normally trotted out by most footballers. David James is a real asset to Bristol City, and I really hope he sticks around, which I think he will, as he is such a great professional, whose attitude and talent can only have a beneficial effect on the players around him. I like the way he says that with the right mind set and belief, how players at City could really improve their performances. His observation that games are won in this league due to errors rather than ability is probably pretty accurate in general, which is why when Stead scores a goal like he did on Friday it really stands out! Interesting about the ball, the powers that be in football don't get much right, so is this just about money and sponsorship,and means that the balls used in the Championship and the joke beach ball which was used in the last World Cup are down to the moneymen? Why do Nike provide the balls for the Premier league, yet Mitre provide them for the Championship, this is not for the good of the game and entertainment value, but a nice big cash cow for the FA. Surely they should be consulting players, rather than scientists (and accountants) in their research to improve the quality? Or is this just a load of balls?

Cant see whats wrong with the BEP report to be honest.

They make it clear that its taken from DJ's column in the Observer, many people in Bristol (City fans) would not have read the original column (or seen it here on Otib) so I think its good that they have brought this (very interesting) article to the attention of the wider community in Bristol.

As far as I can see they have made a good summery of what David James said in his column article... & included extra taken from a different DJ interview giving us an insight into the public onfield argument between him & Carey, how that seems to have cleared the air and how things are generally looking promising now regarding team bonding, understanding & overall positivity within the group.

I found it interesting anyway, I'm sure many others have too.

(seems some people want to bash the Evening Post just for the hell of it.. whats the point?.. sometimes we have issues with some reports & quite rightly have a pop at them for it.. sometimes its credit where due -even if its a report of a report already covered elsewhere (doesnt automatically make it bad because it isnt an 'exclusive' or original).

Cant see whats wrong with the BEP report to be honest.

They make it clear that its taken from DJ's column in the Observer, many people in Bristol (City fans) would not have read the original column (or seen it here on Otib) so I think its good that they have brought this (very interesting) article to the attention of the wider community in Bristol.

As far as I can see they have made a good summery of what David James said in his column article... & included extra taken from a different DJ interview giving us an insight into the public onfield argument between him & Carey, how that seems to have cleared the air and how things are generally looking promising now regarding team bonding, understanding & overall positivity within the group.

I found it interesting anyway, I'm sure many others have too.

(seems some people want to bash the Evening Post just for the hell of it.. whats the point?.. sometimes we have issues with some reports & quite rightly have a pop at them for it.. sometimes its credit where due -even if its a report of a report already covered elsewhere (doesnt automatically make it bad because it isnt an 'exclusive' or original).

It's James' fault for saying things can be taken out of context in the way the EP has done, I was intrested and at the same time bemused to read his swipes at championship football, some good football is played and certainly around me the reaction to "keepers hoofing it up the other end" isn't a positive when the ball's up in the air unless the player it's aimed at has acres of space to run into.

An intelligently written piece though, maybe not too professional to mention that he was still feeling the effects of his stag do when he took Coppell's call, but as a supporter I found it intresting to read his story, even if he was to go in January I think we'd still be in a strong position and the defence have already learnt alot from working with him, I reckon he'll take a 12 month contract extension with coaching roles afterwards available for him

It's James' fault for saying things can be taken out of context in the way the EP has done

What? David James didn't say anything at all. He wrote a complete column in the Observer IN CONTEXT.

The Evil Post scumbag plagiarised it and added nothing at all apart from some pathetic snipes and undue emphasis.

What? David James didn't say anything at all. He wrote a complete column in the Observer IN CONTEXT.

The Evil Post scumbag plagiarised it and added nothing at all apart from some pathetic snipes and undue emphasis.

His words have been taken out of context, yes its poor journalism but thats the only way it can be justified, he actually wrote that he was still drunk when he received the call (for example) which any journalist would jump on if they were looking for a cheap story

plagiarising would be copying the complete article wouldn't it?

I might be thick or something but I still cant see a major problem with either article.. having read both I feel I know a little more about things now than I did before (so whats the prob?)

Quiet amusing to read that but for being drunk at the time DJ would never have envisaged a future at Bristol City :) ... How many of us thought we were under the influence of something when early reports suggested we had signed Englands No 1 fresh from action in the World Cup..? - most thought 'no f* * * ing way until it was confirmed and the reality sunk in.

Then Coppell walked, Milly got the job and the dust is now finally settling...

His words have been taken out of context, yes its poor journalism but thats the only way it can be justified, he actually wrote that he was still drunk when he received the call (for example) which any journalist would jump on if they were looking for a cheap story

plagiarising would be copying the complete article wouldn't it?

The only way anybody should be judging what David James wrote is by reading the COMPLETE article.

Not by reading the Evil Post's deliberately misleading bullshit mashup of it.

Criticising James for the hatchet job they've done is ridiculous IMO.

He's every right to write a column without someone stealing the words, re-arranging them and focusing on the trivial to make shit headlines.

I might be thick or something but I still cant see a major problem with either article..

The evil post article should just say "Did you know David James writes a column in the national press? Here's a link".

It adds no value whatsoever and to anybody just glancing at the first para and not paying close attention to the one place they mention the other article (presumably most people that read that toilet paper) it looks like he's just done a very negative interview.

What does the Evil Post article add to the original?

God, some of you are so stupid, the man is paid 15,000k a week yet isn't happy that he has to clean his own boots, and only came to City because he was drunk when he took the call.

If you are happy to waste your hard earned cash on watching someone who is happy to take the piss out the club its up to you, but don't defend DJ simply because the article was literate, thats what the broadsheets are there for..

God, some of you are so stupid, the man is paid 15,000k a week yet isn't happy that he has to clean his own boots, and only came to City because he was drunk when he took the call.

If you are happy to waste your hard earned cash on watching someone who is happy to take the piss out the club its up to you, but don't defend DJ simply because the article was literate, thats what the broadsheets are there for..

Yes i'm sure he only joined because he was drunk, i mean it's obvious he must of signed the transfer forms when he was off his rocker the same night, at no point would he of had the chance to say "No thanks". As has already been said he could of joined Celtic or Sunderland on double the wages, so how is he "taking the piss" out of the club?.

I will feel like crying if all the thick as pigsh*te fans drive one of the best English goalkeepers out of this club.

Me too & very well said.

I said from day one of this season. The only people to blame for us in the bottom of this league are the defenders in front of DJ. Not DJ himself.

Yes i'm sure he only joined because he was drunk, i mean it's obvious he must of signed the transfer forms when he was off his rocker the same night, at no point would he of had the chance to say "No thanks". As has already been said he could of joined Celtic or Sunderland on double the wages, so how is he "taking the piss" out of the club?.

He is showing no respect, how on you think the other 'lesser' players feel when he comes out with all this patronising talk - inspired or just a little resentful?

This was a purely commercial venture for the club, there is no way he will stay after this season and I personally think the sooner he is off the payroll, the better.

He is showing no respect, how on you think the other 'lesser' players feel when he comes out with all this patronising talk - inspired or just a little resentful?

This was a purely commercial venture for the club, there is no way he will stay after this season and I personally think the sooner he is off the payroll, the better.

Archived