IGNORED

Defeat Tomorrow A Major Setback

SJC

The author is trying to place greater importance on the game tomorrow than there is reality.

Millen has recently said that he and the players look at spells of games and set a point target that they want to achieve in said spell. A defeat tomorrow, although a disapointment would not be the end of the world as we know it.

There are no 'six pointers' in October and teams don't get relegated in October either.

I don't think a defeat would be a major setback unless we get well and truly stuffed.

We are away against a team with a new manager and we all know how teams can suddenly put in super human performances once a new manager arrives.

We are also bottom of the league and just because we have performed better in the last 2 games does not mean we have all of a sudden become world beaters.

Anyone on there day can beat anyone in this league so for me we probably have as much chance of winning this game as losing it.

I think it will be a draw tomorrow.

I don't think a defeat would be a major setback unless we get well and truly stuffed.

We are away against a team with a new manager and we all know how teams can suddenly put in super human performances once a new manager arrives.

We are also bottom of the league and just because we have performed better in the last 2 games does not mean we have all of a sudden become world beaters.

Anyone on there day can beat anyone in this league so for me we probably have as much chance of winning this game as losing it.

I think it will be a draw tomorrow.

I would say defeat tomorrow would not in itself be a major setback, but that it could, if a big defeat, lead to the resurgence of confidence to disappear and the effect of that could be a major setback 2 or 3 games further down the line. A defeat, if handled correctly, should not be allowed to be seen as a major setback for the players and club and I would say this is the idea being put forward by Millen at the moment with his targets from batches of games and not just each one as it comes.

My concern is as others have mentioned, Boro have their new man in. That said, it is often forgotten when clubs with new managers get stuffed and struggle for a while, but its all to easy to remember when new managers get wins.

A well written article all the same, would like to see more match 'reports' from Mr Coombes, I expect they'd be fairly balanced and unbiased.

Defeat tomorrow seems inevitable really but it won't be a massive setback or terminal. The Preston game is much more important.

Let's hope that the team have not conceded the match in such an easy fashion. Nothing is inevitable, City have the wind in their sails and are a team that is starting to play well (and finally starting to collect points).

I think the only inevitable thing is that two teams will be going onto the pitch to win the game. The outcome, who knows??

Got a feeling we will pick up a point tomorrow grinding out a 0-0 or 1-1. Four points from our next two games would be serious evidence of a corner having been turned.

I'm really pleased to hear Millen talking about targets over several games and not talking about 'must wins' any more. Those comments before the Norwich game were crazy.

It is going to take a long time and quite a few games to get out of the mess we are currently in, defeat tomorrow won;t be the end but it will be another set-back.

I was fairly confident of getting something before TM took over there, now it will be a very hard battle to get anything......I will be happy with a goalscoring point.

And if we can start like we did at Baaaaaaaaardiff, then Boro won't come back from that.

BCAGFC

To be honest, i'm not that confident about tomorrow. Boro have a new man in, they'll be playing for their futures and, most importantly, the new manager is a home-town boy, returning to save the club he supported as a boy and taking charge for the first time in front of the home fans. Personally i'd be pretty chuffed with a point, but as others have said, if we can simply play well and not get stuffed we shouldn't have anything to fear from Preston

The only positive thing is that all those Scottish players came down to play for wee Gordon and so if they couldn't play for him, they won't play for Tony (even though half of them have before!)

The first 20-30 minutes will be crucial tomorrow, if we can can stay at 0-0 then I think we are in with a chance, the new manager effect will obviously lift Boro, but lets face it they are in the bottom 3 because they are not a good team, if we last half an hour then I think we'll begin to take control and go on and take at least a point

It will be a interesting game, I think if we play our football and defend as we have done in the last couple of games we have a good chance of picking up something. I think the pace in the side could cause Boro problems. If Adaomah is back on form, Haynes and Rose linking up with Stead then why can't we get something? We have picked up points against better teams than Boro. Not to mention we made a decent great start at Cardiff.

I think we should go out there with no fear and just play! I think we will score, another 1 - 1. Come on you Reds!

To alot of people on here, any defeat at any time is a MAJOR setback when of course its not.

The only MAJOR setback defeat we will experience this season is the final defeat that takes us down (which will Not happen). Now that will be a MAJOR setback.

For the record I think we will win tomorrow. We have had 2 good results against teams with alot more confidence than boro will have and I think it will take time for boro to sort the mess out.

Agree 100% with that Artical, we have turned a corner so lets not wreck our recovery before its even started! Boro are in the relegation zone for a reason, that reason is because they havent been good enough, so whats going to change in 1 week? no 1 man (Mowbray, who some of there players dont like) can come in and wave a magic wond and sort there problems out! we need to go there and put them on the back foot streight from the off, the crowd will get frustrated and we will win as a result. as for the Preston game, well thats massave, we must win its as simple as that as i see them as relegation candidates more do than boro.

http://www.bristol24...ild-on-revival/

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

I'm certainly not going to argue with this Stephen Coombes fellow - he looks like a mean dude in close up and doesn't appear to even shave before writing his articles.speechless-smiley-040.gif

The last thing I'd want to do is get on the wrong side of this bloke, so if you bump into him SJC, tell him I agree.unsure.gifwink.gif

I'm certainly not going to argue with this Stephen Coombes fellow - he looks like a mean dude in close up and doesn't appear to even shave before writing his articles.speechless-smiley-040.gif

The last thing I'd want to do is get on the wrong side of this bloke, so if you bump into him SJC, tell him I agree.unsure.gifwink.gif

He's a pussycat really Nogbad.

Unless you happen to disagree with him about Lee Trundle, or maybe that was a previous alias . . . .

The issue for me, why Id consider tomorrow so important, is that if we lose it places massive emphasis on the Preston fixture, and if we struggle then Millen is back firmly in the spotlight.

The issue for me, why Id consider tomorrow so important, is that if we lose it places massive emphasis on the Preston fixture, and if we struggle then Millen is back firmly in the spotlight.

That is a fair point. But losing tomorrow would not be a 'major setback'.

I'd be well happy with a draw tomorrow but how good would an early goal for us be? Could deflate the crowd and their players big time.

Bottom of the table as we move in to November.Been there a couple of weeks.I would say that Millen needs to be pushing hard for a win tomorrow.Results now are as important as at the end of the season.And the relaxed laidback Millen needs some sense of urgency.I fear the man thinks he has a lot of time to turn things around when the fact is he hasn't

Another way of looking at it regarding maintaining the up-turn in morale is in terms of performance. If we go up there and do ourselves justice but happen to lose on the day then that's just the way life goes sometimes, I'd hope we'd be man enough to deal with that. I don't think a thrashing would be on the cards, if we do turn up.

If on the other hand we don't turn up and happen to lose; that would be disheartening given recent events.

In terms of results alone as someone said, no one's ever been relegated in October!

That is a fair point. But losing tomorrow would not be a 'major setback'.

I'd be well happy with a draw tomorrow but how good would an early goal for us be? Could deflate the crowd and their players big time.

Disagree, after going so close at Cardiff then performing well in the home games to lose at Boro would be a huge setback, especially considering they are down there with us.

He's a pussycat really Nogbad.

Unless you happen to disagree with him about Lee Trundle, or maybe that was a previous alias . . . .

While we continue to occupy a place in the bottom 3 Keith Millen's position will inevitably, and rightly, remain in the spotlight.

As much as City fans seem prepared to give KM an extended chance to prove himself worthy of managing a Championship club many will also see getting at least a point at a struggling Middlesbro' as a must.

Middlesbro' have lost 5 out of their last 6 games and gained a single point from the other. They are a very poor team on an atrocious run of form and Mowbray can do very little to alter those facts overnight.

They are there for the taking imo and a defeat today would indeed be a major setback to City and a manager whose poor return from his initial games in charge makes it absolutely imperative he racks up the points asap.

Archived