IGNORED

Boro

Rob k

You only have to travel throughout Europe to see the different atmosphere at grounds. Brought about by, no H&S of sorts. Massive Ultras influence. Lots of Alcholhol, and in many grounds Drugs. Many 'fans' wouldn't even get into a ground in the UK, because of checks on the turnstyle.

Society and fans in this country have been successfully dumbed down, to except a sanitised 'safe' environment.

You say all that like it's a good thing. I think it sounds awful.

I'm happy to live and let live and I don't mind if other supporters want to have a drink before the match, stand up and sing songs during it, but personally I would rather sit and watch the football. I don't consider that dumbed down, in fact quite the opposite.

You say all that like it's a good thing. I think it sounds awful.

I'm happy to live and let live and I don't mind if other supporters want to have a drink before the match, stand up and sing songs during it, but personally I would rather sit and watch the football. I don't consider that dumbed down, in fact quite the opposite.

Current football in the UK, is only suited towards people like you.

It should all be down to choice, thankfully the club are relaxed about the east end (maybe after the worked out the council wont ever do anything about standing).

Many many fans across the country dont have a choice, which is grossly unfair.

Standing makes a massive massive difference in atmopshere, so does the design of the stand.

Bang on, if for example you had the fans of Royal Antwerp who played their home games in an exact replica of the Ricoh stadium the noise would still be superb, the working class British football culture died a long time ago and has been replaced with middle class family supporters in the main. This has still not happened on the continent, it's still a working mans game and the price of tickets prove this.

No matter how the "old school" think they can return the good old days to British grounds by keeping existing stadium or building bowls, or building huge home ends behind the goal, it wont make much of a difference. The game has moved on, new supporters are here and the old football terrace culture where men were men has gone, sad days for some, others would see it differently. Personally I loved standing on the terraces and my enjoyment of matches has decreased because of them no longer being around.

The best I believe we can hope for is unreserved seating in the new stadium should it be built, that way those wishing to sing and make a noise will still congregate behind each of the goals and those with families will head for the sides of the ground along with the old timers where they can enjoy a cup of Bovril in peace.

If Royal Antwerps fans were subjected to decades of UK laws, policing and regulation they would also be gentrified by now. Europe is not a valid comparison.

I have never heard anybody saying they think they can recreate the past only avoid the mistakes leading to the creation of stadiums like the Riverside and their assocaited poor atmsosphere.

Ah, Smash your face in playtime?

grifty ........

:doh:

You are trying to re-arrange my words whilst Rome burns.

The issue here, if I am not mistaken, is the apparent abuse (possibly sexual) of greyhound genus dog species in the North-East of england.

Now this ugly subject is out in the open, it is up to people like you and me to give it the airing it deserves - and to alert the appropriate canine charity - presumable either the RSPCA or the RSftPoWB (Royal Society for the Prevention of Whippet Buggery).

This is NO laughing matter.

END OF.

:nono:

grifty ........

:doh:

You are trying to re-arrange my words whilst Rome burns.

The issue here, if I am not mistaken, is the apparent abuse (possibly sexual) of greyhound genus dog species in the North-East of england.

Now this ugly subject is out in the open, it is up to people like you and me to give it the airing it deserves - and to alert the appropriate canine charity - presumable either the RSPCA or the RSftPoWB (Royal Society for the Prevention of Whippet Buggery).

This is NO laughing matter.

END OF.

:nono:

honestly, I cannot get it!

Smash your playtime face in?

honestly, I cannot get it!

Smash your playtime face in?

Hello :trumpet:

Shall I draw you a diagram?

It's a shame: we have smilies for almost everything except dog-rearing north-east style.

..... that reminds me, I fancy a chinease tonight ........

Current football in the UK, is only suited towards people like you.

It should all be down to choice, thankfully the club are relaxed about the east end (maybe after the worked out the council wont ever do anything about standing).

Many many fans across the country dont have a choice, which is grossly unfair.

Standing makes a massive massive difference in atmopshere, so does the design of the stand.

Spot on.

I was their too, and thought exactly the same. I call it the '1000 yard stare'. People sat in their bigger plastic seats, in a sterile, atmosphere. Staring into space, with a glazed look on their face.

I'm sure Clubs have found a way of dumbing down the fans, to make them less hostile and easier to control. It has, crossed my mind.

People say, it's the fans that make the atmosphere, and not the ground. Well...these modern type of grounds, drain any enthusiasm, you have, out of your system.

It seems if a Ground is not too comfortable, then it generates a better atmosphere. Just an observation...

Comfortably Numb...has an all too different meaning now. Looking forward to AV...not. :rolleyes:

THANK YOU.

I completely agree. We are not going to fill a 30,000-40,000 seat stadium and make a hell of noise like the teams in Europe. It will be 70% empty with fans dotted around staring aimlessly and the game. We may have a nice new bowl to located just outside of the community, with better access and high tech toilets etc, but I can guarantee if Ashton Vale gets the go ahead everyone (and I mean everyone on here too) will look back and miss Ashton Gate. Also, if you think we're going to have a kop end full of ultra like displays and noise, then you are deluded. I have seen fans from all clubs - Bolton, Boro, Coventry etc, and they all talk so highly of their previous ground and generally loath their current "arena".

Here's Boro's old ground:

Skip to about 0:40 and see the difference. I know its a different era with terracing, but its still like a completely different set of fans. Middlesbrough is meant to be quite passionate city when it comes to football, now look at the passion at the riverside today (even with a new managers first game...).

Ashton Vale will tear the heart right out of Bristol City.

THANK YOU.

I completely agree. We are not going to fill a 30,000-40,000 seat stadium and make a hell of noise like the teams in Europe. It will be 70% empty with fans dotted around staring aimlessly and the game. We may have a nice new bowl to located just outside of the community, with better access and high tech toilets etc, but I can guarantee if Ashton Vale gets the go ahead everyone (and I mean everyone on here too) will look back and miss Ashton Gate. Also, if you think we're going to have a kop end full of ultra like displays and noise, then you are deluded. I have seen fans from all clubs - Bolton, Boro, Coventry etc, and they all talk so highly of their previous ground and generally loath their current "arena".

Here's Boro's old ground:

Skip to about 0:40 and see the difference. I know its a different era with terracing, but its still like a completely different set of fans. Middlesbrough is meant to be quite passionate city when it comes to football, now look at the passion at the riverside today (even with a new managers first game...).

Ashton Vale will tear the heart right out of Bristol City.

I'll tell you what'll rip the heart and soul out of BCFC... not doing anything about the £12m debts from last year ALONE.

If the fans who want to sing get together and actually sort out a place to stand together then the atmosphere will be absolutely no different to Ashton Gate, Infact, anything is possible if the fans want it... but City fans (British people in general) are apathetic to say the least.

I however will not die if there is a requirement to evacuate the stadium, and It won't take me half an hour to get out of the ******* place.

I'll tell you what'll rip the heart and soul out of BCFC... not doing anything about the £12m debts from last year ALONE.

If the fans who want to sing get together and actually sort out a place to stand together then the atmosphere will be absolutely no different to Ashton Gate, Infact, anything is possible if the fans want it... but City fans (British people in general) are apathetic to say the least.

I however will not die if there is a requirement to evacuate the stadium, and It won't take me half an hour to get out of the ******* place.

Lets not exaggerate. If it was that much of an emergency you'd just spill onto the pitch.

Lets not exaggerate. If it was that much of an emergency you'd just spill onto the pitch.

I sit in the very back row of the B block, I know the stand isn't wooden, but having seen the Valley Parade fire on video I'd say a few people in the dolman would be in some danger should an evacuation be needed...

Obviously I wouldn't die, but I've never quite understood how that stand was allowed to be built..

Boro have punched above their weight for years due to a wealthy benefactor who now seems to have run out of ideas. It seems the fans have not taken very well to the fact that they aren't as big as they thought they were. I love to see them go down.

I hope to God the above post is never said about us in the forseable future.

I would suggest given the history of the East End that City fans have proven themselves to be pro active rather than apathetic.

Suggesting that an open airy stadium will sound no different to Ashton Gate is incorrect. Sound reverberates and amplifies off surfaces, which in an open stadium does not happen in a similar manner.

The evacuation time of the stadium is not half an hour.

There fans were terrible yesterday and completely outsung by 300 city who made the trip, on a serious note I hope to god when we get our new ground we can still make it a little bit hostile for the away teams. Every new ground I've been to bar possibly Swansea the atmosphere has been rubbish.

They were noisy enough for the first 10 minutes or so. A bit like our opening game against Milwall at Ashton Gate this season in fact. It's the same at every club, give the fans something to shout about (a new manager for example) and they'll make some noise for a while. Until they realise that they're still shit.

I would suggest given the history of the East End that City fans have proven themselves to be pro active rather than apathetic.

Suggesting that an open airy stadium will sound no different to Ashton Gate is incorrect. Sound reverberates and amplifies off surfaces, which in an open stadium does not happen in a similar manner.

The evacuation time of the stadium is not half an hour.

Firstly, I didnt say the evacuation time was half an hour. they were two completely seperate points. It does however take half an hour to get out of the ground sometimes at the end of a game from the back of Dolman stand.

really though, I love the eastend, but it's not really that many in the movement is it? I mean, we've got 40,000 fans apparently (we took that many to a game twice in the last 10 years) as a percentage of that, 1000 or so isn't much. the rest are happy to sit, not concerned with adding to the atmosphere, but willing to moan when it's poor.

yet there is no evidence to suggest that our new stadium will not generate noise better than Ashton gate... if we get a few thousand behind the goal creating an atmosphere no matter what the stand is like it will be similar to AG. the main problem with the new grounds around the country is the supporters have not organised themselves. If we have enough people interested in the singing and chanting side to football (which forza eastend would suggest we do) then we can organise a singing section or an unreserved section.

I know you're anti stadium, but I fail to see how the design of the new ground will have such a huge impact on atmosphere as you continually imply? especially if you think we have "proactive" fans!

Firstly, I didnt say the evacuation time was half an hour. they were two completely seperate points. It does however take half an hour to get out of the ground sometimes at the end of a game from the back of Dolman stand.

really though, I love the eastend, but it's not really that many in the movement is it? I mean, we've got 40,000 fans apparently (we took that many to a game twice in the last 10 years) as a percentage of that, 1000 or so isn't much. the rest are happy to sit, not concerned with adding to the atmosphere, but willing to moan when it's poor.

yet there is no evidence to suggest that our new stadium will not generate noise better than Ashton gate... if we get a few thousand behind the goal creating an atmosphere no matter what the stand is like it will be similar to AG. the main problem with the new grounds around the country is the supporters have not organised themselves. If we have enough people interested in the singing and chanting side to football (which forza eastend would suggest we do) then we can organise a singing section or an unreserved section.

I know you're anti stadium, but I fail to see how the design of the new ground will have such a huge impact on atmosphere as you continually imply? especially if you think we have "proactive" fans!

So the new stadium now will sound similar instead of absolutely no different to Ashton Gate!

If you read the architects stadium report you will realise the design concept is very different to Ashton Gate. An enclosed stadium does help to create more sound than one which is open, liken the effect to that of being in a echoing garage.

Supporters have been organsing themselves e.g Boro, Derby & Leicester etc and the result is hardly inspiring so far.

Building "endless" stadia has had a significant impact on support. There are no longer the focal points of yore, no longer the Kops and Shelfs to identify with aqnd mass in. A dull swathe of uniform seats is just that ... deserts of the mind. Gaggle of young kids by the away fans and odd pocket around the stadium struggling to create a bit of noise is the norm in the bowl.

Poor design leeching sound is poor design. Fans can't alter that and neither will a unreserved section. Whats the rallying call here? Its crap, but we have a unreserved section, pricing structures as an inducement instead would offer more incentive.

I sit in the very back row of the B block, I know the stand isn't wooden, but having seen the Valley Parade fire on video I'd say a few people in the dolman would be in some danger should an evacuation be needed...

Obviously I wouldn't die, but I've never quite understood how that stand was allowed to be built..

You could say the same fr countless grounds throughout the country tbf, there's always going to be crowding in such a filled place. There are many reasons to back up moving to a new stadium, but I don't think claiming Ashton Gate is a "death trap" as some have, (I know this isn't exactly what you said) isn't really one.

Archived