IGNORED

25 Years On

22A

In 1986 City won the Freight Rover Trophy and watching the DVD the other night it struck me how much the game and it's trappings has (IMO) deteriorated in the last 25 years.

For the regional final 2nd leg, some youngsters couldn't see clearly so they were allowed to stand on top of the dugouts.

The players didn't wear squad numbers, instead the number on their back related to the position they played in.

The players didn't need names on their shirts either, fans & commentators recognised faces.

5.00pm Thursday the ticket office closed, but not to worry if you hadn't yet bought your ticket as they'd be on sale at Wembley on the day.

I loved that final - if you think things are tough now, you should have been around then. It was awesome to play at Wembley after nearly going bust and propping up the league. Watching Terry Cooper in tears after the game should be required viewing for any city manager before they take the job. Someone must have the link.

This is the commitment we need.

That was a great day. I'm always dissapointed with cup finals these days. The sense of occasion seems to have gone a little. When we went to Wembley in the 80's you could savour the build-up without having some twonk talking crap over the loudspeaker or being bombarded with advertising. There was ofcourse the marching band which also seems to have gone. What dissapoints me most though is that the losing team doesn't do a lap of honour any more, Bolton did. Probably because the fans disappear even quicker than the team. I think Man United started that tradition, didn't win one year so went off for a cry, boo hoo.

In 1986 City won the Freight Rover Trophy and watching the DVD the other night it struck me how much the game and it's trappings has (IMO) deteriorated in the last 25 years.

For the regional final 2nd leg, some youngsters couldn't see clearly so they were allowed to stand on top of the dugouts.

The players didn't wear squad numbers, instead the number on their back related to the position they played in.

The players didn't need names on their shirts either, fans & commentators recognised faces.

5.00pm Thursday the ticket office closed, but not to worry if you hadn't yet bought your ticket as they'd be on sale at Wembley on the day.

There was also the communal bath which I doubt they have now. Not sure if that's necessarily a retrograde step.

Stevie Neville's winning goal was superb in the Hereford match, watch the way he dummies the keeper.

TC talking about strengthening the squad for the next season, "There's more than enough money for what I want to do.......I'm not going to be the one to put them into bankruptcy again...... what's important is that in 50 years time, when we're all dead and gone, Bristol City are still playing at Ashton Gate."yes.gif

Have we ever had a manager who identified with the fans more than Terry Cooper?

When I went down to get my tickets for the Bolton final I was queuing at the hatches at the end of the Williams Stand. When my turn came I was amazed to see that it was Terry Cooper himself who served me, handed me my tickets and took my payment.worship2.gif

Looking back, the Terry Cooper era was one of the most enjoyable periods to follow BCFC.

Another detriment to the modern game; those moving or flashin adverts around the ground that whilst attracting potential customers are distracting to fans watching the game and presumably the players also as they will just notice a movement out of the corner of the eye.

TC talking about strengthening the squad for the next season, "There's more than enough money for what I want to do.......I'm not going to be the one to put them into bankruptcy again...... what's important is that in 50 years time, when we're all dead and gone, Bristol City are still playing at Ashton Gate."yes.gif

When I went down to get my tickets for the Bolton final I was queuing at the hatches at the end of the Williams Stand. When my turn came I was amazed to see that it was Terry Cooper himself who served me, handed me my tickets and took my payment.worship2.gif

Looking back, the Terry Cooper era was one of the most enjoyable periods to follow BCFC.

Although there is no way I'd want to repeat midweek trips to Halifax and visits to Rochdale and Hartlepool or experience fourth division football ever again, there is no doubt that the bond between those few fans who went in those days and the honest bunch of triers who played for us (on what were let's face it, wages not much more than we all earned in those days) made that time very special in our re-birth.

As you say, Terry Cooper was a great, honest bloke.

TC .....good times indeed...............exciting football as well........a lot of young names brought in .....Chandler , Crawford, Economou, Erington Kelly , Forbes Phillipson Masters , not to mention the older guys who had stuck around , Shaw , Ritchie, Garland , and the ones who "made" it for years to come......Newman , Riley , Llewy ,

The excitement & atmosphere of the SF 2nd Leg at AG was tremendous.......

"Wemberleeee Wemberleeee - we're the famous Bristol City and were going to Wemberleeee"

Sang that all the way home and allday everyday at work between then and the final!

Read TC book where he recalled being in England WC squad for 1970 in Mexico - he said that looking back he realised how lucky he was to be roomed with the great Jack Charlton because when all the other young players were lazing around the pool or playing cards and wasting the time away JC had dragged him out to see the historic sites of Mexico city and so on .....mainly the Cathedrals & churches but an education for a young footballer all the same.....although he admits he didn't quite see it that way at the time!!!

Also mentioned the way the players would gather at the back of the team coach on the way back from away games to hear Joe Jordan tell stories of his time at clubs like Leeds / Man U & Juve and so on.........Elder statesmen of football for young'uns to look up to............something that is genuinley lacking these days

Makes you wonder where we could have been now if we had found a FANANCIAL backer like SL back then.......

And the prize for winning?

A Freight Rover Van!

Rooney wouldn't cope with prizes as big as that.

I think he would cope fine - a Freight Rover van would be just big enough to carry his weekly wage packet home!

I was also served by Terry Cooper. Had moped in those days and still had helmet on when got to hatch - TC said 'how many do you want son?' as I took my helmet off - he then said 'sorry you're far too good looking to be a lad"!!

Is one of my few and far between claims to fame - funny came up in conversation again just the other night!

Archived